Theviking

Gen Pam strap comparison

Theviking

I love me a Pam, I often spot gens out in the wilds of the tube and more often than not, they're on a rubber strap.  The problem is all the rep rubber straps I've seen are been awful, attract dust, flimsy, visible seams, wrong rubber etc and IMO, a massive tell, so I've invested in a gen strap. Comparison to a new rep strap below.

20200124-124604.jpg

20200124-124634.jpg

20200124-124713.jpg

Interested to hear your thoughts and any tips on getting better rep Pam straps.

Complementary wrist shots

20200124-132257.jpg

20200124-132324.jpg

• Like 1

deju

My gen 177 came with Rubber and the burgundy (alligator?) strap. 

The noob strap shits all over the Gen imho. 

Theviking
5 hours ago, deju said:

The noob strap shits all over the Gen imho. 

I hear the noob straps are v good but I have struggled to find more details or strap only sellers. Any more details would be appreciated.

stfrance

I had the same issue. So, I thew away rep rubber bands because of the same issue told by @Theviking. Sometimes, it looked awful because of lots of dusts.

It may sound like weird. But I am using the thinner rep one for deployment with tang buckle because it does not attract dust at all. 

It feels better and lighter. I love it. I don't know other rep rubbers. But I guess other ones may have same quality.

Edited by stfrance

deju
7 hours ago, Theviking said:

I hear the noob straps are v good but I have struggled to find more details or strap only sellers. Any more details would be appreciated.

The strap I had  came with the v3 N series, I don’t know if they can be sourced separately. I think buying from Ali / DHG / eBay would run the risk of getting b stock with the defects you mentioned. 

I also had a KW/DSN modded watch after the rubber was not as good. 

Unfortunately the Marlin noob P series came one leather only, no rubber :( 

As the gen rubber was not great I bought a gen Horus winter camo... a  fool and his money! They are very soft and flexible but not a great finish. 

7 hours ago, stfrance said:

I had the same issue. So, I thew away rep rubber bands because of the same issue told by @Theviking. Sometimes, it looked awful because of lots of dusts.

It may sound like weird. But I am using the thinner rep one for deployment with tang buckle because it does not attract dust at all. 

It feels better and lighter. I love it. I don't know other rep rubbers. But I guess other ones may have same quality.

I had a deployant on a 026k the finish felt smoother, so makes sense what you say! 

GingerApple

Which strap is which in your comparison @Theviking? Gen top?

deju
25 minutes ago, TheGingerFerret said:

Which strap is which in your comparison @Theviking? Gen top?

Gen is the shiny one :) 

GingerApple

So the Gen doesn't have the little notches to hold the keeper in place?

Theviking
12 minutes ago, TheGingerFerret said:

Correct

Jibuti

Meh... PAMs should be on leather to get character... Rubber... I use for completely different purpose... ;)

stfrance
6 hours ago, TheGingerFerret said:

5 hours ago, Theviking said:

Correct

Hey Ginger and Theviking, isn't that having the notches for deployment one? I think both have different usage..  One is for tang buckle, the other one is for deployment. 

I think gen deployment one also has the notches too. If I am wrong, teach me mates..

Edited by stfrance

Pakito1100

I agree with you. Gene rubber straps are very different from any replica. I only know one replica that is minimally acceptable, Bodhy sells it in Repgeek. There are different colors. I have original rubber straps for both Tang and deplo. Having notches does not mean that it is only for use with deplo clasp. It depends on the watch model for which it is made. I have two original straps for pam 312 and they have notches. They are for use with Tang. I have an original strap to use with a 441/438 and it doesn't have them. And it is also for Tang. I also have two straps to use with deplo and they do have notches. Although I know that the Pam 252 deploy belt, for example, does not have. I insist, it depends on the model. However, it is true that the original straps give the watch a much better look than the rep. In my opinion.
In the detail photo I have put a keeper of a very good quality replica (Bodhy's is even better) next to the original. You can judge yourself. In the other photo is my 438 with its gen strap without notches and the original ones for 312.26b06ae161aa2b858f982bb0ea2d6834.jpg3dbab7133be7495adefd442b876c6311.jpg7667dc5a525fcb7870e3d9c0a751dfaf.jpg

Enviado desde mi POT-LX1 mediante Tapatalk

deju
On 25/01/2020 at 15:35, stfrance said:

Hey Ginger and Theviking, isn't that having the notches for deployment one? I think both have different usage..  One is for tang buckle, the other one is for deployment. 

I think gen deployment one also has the notches too. If I am wrong, teach me mates..

Yes the Notches would indicated that it’s for a deployant clasp in the gen :) 

stfrance
17 hours ago, Pakito1100 said:

I insist, it depends on the model.

Oh... I have not known that.. Thanks a lot..:thumbsup2:

15 hours ago, deju said:

Yes the Notches would indicated that it’s for a deployant clasp in the gen :) 

Thanks deju~~:thumbsup:

Pakito1100
Yes the Notches would indicated that it’s for a deployant clasp in the gen  
I'm sorry mate. As I said, you can see OEM straps for deplo with or without notches and the same for tang. It depends of model.

deju
11 hours ago, Pakito1100 said:

I'm sorry mate. As I said, you can see OEM straps for deplo with or without notches and the same for tang. It depends of model.

I’m glad you’re sorry. :Hug:

https://www.paneraisource.com/articles_straps.shtml

We are discussing this model style type of rubber. 

The only time you get notches on a tang is with a diver strap. Totally different style of strap.  (Far right) 

00014028-300x199.jpg 

I’m going to need part numbers if you want to tell me that all the top risti information sites lie. 

p.s genuinely interested to if there are these parts @Pakito1100 :) 

Pakito1100
I’m glad you’re sorry. :Hug:
https://www.paneraisource.com/articles_straps.shtml
We are discussing this model style type of rubber. 
The only time you get notches on a tang is with a diver strap. Totally different style of strap.  (Far right) 
00014028-300x199.jpg 
I’m going to need part numbers if you want to tell me that all the top risti information sites lie. 

p.s genuinely interested to if there are these parts [mention=75834]Pakito1100[/mention]  
Dear@deju.
I'm glad you have an interest in learning about Panerai. Really yes. 'Panerai source' is a great "unofficial" page where you can find any spare part for your Panerai watch. Of course. But it is also easy to use the official Panerai website. Or simply go to any AD and ask. It is the best way to learn. Ask. Trust me. The four straps you show in your photo are just a sample of the variety Panerai has for its watches.
I recommend you take a look at this reference MX0011QQ (Do NOT CONFUSE with MX00312X, which is made for a folding buckle). I have a unit of each of the two models in standard size (125/75) and reduced (115/75). All with notches.

It will be good for you. Really yes. It is possible that, due to some type of error that I do not know, and most of Paneristi that we have a Panerai watch, have manufactured a rubber strap for tang buckle and notches. And, attention to this unpublished detail, without being for diving (that is, accordion) .
I thank you for your interest in the references I can provide about Panerai straps, my friend, but it would not be bad to occasionally take a look at the official pages of the brands. Sometimes there are very interesting things.

Kind regards

GingerApple

Yeah @deju, you twat!

deju
1 hour ago, Pakito1100 said:

Dear@deju.
I'm glad you have an interest in learning about Panerai. Really yes. 'Panerai source' is a great "unofficial" page where you can find any spare part for your Panerai watch. Of course. But it is also easy to use the official Panerai website. Or simply go to any AD and ask. It is the best way to learn. Ask. Trust me. The four straps you show in your photo are just a sample of the variety Panerai has for its watches.
I recommend you take a look at this reference MX0011QQ (Do NOT CONFUSE with MX00312X, which is made for a folding buckle). I have a unit of each of the two models in standard size (125/75) and reduced (115/75). All with notches.

It will be good for you. Really yes. It is possible that, due to some type of error that I do not know, and most of Paneristi that we have a Panerai watch, have manufactured a rubber strap for tang buckle and notches. And, attention to this unpublished detail, without being for diving (that is, accordion) .
I thank you for your interest in the references I can provide about Panerai straps, my friend, but it would not be bad to occasionally take a look at the official pages of the brands. Sometimes there are very interesting things.

Kind regards

Cheers for the references! 

Believe it or not the people in the AD are not much use. Indeed I’ve been in a boutique to be told the bronzo didn’t exist. At which point a manager took over looking embarrassed. 

Does this mean with the update period correct versions are not available anymore I wonder. 

.... @TheGingerFerret ... Pakito is useful and helpful, be more like him :finger:

Theviking
1 hour ago, deju said:

Cheers for the references! 

Believe it or not the people in the AD are not much use. Indeed I’ve been in a boutique to be told the bronzo didn’t exist. At which point a manager took over looking embarrassed. 

Does this mean with the update period correct versions are not available anymore I wonder. 

.... @TheGingerFerret ... Pakito is useful and helpful, be more like him :finger:

The people in ADs are often massive geysers of shit. Over Xmas @semperfi55 (double fisting) and I were in the panerai boutique where I tried out a 1389 and pointed out a spec of dust on the dial. It shut him up.

semperfi55
2 hours ago, Theviking said:

The people in ADs are often massive geysers of shit. Over Xmas @semperfi55 (double fisting) and I were in the panerai boutique where I tried out a 1389 and pointed out a spec of dust on the dial. It shut him up.

Most awkward indeed, and literally minutes after he was harping on the limited number of pieces Panerai make a year as opposed to mass produced Rolex :facepalm:

Still, props to him for not losing his shit on the double phisting, unlike some on the wristcheck :rolleyes:

klockjohan

Interesting to see the different views on this subject.  I never really use the rubber straps. To flimsy. But, they are all reps. Should go to an AD and try a gen