northantsrich

Lost in UK post with Royal Mail Signed for 1st class. Any thoughts?

Rokerite

Sorry to hear about this but as others have said for the paltry amount in difference it is worth paying for RMSD as it is fully tracked throughout it's journey so at every stage on their system Royal Mail know which Postman last was in possession of your parcel. Buyer and sender can see where parcel is with full tracking and I think off the top of my head you are insured of up to £200. Peace of mind for buttons extra.

• Like 1

Adit

"...Other courier services are available..."

:D

deju

A sore one if it doesn’t indeed turn up, I would always advise using RMSD, while I don’t know if anyone else has noticed the lacklustre delays in updates, you get a basic insurance. 

because of the ‘guarantees’ they seem to take it a bit seriously. 

Del

There is something fishy here and I suspect we are not getting the full story...

1. Who is the buyer and have they actually asked the OP for a refund?

2. Does the OP have proof of postage?

3. Has the OP contacted Royal Mail to enquire about the package? If not, why not?

4. Why does the OP think he is being scammed?

5. Why would the OP think the package has been delivered but Royal Mail didn’t update their system AND the buyer would know this and then perhaps use this information to scam him?

Sending a watch in the UK is easy. You keep proof of postage and if it doesn’t arrive then you claim Royal Mail. It either arrived or it didn’t, which can be proved by the “signed for” record.

• Like 1

deju
15 minutes ago, Del said:

Sending a watch in the UK is easy. You keep proof of postage and if it doesn’t arrive then you claim Royal Mail. It either arrived or it didn’t, which can be proved by the “signed for” record.

If you’re sending valuables, money or jewellery in the post, you should use Royal Mail Special Delivery Guaranteed®. This lets you to claim compensation if the post is lost or damaged. Valuables sent using any other service aren't eligible for compensation.

Our definition of jewellery includes: any precious metal that has been manufactured in such a way as to add value to the raw material, including coins used for ornament;

• diamonds and precious stones
  • watches - the cases of which are made wholly or mainly of precious metal
  • similar articles with an intrinsic value other than the value of the workmanship.

Wires
1 hour ago, Rokerite said:

Sorry to hear about this but as others have said for the paltry amount in difference it is worth paying for RMSD as it is fully tracked throughout it's journey so at every stage on their system Royal Mail know which Postman last was in possession of your parcel. Buyer and sender can see where parcel is with full tracking and I think off the top of my head you are insured of up to £200. Peace of mind for buttons extra.

Standard cover is £500 but you can pay an extra premium to cover up to £2500

Rokerite
1 minute ago, Wires said:

Standard cover is £500 but you can pay an extra premium to cover up to £2500

Wow, even better than I thought. :D

Wires
10 hours ago, splke said:

I do use 1st class signed for quite a bit 

You get the image if the signature and who signed for it plus tracking info 

10 hours ago, splke said:

I do use 1st class signed for quite a bit 

You get the image if the signature and who signed for it plus tracking info 

aFPbE.jpg

There is no tracking info as such, it says they have the parcel, the next update is when it has been delivered or attempted to be delivered there is nothing in between to say where your package is or has been

Del
47 minutes ago, deju said:

If you’re sending valuables, money or jewellery in the post, you should use Royal Mail Special Delivery Guaranteed®. This lets you to claim compensation if the post is lost or damaged. Valuables sent using any other service aren't eligible for compensation.

Our definition of jewellery includes: any precious metal that has been manufactured in such a way as to add value to the raw material, including coins used for ornament;

• diamonds and precious stones
  • watches - the cases of which are made wholly or mainly of precious metal
  • similar articles with an intrinsic value other than the value of the workmanship.

Didn’t realise the £50 compensation excluded jewellery.  In any case, my questions above are still valid... ;) 

GingerApple

It's not like RMSD is expensive.

aSn3b.jpg

1 hour ago, Del said:

There is something fishy here and I suspect we are not getting the full story.

Back door sale and automatic ban you say?

:ban1:

deju
1 hour ago, Del said:

Didn’t realise the £50 compensation excluded jewellery.  In any case, my questions above are still valid... ;) 

Yeah they don’t exactly make it obvious... gits!!! 

RMSD because of the guarantee seems to be the safest. I think the postie gets in shit if it’s not delivered   

Rokerite
6 minutes ago, deju said:

Yeah they don’t exactly make it obvious... gits!!! 

RMSD because of the guarantee seems to be the safest. I think the postie gets in shit if it’s not delivered   

Presumably at each individual leg of the journey a different postman signs it's way bill. If it goes "missing" it is quite easy for Royal Mail to see where and when it did go missing and which individual last had signed. Therefore they will be more careful by default.

northantsrich
14 hours ago, Del said:

Do you have proof of postage? If so then you have nothing to worry about, other than an obligation to claim the £50 compensation. If RM have no record of delivery then they are at fault and should pay up.

Del I have proof of postage.

Yea I also smelt something fishy, hence me asking for advice from the forum. I have never had a watch that I sent within the UK via first class signed for lost before so thought it would be good to ask others thoughts. 

This was an above the board sale that went through m2m, the original thread is below. 

1. Who is the buyer and have they actually asked the OP for a refund?
The buyer is Sebeys, he has 7 posts a became a member in March 2019. Yes he asked for a full refund and then asked for half the value. 

2. Does the OP have proof of postage?
Yes I have the original receipt. I also sent another watch at the same time to Phong over in the US and that arrived last week fine. 

3. Has the OP contacted Royal Mail to enquire about the package? If not, why not?
I have contacted the PO who said it was sent and was not left at the branch. I have also called RM and after hanging on for 20 minuets they disconnected me. I will give them a call later this week and see what they say.  From the site it says that after 15 days you should make a claim, I will work with the buyer to do this. As pointed out RM do not cover watches under the £50 compensation but I'll work to get that sorted so the buyer get that. 

4. Why does the OP think he is being scammed?
As others on the forum @adit have said it's not unknown for signed for delivery to just get left at the recipients address without a signature getting obtained. In the balance of probability I would say the later scenario is more likely than a first class signed for parcel getting lost. Not that I am saying that could not happen. 

5. Why would the OP think the package has been delivered but Royal Mail didn’t update their system AND the buyer would know this and then perhaps use this information to scam him?
If you look at the screen shot @splke posted you can see when you enter the tracking number if it's been signed for. When you enter the tracking for this item it's not showing as delivered. This seems fairly black and white but as @adit said this could just mean that no signature was taken and it was still delivered. If the seller enters the tracking number and sees the status is not signed for then they could say its not delivered. This is the case here and they have asked for a refund. As I say in the sales thread I was happy to ship this next day and thats what I did.

As you say Del "Sending a watch in the UK is easy. You keep proof of postage and if it doesn’t arrive then you claim Royal Mail. It either arrived or it didn’t, which can be proved by the “signed for” record." I have proof of postage and the RM status is saying it didn't arrive so I will submit a claim and pass on the the claim amount the the buyer. 

Problem solve. 

In the future I will make a note to use RMSD.  
Edited by northantsrich

deju
2 hours ago, TheGingerFerret said:

It's not like RMSD is expensive.

aSn3b.jpg

Back door sale and automatic ban you say?

:ban1:

I mean do you even carry money? One presumes you just send the maid to deal with trifle things 

Chiquita Fanjita
19 minutes ago, deju said:

I mean do you even carry money? One presumes you just send the maid to deal with trifle things 

Nah it won’t be the maid. @TheGingerFerret has got her providing one on one “relief” work in his personal chamber ;)  It’ll be Gieves he sends down to the post office, once he finishes washing the classic Rolls :D 

• Like 1

Adit

21 hours ago, Adit said:

The seller said he would refund me,  as making a claim against Royal Mail was a complete waste of time.

A little update to my story:

The seller refunded my payment. Message received earlier today from my seller;

"...Just for info, I decided to claim from RM after all and received cheque for full amount today!!..."
Bill

An acceptable outcome I suppose, although I would rather receive the item, obviously 

GingerApple
3 hours ago, Chiquita Fanjita said:

Nah it won’t be the maid. @TheGingerFerret has got her providing one on one “relief” work in his personal chamber ;)  It’ll be Gieves he sends down to the post office, once he finishes washing the classic Rolls :D 

3 hours ago, deju said:

I bet one of you wankers has a cleaner!!!

GingerApple
4 hours ago, northantsrich said:

As pointed out RM do not cover watches under the £50 compensation but I'll work to get that sorted so the buyer get that. 

It says it didn't cover jewellery etc and watches made from precious materials.

I think it covers non precious metal watches.

tribefan
8 minutes ago, TheGingerFerret said:

the-wolf-i-solve-problems.png

Chiquita Fanjita
2 hours ago, TheGingerFerret said:

:rofl: 

Ant0702

Amen I’m afraid. I provide the option to choose cover. If it goes awry, I don’t really feel it should be on me. I claimed for a genuine item once and it was a nightmare. Proving a £300 rep watch is not easy without some bending. Equally, as many have said, our postie often just leaves stuff on our doorstep, even if it requires a signature, so always a risk. That said, if it was someone I knew on here, I’d probably just write it off and refund if it was relatively low value. 

• Like 1

MetalMickey
On 18/01/2020 at 17:24, TheGingerFerret said:

It says it didn't cover jewellery etc and watches made from precious materials.

I think it covers non precious metal watches.

Yes watches (not made of gold) are covered. They’ve never rejected a claim for a lost parcel and I’ve claimed for lost two watches (one of which turned up eventually)

• Like 1

steveo75

Was it posting to a shared post area or a PO box? This probably doesn't help but I posted something  signed-for in the summer to a PO Box address and tracking never changed status from the fact I'd posted it, never said delivery had even been attempted, yet it arrived to the recipient fine. I was told a bit unconvincingly that a secure PO Box won't necessarily have someone there to sign but because it's secure the post is delivered there anyway. Meanwhile I've had a courier delivery last week where the app says it was delivered and signed for by me but it actually wasn't, and it turned up a few hours later with a bloke down the road...

• Like 1