FudgyDocker

Ball Roadmaster Marine GMT

FudgyDocker

Well, after 7 months of waiting it's finally arrived.

I pre-ordered this back in June, as I fancied a nice GMT but was disappointed with the level of reps out there. So I thought I'd get a nice gen. instead. At the time this was supposedly a world first, a day/date GMT. I don't know if that's still the case, but at the end of the day, I'm not really bothered about that. This comes as part of a limited edition of 1000 blue & 1000 black dial. You had the option to pick your own limited edition number, but I was a little late to the party so there wasn't much in the way of 'attractive' numbers available, but I did manage to pick 911, although it wasn't really important. I declined the offer of free message engraving, for obvious reasons. You could also buy additional straps etc, but didn't fancy paying an additional £190 for a rubber strap, or £80 for a Nato

Ball have created a unique take on a “caller GMT” with an independently-set GMT hand (as opposed to a “traveller GMT” that utilizes an independently set hour hand for adjusting local time while on the go). Rather than using the crown, however, to set the GMT hand the movement has an in-house GMT module that uses patented push buttons to move the hand in one-hour increments, forwards and backwards. This allows you to keep not only the date, but the day, aligned with the GMT hand.

In lieu of lume, this uses 27 tritium tubes for luminosity, so there's no need to charge them, as such. There isn't a dark place anywhere in the house at the moment, so I'll post a lume shot later.

Specs are as follows

Case Material: Titanium
Dial: Blue

Dimensions: 40mm
Crystal: Sapphire, front and back
Water Resistance: 200 meters
Crown: Screw down

Movement: Automatic calibre BALL RR1203-C (2836-2 ETA 'Chronometre' base with in-house GMT module)
Strap/bracelet: Titanium / Stainless Steel bracelet

Pics:-

WzuGv.jpg

WzsCK.jpg

WzMi8.jpg

• Like 3

NCRich

That's pretty cool.  I saw that advertised and considered it.  Kept popping up on my FB feed.

Nice watch!

simey83

Very nice mate. Lovely pickup!! Wear in good health

Not Quite Dead

Good looking watch, initially thought it looked too big for me as I have settled into a 42/43 maximum size but knock me over with a kipper it is 40mm.

So doesn't go with the furniture so get that into M2M proper quick, but in the meantime enjoy wearing it and do post that lume shot I do love tubes in the dark.

SCShrek

Ooooghhhh.  Pretty!!! Definitely need a lume shot on that one. And, no one can ever tell you you are lacking any Balls... ;)

rikracy

Worth the wait, I'd say......very nice pickup, Sir!!

Enjoy!!:D

FudgyDocker

@Not Quite Dead - I thought the exact opposite, in that 40mm would be too small for me, but it wears larger than it's 40mm would suggest.

I'll pluck up the courage to resize the bracelet later, and post a wristie & lume shot. Currently petrified of scuffing up the titanium!

GingerApple
16 minutes ago, SCShrek said:

And, no one can ever tell you you are lacking any Balls... ;)

I heard he's only got one Ball!

Nice pick up big man.

FudgyDocker

Wristie & a (not very good) Tritium shot!

WhpTL.jpg

WhloQ.jpg

• Like 3

cvp3

Jeepers it’s beautiful.

Bill_C

Wow, that is really nice.  I particularly like the two-toned chapter ring. They could have gone with a solid color but those red accents really add some nice depth.

SCShrek

That’s it. Gonna need one. Thanks fucker! :lol:

FudgyDocker
8 minutes ago, SCShrek said:

That’s it. Gonna need one. Thanks fucker! :lol:

I know you want a nice GMT, but thought you were more of a vintage man, these days?

The lockable pushers are really cool for moving the GMT hand backwards and forwards an hour at a time. Apparently it shows 3 time zones simultaneously, but haven't fired up the DVD yet to suss that bit out.

SCShrek
27 minutes ago, FudgyDocker said:

I know you want a nice GMT, but thought you were more of a vintage man, these days?

The lockable pushers are really cool for moving the GMT hand backwards and forwards an hour at a time. Apparently it shows 3 time zones simultaneously, but haven't fired up the DVD yet to suss that bit out.

I’m an equal opportunity GMT guy... anything thats shiny...lol. That watch is whole lot of gorgeousness. 

Mike R
9 hours ago, FudgyDocker said:

pick 911, although it wasn't really important. 

911 is a significant number in the US. It is used as our emergency calling system to the police in and it also represents the date of the infamous  terrorist attack and falling of the twin towers in New York City!  I’m thinking a firefighter, policeman or New Yorker Would appreciate both the number and watch.

lovely piece,  congratulations and enjoy :clap:

• Like 1

Flinnt

Very nice indeed. 

To an insane, mathematically preoccupied, counts everything when he walks into a room, total straight jacket and padded cell kinda guy that I am, a GMT watch tells the time in every timezone. Not 2, not 3, every timezone. 

My mind must set the GMT hand to GMT. Then moving the bezel gives you every timezone. To monitor GMT+10 move the bezel to 10 at the top (0+10), to monitor GMT-4 move the bezel to 20 (24-4). Your normal hands show you the time where you are, GMT hand shows GMT regardless of the bezel- the numbers are on the circumference of the dial on that watch, and the bezel tells you the time in any timezone. 

processengr

Awesome! You will be able to see the light from the trits across the room at night!

FudgyDocker
30 minutes ago, Flinnt said:

My mind must set the GMT hand to GMT. Then moving the bezel gives you every timezone. To monitor GMT+10 move the bezel to 10 at the top (0+10), to monitor GMT-4 move the bezel to 20 (24-4). Your normal hands show you the time where you are, GMT hand shows GMT regardless of the bezel- the numbers are on the circumference of the dial on that watch, and the bezel tells you the time in any timezone. 

And, Bingo! There's the three time zones. That'll save having to watch the DVD. Cheers, dude!

Khronos

A piece of advice on how to take a decent lume shot - lay the watch on a flat surface in a dark room. Charge with a flashlight. Lay the phone on the side on the same  surface, turn off the flashlight, try to focus, take a shot. And you should get something like this:

IMG-20200101-164005.jpg

:)

I'd be really interested to see a good lume shot of this one. 

FudgyDocker

Here we go. That should be better!
@Khronos @SCShrek

WAy7o.md.jpg

• Like 1

RussP
11 hours ago, TheGingerFerret said:

I heard he's only got one Ball!

Nice pick up big man.

Where's @McGilli when you need him?

He's the only dude I know with 3-Balls :balls:

GingerApple
4 minutes ago, RussP said:

Where's @McGilli when you need him?

He's the only dude I know with 3-Balls :balls:

Almost a year since he last logged on sadly. Hope he's okay.

WA9zJ.png

Glaude
6 minutes ago, TheGingerFerret said:

Almost a year since he last logged on sadly. Hope he's okay.

He's okay, but I think he lost interest in the hobby

I see him active on his Strava profile, biking like a maniac ! :lol: 

Psssniper

Wanted a Ball ever since I saw this video. Advertising works!!

• Like 1

GingerApple
6 minutes ago, Glaude said:

He's okay, but I think he lost interest in the hobby

I see him active on his Strava profile, biking like a maniac ! :lol: 

Good to know!

And also a bit creepy that you stalk members on fitness apps.....