Sign in to follow this  
GC

The state of my union address...

GC

Sometimes you have to stop and smell the roses... just to make sure they are roses and not daffodils :wheredidthehostingmoneygo?:

Where to begin, rep collecting is a slippery slope... a slope I enjoy riding all the way down, then racing back up to do it all over again. It's the search, the hunt, the comparisons and side by sides, the reviews and countless decisions till a mind is made up...the orders and the payments then the waiting...oh the waiting... finally the delivery, the unpacking...the smile from ear to ear...the pics, the threads, the comments, the comradery... and the enabling of others... it's like a drug!

Best part about it is, the side effects of this drug are nicer and nicer watches, an empty wallet sure...but stunning watches and a collection that others drool over! How can that be a bad thing...it can't!

But every once and a while... you need to sit back and say WOW! You have to appreciate what you have and enjoy each and every watch in it's own right. Some purchased just because, others because something special. You have to realise you are in the golden age of a great hobby, a time were you are spoiled for choice & quality. A time where all you have to do is decide what it is that you want and how much you are willing to pay to get it.

I have a wonderful collection! I enjoy my collection everyday! I buy what I like and I like what I buy. Sure, not every watch is an Ultimate, some get worn less and some get worn more. Several got gifted to close friends and some get gifted here on the forum. There are only so many days in the week, and only so many times you can change your watch a day...

I have come to the point in my collection where I'm feeling good... I have watches I could have only dreamed of in the past. I have watches I have always wanted and I have watches I never thought of owning... and I'm enjoying all of them! I look around and am content, I am where I want to be. I'm taking a break from the new and concentrating on what I have, getting some fixed that need new life, others modded to make them all they can be...

I am surrounded by roses!

mspangl

Well said mate !

You gotta help me to convince my gf that the Virus Horologicus isn't a bad thing at all :wheredidthehostingmoneygo?:

digger2

GC, great post!, I am beginning to feel a little bit like you, bless me!

I think this hobby in a year have given me more than any other hobby in 5 years mostly because of all great people. I'm also coming to the point where I have started to give away watches which feels great. I have not an unlimited budget but buying 30 reps in one year have not made me have to limit my vacations abroad to less than three and having a new house in the big city and a new car so so say ;-)

Looking forward to the future of RWG. Thank you GC for being a great member with all great photos and watches and also for the strap that you so generously gifted at the strap give away.

David543

Fantasic post. Sums up just how I feel. I never dreamed a few years ago that I could have the watches I do now, they are amazing. As are the people I have met here.

:wheredidthehostingmoneygo?:

E-Dub

Attention Dealers! Attention Dealers!

We have here a well respected forum member who, with no apparent drug use, is feeling content.

Lest it becomes a trend, please roll out the next super-rep model and let his eye's glaze over and drool form in the corner of his mouth. Back in line, addict!!!

Seriously GC, congratulations on finding zen like happiness in your collection. I hope to be there someday.

"I admire addicts. In a world where everyone is waiting for some bline, random disaster, or some sudden disease, the addict has the comfort of knowing what will most likely wait for him down the road. He's taken some control of his ultimate fate, and his addiction keeps the cause of death from being a total surprise." - Chuck Palaniuk

E-Dub

beijer

Very nice said GC, i'm just starting and hope one day i'll reach where you are now...

So what's your favourite watch?

WatchMe007
So what's your favourite watch?

I am trying to imagine how there could possibly be an answer to that question... :-)

I am also a NOOB, but absolutely appreciate the sentiment of the OP.

I really enjoy the "global village" that has been formed here. Pretty amazing when it seems like only yesterday a letter written on special paper would take 10 days to get to Europe and phone calls were a dollar a minute back when a dollar bought more than a gallon of petrol in the US.

This hobby could not have existed 10 years ago, and it may have a limited lifespan as technology changes our world even more. I for one feel a certain sense of urgency.