scottyDog

Project 5517

FudgyDocker

Marvellous Replica -  email em

• Like 1

k4jun
2 hours ago, scottyDog said:

No I don't have a 5517 watch case, I'm guessing (and I know that's dangerous) that a standard 38mm Bezel will fit a 40mm case, even though the 5517 was actually 39.5mm... if not I'll have to buy different ones and try them until one fits... I did see a Rep Rolex 5517 watch kit but that was £200 and only needed a movement fitting which didn't seem that fun to do.

Get the case first - it will probably determine (stem heigh) which movements makes sense for you.

I am big fan of M9015 but afair you would need a rep dial which fits on M9015, or need to use dial dots to glue the dial (ETA and M9015 dial feets are not in the same position).

scottyDog

Thanks and after looking at Dials and Hands for M9015 your right, It's a shame it's not supported as it's a great movement for the price... So it's the ETA 2824-2 Movement I'm using which would be easier to sell if I change to 2873 or a gen 1520 (LMFAO)...

FudgyDocker
35 minutes ago, FudgyDocker said:

Marvellous Replica -  email em

Although, if you look at the movements available in them, you will either have to use the low beat 2813, or swap out for an ETA 2836 (different Dial feet locations, new hands etc). The 2824 won't fit without mods.

@NCRich is the expert on these. I  know very little.

• Like 1

scottyDog

Yeh... It looks like buying Half Assemble Watch Kit is going to be more complicated and why buy parts I wiil have to swap or don't won't... So here's me shopping list and costs (subject to me changing my mind if parts are crap)...

mTet2.png

mTWHn.png mT5EE.png

Total Cost £226 (Maybe)....  and for an eta 2824-2  that's pretty good unless I Feck this whole thing up and throw it against the wall... Time Will Tell....

I'll start as soon as parts start arriving in 2 weeks time...

Edited by scottyDog

NCRich
1 hour ago, scottyDog said:

do you have the link please

Just email [email protected] and tell them you want a 2813 5517.  $100 plus shipping and WU charge.  Heck order two so when you screw the first one up you don't have to wait for a new one.  I mean this is one I built with no parts other than what came with it.

T5L5RU0.jpg?1

d8TcwO0.jpg?1

There is a tutorial in my sig on working with these cases.  Here is the original post of this milsub.

• Like 2

rusky27

^^^best advice Right there - especially At that price as you can practice to your hearts content then when your confident go mental. By the way I’ve got a couple dg2813 reps and they have been no problem and keep time as accurate as my gen eta’s and seletta reps. 

Man I miss my 5517, here’s a pic of my milsub at HMS Dolphin in Gosport.

mTw1c.jpg

milsub plus two man sub 

i think  NCRich has inspired/corrupted me to get one again.

• Like 1

Jackflash

Would recommend the following for a decent budget build.

Low beat ETA 2846

Rubywatch insert, better proportions than phong.

Yuki handset

Athaya 702 crown and tube set

Athaya Pearl

Bezel assembly, maybe WSO, although I believe their quality has dropped

Dial, tricky to find a reasonably priced decent one today. Ruby or maybe Helenarou.

Case, perhaps Ruby again. Better value than Phong or MQ. The basic fixed-bar

Cartel 5517 hasn’t been around for a while

Here’s mine with most of the above. The dial was from Ingod44 (no longer around). The original watch was from Puretime, fixed bars with decent caseback engraving (no longer available). Plus a gen T19 service crystal. On a Phoenix MOD spec NATO. Think that’s about it...

59167ef678f60348745730a729f7ebb9.jpg

• Like 2

rusky27

Love your builds man!

Jackflash
Love your builds man!

Thanks buddy! The 5517 took a lot of trial, error and patience. Especially the insert. Phong’s is pretty good but the numerals are too small. Then Ruby surfaced with hers. The best reasonably priced rep version I‘ve seen .

1bbdecef65fd1234370d6ab0e3b3d9a7.jpg

http://www.rubyswatch.com/Products/parts/bezel-sets-bezels

You‘ll need to request the password to enter her site.

[email protected]

• Like 2

Khronos

I've had perfectly good experience with DG2813 and they're dirt cheap to replace, plus they have a correct beat rate. I've never seen anyone use a 9015 in a vintage build.. You're focus should be elsewhere. 

• Like 2

scottyDog

Thanks khronos and I will look into the DG2813 depending on its specs... like size, dial feet position and hand size...

After looking at the DG2813 because of the dial feet position and hand sizes I'm staying with the eta but I am interested in the eta 2846.... but there about £200+ on ebay.

Edited by scottyDog
  • Like 1

rusky27
3 hours ago, Jackflash said:

Thanks buddy! The 5517 took a lot of trial, error and patience. Especially the insert. Phong’s is pretty good but the numerals are too small. Then Ruby surfaced with hers. The best reasonably priced rep version I‘ve seen .

1bbdecef65fd1234370d6ab0e3b3d9a7.jpg

http://www.rubyswatch.com/Products/parts/bezel-sets-bezels

You‘ll need to request the password to enter her site.

[email protected]

I like the fact that these have 3 sec hash marks from 15 -55. Some reps get this wrong. I just noticed this has a slight serif on the 50 &30 font - I often wondered if an expertly aligned small scratch from a scalpel to mimic the serif at the ends of the number would look any good haha but that all depends how far down the rabbit hole you want to go? 
im guessing this insert fitted your puretime bezel?
Did you try it on a wso or a Clark’s assemble I wondered if the bezel assembly was all part of the blood sweat and tears part of your milsub.

• Like 1

Jackflash

Only thing remaining from the Puretime watch is the midcase (reshaped) and case back. The bezel assembly is one I picked up a few years ago off ebay. (Yeap, I did try a few). It’s gen-spec and a nice tight fit with the gen crystal. The Ruby insert is a click-fit, although I did reduce the height slightly for the recessed look.

• Like 2

scottyDog

Just waiting for password to check rubyswatch.com link and I will have to look into sourcing a case back... 

rusky27

Had a dig through my parts bin this morning - sod it I’m  building one too..... or maybe just get the 5513 done and dusted!

mk81E.jpg mkrMn.jpg mk6K2.jpg mk9Nt.jpg

• Like 2

scottyDog

Jealous... got to wait for parts... does it take long for rubyswatch to reply with password?

rusky27

No idea,  I’ve been out the game for a while and nowhere near as experienced as some that have commented on your thread. Rubys store is prob China, so there’s a time difference and a lot going on over there at the minute I’d imagine.

scottyDog

Of course...

• Like 1

scottyDog

Just been looking at this case from rubyswatch.com and they want $630 +£50 shipping.. It's looks like a good quality case... any thoughts?

msklR.jpg

msMAK.jpg mswF8.jpg

Jackflash

Certainly looks to be a good starting point. If I was building a 5517 today I would go with Ruby over Phong or MQ.

Also an interesting and rarer model number. The W10 designation would be army rather than the more common 0552 navy.

Couple more shots of mine for comparison.

0dd153371c1f15892d740cb42e6a7930.plistaccadb11c68327ee3e7655b262c5bdb5.plist

• Like 2

scottyDog

I guess I was expecting no more than £300 for a decent case... 

scottyDog

As much as I like this case it's over my budget and I'm sticking to the plan... it sucks being poor...

scottyDog

Has anyone tried to use a punch set on a watch edge and case back with any success?

mv5Np.jpg