1 hour ago, Bimmers said:

Amazing build!

Thanks mate!

Ramone50000

20200229-105020.jpg

Glad I got it tested for WR.

hanski
On 16/02/2020 at 18:06, Ramone50000 said:

Yes mate - was lucky enough to find a nice gen dial and insert.

Beauty of a build! 

I know it’s pretty ungentlemanly but would you share some of the costs (dial, insert, and movement)? 

Is that a later service insert with a SL pearl? 

Ramone50000
6 hours ago, hanski said:

Beauty of a build! 

I know it’s pretty ungentlemanly but would you share some of the costs (dial, insert, and movement)? 

Is that a later service insert with a SL pearl? 

Thanks mate. Yes it's a gen service insert with SL lume.

Cheers!

Ramone50000

20200413-183757-01.jpg

TempusTortus

I'm late to the party, but have to say that that is a beautiful build! 

I've been contemplating something similar and towards these ends have acquired a few gen parts. These include a pristine 1570, DW with open 6 &9s, gen 1680 white dial,gen  bezel ring and insert.  I've gone with the Clark crystal.

Still needed are crystal retainer, spring and, of most concern, a case. I'll worry about a bracelet later. 

It's looking like real 1680 cases - especially from a year that matches my other gen parts - are bloody impossible to get hold of.  Especially true since my money tree withered and died! It's looking like a VN case is the way to go. 

SO: for those of you gone this route and assessed the options:  which VN case would you choose - and why?

Thanks!

jd1566
On 14/04/2020 at 06:52, Ramone50000 said:

What case did you end up using?  I'm looking at completing my own 1680 build and getting parts sourced.. The hardest, the movement, I already have, and am considering a VN case from Ruby which looks pretty decent.. Can't seem to find any others at a decent price with nice lug engravings.. HR was an option for a while but the engraving is pretty attrocious..  anyway any pointers you could give would be greatly appreciated

Ramone50000
On 07/08/2020 at 09:56, TempusTortus said:

I'm late to the party, but have to say that that is a beautiful build! 

I've been contemplating something similar and towards these ends have acquired a few gen parts. These include a pristine 1570, DW with open 6 &9s, gen 1680 white dial,gen  bezel ring and insert.  I've gone with the Clark crystal.

Still needed are crystal retainer, spring and, of most concern, a case. I'll worry about a bracelet later. 

It's looking like real 1680 cases - especially from a year that matches my other gen parts - are bloody impossible to get hold of.  Especially true since my money tree withered and died! It's looking like a VN case is the way to go. 

SO: for those of you gone this route and assessed the options:  which VN case would you choose - and why?

Thanks!

Thanks mate. Appreciate the kind words.

Unfortunately I can't remember which particular VN midcase was used for this build. I sourced it through a member from another forum.

Agree - nice gen midcases are hard to come by and are crazy expensive. I've been tempted a few times but it will just bring the cost too close to gen prices - might as well get a gen at that point.

Cheers!

Ramone50000
21 hours ago, jd1566 said:

What case did you end up using?  I'm looking at completing my own 1680 build and getting parts sourced.. The hardest, the movement, I already have, and am considering a VN case from Ruby which looks pretty decent.. Can't seem to find any others at a decent price with nice lug engravings.. HR was an option for a while but the engraving is pretty attrocious..  anyway any pointers you could give would be greatly appreciated

I don't know which particular VN case was used.  I'll take a pic of the engravings, maybe someone can chime in and help identify it. Thanks mate.

Cheers!