Sign in to follow this  
niklas

Swiss Daytona rep from Mary

niklas

Hello Guys,

I'd really like to buy a Daytona rep but all the posts about the asian valjoux 7750's problems has made me hesitant to do so. I see that Mary offers a version with the swiss ETA 7750 28800BPH movement for $618+PP. What are your thoughts guys? Is it worth it? http://www.watch-international.com/index.p...products_id=671

Also I wanted to ask you. She says that there's no problems in shipping by airmail to DK (EU), anyone in EU who's done business with her and can verify?

Last. Anyone who has experience with her watches WR? She claims waterproof on some models.

Thank you!

BR, Niklas

nunu78

I think you should check,Robert aka PrestigeWatchCo listing as he is offering nice daytona possible, with better movement and pre service option.Also he shipped through UK to the problematic Locations in Europe.

Edited by nunu78

prestigewatchco

No point what so ever in buying Swiss if it's seconds at 6. The problem is not with the actual movement but the modified gears that are added in both Asian and swiss movement they will be the same mod using the same Asian parts

David543
No point what so ever in buying Swiss if it's seconds at 6. The problem is not with the actual movement but the modified gears that are added in both Asian and swiss movement they will be the same mod using the same Asian parts

+1

There have been rumours of an improved mod, but I have heard no feedback on reliability. As the mod is the same and reliability suspect I would either not get one or get a version of a historic one that actually didn't have the seconds at 6 and so avoids the proble. That way you can own a rep of an historic Daytona that may not go 'clunk' on you. :D

Vintage was the word I was looking for. Thanks X :lol:

Edited by David543

Member X

That is quite a lot of money! but a reasonable price for a Swiss 7750 - they are expensive!

The potential issue with that one is the seconds-at-6 configuration. 7750s have seconds-at-9 so Asian-made transfer gears are needed to transfer the seconds hand from 9 to 6. This creates a lot of friction and the result is a movement likely to fail, ultimately. :D

Robert (PrestigeWatchCo) has Daytonas with a new version of an Asian seconds-at-6 7750, which has some extra jewels in the movement to reduce friction. He has said they seem to be better, you can get them serviced by his watchsmith for just $35 before he sends them, and they are also a lot cheaper!

Mary does have great customer service but if you really are set on getting this model, Robert may be your best bet! :lol: Check his listings in his forum on here to see if it's listed, and drop him a quick PM to check if it's not.

Alteratively, look for a 'vintage' (pre-2000) Daytona with seconds-at-9. These 7750s are very reliable as long as you don't handwind them :unsure: (which you shouldn't need to do!)

EDIT: Wayyyyyy to slow typing on this phone :) lol

niklas
That is quite a lot of money! but a reasonable price for a Swiss 7750 - they are expensive!

The potential issue with that one is the seconds-at-6 configuration. 7750s have seconds-at-9 so Asian-made transfer gears are needed to transfer the seconds hand from 9 to 6. This creates a lot of friction and the result is a movement likely to fail, ultimately. :D

Robert (PrestigeWatchCo) has Daytonas with a new version of an Asian seconds-at-6 7750, which has some extra jewels in the movement to reduce friction. He has said they seem to be better, you can get them serviced by his watchsmith for just $35 before he sends them, and they are also a lot cheaper!

Mary does have great customer service but if you really are set on getting this model, Robert may be your best bet! :lol: Check his listings in his forum on here to see if it's listed, and drop him a quick PM to check if it's not.

Alteratively, look for a 'vintage' (pre-2000) Daytona with seconds-at-9. These 7750s are very reliable as long as you don't handwind them :unsure: (which you shouldn't need to do!)

EDIT: Wayyyyyy to slow typing on this phone :P lol

Thank you for your explanation!

Thank's for the advice guys! I'll keep on looking :)

KBH

I'd definitely go with Robert on the Daytona models. He says they have been quite reliable after servicing. And as he said, going Swiss is probably not very wise since you'd have way to much money invested in a movement that could be problematic.

Also, I think he has some of the seconds at 9 models which would be much more reliable.

Member X
I'd definitely go with Robert on the Daytona models. He says they have been quite reliable after servicing. And as he said, going Swiss is probably not very wise since you'd have way to much money invested in a movement that could be problematic.

Also, I think he has some of the seconds at 6 models which would be much more reliable.

I think you mean seconds-at-9 ;):)

KBH

Also, I think he has some of the seconds at 6 models which would be much more reliable.

I think you mean seconds-at-9 :D;)

yeah, something like that :)

powderfreak

I think you mean seconds at 9 ;) Edit: too slow, daaaarn :)

My personal opinion: Go with the vintage model, it's much more likely to survive (and looks better :D ).

If you desperately need the new Daytona, either get Robert's or (if you can afford it) try Mary's. I don't know for sure, but my believe is that the swiss movement will make a difference, plus I have read somewhere that the swiss movement uses more jewels. Better parts, better assembly and more jewels should end up running for a longer time, shouldn't it?

prestigewatchco

I would ignore the reading about the Swiss has more Jewels . The basic movement has 25 jewels Swiss or Asian the modification used to have 2 jewels now the later has 4 . So regardless of if you fit the seconds at 6 modification to Swiss or Asian if it's the old assembly it will have 27 Jewels total. There isn't or has there ever been a completely Swiss seconds at 6 movement all have used the Asian modification and all have had the same friction problems

powderfreak
I would ignore the reading about the Swiss has more Jewels . The basic movement has 25 jewels Swiss or Asian the modification used to have 2 jewels now the later has 4 . So regardless of if you fit the seconds at 6 modification to Swiss or Asian if it's the old assembly it will have 27 Jewels total. There isn't or has there ever been a completely Swiss seconds at 6 movement all have used the Asian modification and all have had the same friction problems

Okay, thanks to enlighten me, I did not know that :)

gasdoc

Swiss 7750s with sec at 6 were/are made. I have seen other forum members that acquired them in the past. I believe they are rare.

Concepta sells Swiss 7750 IWC mvt with sec at six.

All that said- I certainly doubt any rep ever came from china with Swiss seconds at 6 mvts.

Edited by gasdoc

prestigewatchco
Swiss 7750s with sec at 6 were/are made. I have seen other forum members that acquired them in the past. I believe they are rare.

All that said- I certainly doubt any rep ever came from china with Swiss seconds at 6 mvts.

Ok I will write this slowly for you in case you can't read fast

There are or never ever was a completely Swiss seconds at 6 daytona movement .

Now to break this down for you

NEVER= means no one has ever made

Complete = Movement made of all Swiss parts

Hope that clears it up for you

nunu78

Ok I will write this slowly for you in case you can't read fast

There are or never ever was a completely Swiss seconds at 6 daytona movement .

Now to break this down for you

+111111111111111111111111

Guanaco

Gasdoc believe us when we mention it's not worth it. Same modification, same problem. And like Robert said there isn't a completely Swiss seconds at 6, it's modified with Asian parts. My suggestion, go with a vintage Daytona, the reason I don't have a modern Daytona rep is because of the failure rate.

KBH

Ummm, maybe Rolex?? :picard2:

David543

Ummm, maybe Rolex?? :picard2:

:facepalm:

:suicide:

solkryssare

Niklas. + 1 on what Robert & co is saying. Also shipping directly from china to dk is a bad idea. You need a dealer who can ship from the uk. Robert does this....

prestigewatchco

Yes forgot about DK it's the kiss of death from China or anywhere in the far East direct for reps

niklas

Thank you for your replies everyone ;) Appreciate it.

And I'll stick with the transshipping then!