scottyDog

Project 5517

scottyDog

So to start my build of a Rolex 5517 MilSub I've narrowed my choice of movements down to 2, both are 28,800BPH Hacking and accurate but have different attributes that might cause problems later in the build.

mlGc5.jpg

Although I would usually  go with the ETA I've been wearing a Miyota 9015 and been amazed at the accuracy, after 4 days it's still with +2 seconds not bad for a £70 movement, so any advise on which is the preferred movement and reasons not to use either?.. Just noticed I left out Accuracy for ETA as I'm not sure which version the 25 Jewel is guessing it's Standard would put it at: +/-12 sec/day up to +/- 30 sec/day

Edited by scottyDog

GingerApple

@NCRich and @GenTLe should be particularly useful here. I like the spreadsheet type thing btw, very thorough.

• Like 1

FudgyDocker

You discounted the Sellita SW200?

scottyDog

Agreed but I thought the SW200-1 was the same price and performance as the ETA, but the  Miyota was alot cheaper.

rusky27

Did the 5517 with cal 1520 not have a low beat movement - so both would be inaccurate if that bothers you.

I had one modded by Rolex addict with a 2836 the high beat didn’t bother me. 

I’m not sure but I think there are more hand / dial manufactures doing repro milsub hands for eta movements.
I could be wrong though

• Like 1

scottyDog

I didn't  know that...  Okay so the Cal 1520 was 19,800bph... are there any modern movements that match or are close to this or is this a dead end.

rusky27

A 21 j movement  like a dg2813 would be a good match I guess

scottyDog

I'm not a fan of Chinese Movements and  I plan for this watch to be serviceable... and accuracy is important to me.

rusky27

Well you could try an eta 2873 which is low beat also? Dial feet are same as the eta 2824 as far as I understand so you’d have a choice in dials from likes of raffles etc 

• Like 1

rusky27

Although I’ve never saw a decent bezel insert as the digits on the gen milsub  have a slight serif on them. “50” and “30” being most obvious. All in all It depends what rips yer knitting.

• Like 1

scottyDog

Yes the ETA 2873 looks good but it's not as common as the 2824-2, but the BPM is closer.

rusky27

Yup you’d need to find one in an old watch on likes of eBay then get it serviced 

• Like 1

scottyDog

mCUUt.jpg

22 minutes ago, rusky27 said:

Although I’ve never saw a decent bezel insert as the digits on the gen milsub  have a slight serif on them. “50” and “30” being most obvious. All in all It depends what rips yer knitting.

The only type close are these (above) on eBay which are not guaranteed to fit exactly.

scottyDog

mCyXk.jpg

Looks pretty close.. I'll put this on the shopping list £6.93... not bad.

rusky27

Do You have a base 5517 watch?

If so I’d just mod the existing insert with a “Yuki” pearl - at least you know the insert fits the bezel and watch. 

I think the numerals are too fat on this one. 

scottyDog

No I don't have a 5517 watch case, I'm guessing (and I know that's dangerous) that a standard 38mm Bezel will fit a 40mm case, even though the 5517 was actually 39.5mm... if not I'll have to buy different ones and try them until one fits... I did see a Rep Rolex 5517 watch kit but that was £200 and only needed a movement fitting which didn't seem that fun to do.

rusky27

Yeh I guess it’s what the build means to you, which is the important part - I’d have a look at what our td’s are offering with an Asian eta clone - you could then swap out with a 2873 and different dial, or crystal & modify how you like - at least you can build around measurements based on what you have, which would be a good starting point -  I think my base 5517 watch from silix - was around the 200 mark many moons ago. 

scottyDog

mCM2I.jpg

I couldn't find the case on silix but found one on helenarou.com  (£200) but I've read some dodgy reviews... anyway I saw this case on eBay... It would need new crystal, crown ,Fixed lugs Dial, Hands, movement and maybe a differnet case back, It's the best part shopping for new bits...

rusky27

I’d research a wee bit more and search our td’s for a 5517 there’s a good thread over on rwi about making fixes lug bars etc.

I believe helenarou has got a good name, as I understand it his 5513 case is based on his own 5513 sub but that case in the pic looks like a modern ceramic sub To me.

scottyDog

That  pf-868.com looks really nice and I will look into that, but I would have to  change the movement as I think I prefer the ETA 2824-2

scottyDog

Do you have the link to the Making Fixed Lugs thread please

NCRich

I'm confused.  Why don't you start with a JK factory 5517?  It's $100.

• Like 2

scottyDog

do you have the link please