tribefan

Tudor Snowflake kinda sorta rep review

tribefan

The process I have used for buying watches so far fall into two general categories:

Research, research, research, source, purchase, wait

OR

See picture, oh good deal, oh in US, buy, go figure out what I just bought.

This one definitely falls into the latter category, like the vast majority of purchases so far. I'm just not all that concerned with whether it's a bad fake or a super clone. I'm more concerned with do I like it and what's it gonna cost. Being really new to this whole hobby, my approach has been to experiment a lot with less expensive things and if I make mistakes on that, it's no big deal. Worst case scenario so far has been to send a broken watch out for a repair that cost me less than 100 bucks, but that's a different thread.

I've been eyeing up the Tudor line, it's on the list. Weird thing is I have zero desire to shop Rolex, which is a long story no one here wants to hear, but I really dig the Tudor line and history. I did a bunch of online window shopping for vintage Tudor's a while back, but the snowflakes were so far out of pricing reality I didn't even bother looking. That all changed after this purchase.

This is really more of a homage or fantasy build than a rep. It is a 5508 Tiger Concepts big crown, DG2813 with a Raffles dial and hands that a member across the way built. It came sans strap and it basically cost me the price of a Tiger watch head. I ordered a Nero and a Tudor deployant that are on their way. In the meantime, I have another Nero on it that I bought for a different piece. I have a cheapie DHG Tudor also on the way with a SS bracelet. If that fits great, but I'm guessing it won't. Either way is fine, it looks fantastic with the leather.

My research tells me this is a 9401 dial. I'm not sure about the hands. I've seen other snowflake builds with the gold hands, but I have not seen any actual gens with the gold hands. Bezel spins both ways, doesn't click and is shiny metal. Crown and back is unbranded. Case is wrong, does not have the CG's and the lug shaping is off. (BTW, the seller was 100% up front about everything, was a pleasure to deal with and was gracious enough to share info on other builds he has done as well). Having said all that, I put a strap on it, put it on and wifey said "oooh that is pretty". And it really is. This thing looks a lot nicer, like striking, in person than in the pics. In the circles I run in, if someone says hey that's a fake, I'll shake their hand for knowing and tell them yeah, I lived in Asia for 4 years and this watch is kick ass for 1% of the price of a real one. I'm not going to wear it to a board meeting.

Speaking of pics.......

eVWj5.md.jpg

eV2fX.md.jpg

eVKWI.md.jpg

eVhQc.md.jpg

eVL2i.md.jpg

eV3x4.md.jpg

eV5up.md.jpg

eVmJ2.md.jpg

eVidt.md.jpg

I'm learning a lot about watches, movements, frankens, yada yada yada. Have to say, if there was a franken I would want to piece together, a 9401 would probably be it. I actually prefer the dial on the 7601, but I do not believe they did one in blue/blue. I haven't been able to find a photo of a gen one, which is interesting because JKF does a rep one in blue/blue.

Maybe I'd even do a rose logo 7928 :notworthy:

I am really chuffed with this watch and that is all that matters, but having said all of that, happy for feedback here. Just trying to learn all of the little intricacies of these bad boys.

• Like 4

BravoDelta

@tribefan Saw your post yesterday of this one on an oyster bracelet :thumbsup2:.  I think this looks great on that Nero. I have a custom Nero on it's way to me now...can't wait! 

• Like 1

tribefan
7 minutes ago, BravoDelta said:

@tribefan Saw your post yesterday of this one on an oyster bracelet :thumbsup2:.  I think this looks great on that Nero. I have a custom Nero on it's way to me now...can't wait! 

Thanks BD, good point. I'll have to switch it over this weekend. That Nero's fits a lot of my watches, it's a great strap and JohnG is tops to work with.

Theviking

Man that is a mash up, it's like those parts shouldn't go together... but it does work.

The gold hands complement the brown strap and blue face beautifully, the Pam buckle is kinda jarring, I'd put it on an unbranded butterfly deployment.

Thanks for sharing.

BackInHisBox

Really dig the look. Wish my JKF Tudor 9401 I just ordered had the correct blue dial and insert. One day I may replace them with a more accurately rendered blue piece, but for now I’m happy with my purchase.

Rocla

Not bad but on the gen dial there is nothing between "oyster" and "prince" : it's "oyster prince" and not "oyster-prince".