FunnyStarSystem

How a Speedy made me Sinn. (UPDATE - IT'S HERE!)

FunnyStarSystem

Dear fellow enthusiasts, read my familiar tale, revel in my joy, share my epiphany!

In October I opened a new account at a single branch local bank, for the purpose of stashing cash I was receiving daily in hand from a weird seasonal business I invested in (chopstick baskets, who knew?) It's a combined checking/savings so I decided to see if this unexpected, ongoing windfall could yield me a grail I've been meaning to purchase forever, an Omega Speedmaster Professional. The money has been piling up quickly, so as it approached $4k US last month I got seriously ready to blow it. After visiting both snooty Omega boutiques in Manhattan to try on my options (not sure how they find these douchebags, the ladies are fine though) I finally settled on the traditional hesalite model 311.30.42.30.01.005. I've owned the rep, actually ended up destroying it by attempting to freeze the subdial at 6 and then sold it to Elvisfreak. I was honest about the damage and he thought he could fix it, that's the last time I ever got into the nitty gritty with one of my reps - you either got it or you don't, amirite? It is a beautifully designed watch. I'm a tool watch guy, pilot and racing chronos are my thing for the most part so a Speedy is kind of a no-brainer.

Only one nagging problem, these are slim, smallish watches and I have the genes of a sasquatch. The rep I didn't mind so much, but trying on these $5 and $6k models and seeing just how miniscule and lost they seemed on my wrist made me feel like perhaps I was going to be disappointed. It didn't help that I would wear my IWC Petit Prince Pilot Chronograph into the boutique and then slip on the Speedies. The IWC is only 43mm, but it seemed a full magnitude larger and more purposeful in comparison to the supposedly 42mm Speedmaster. I tried to tell myself I was being foolish, acting like a typical American, bigger isn't necessarily better and all that, but every time I tried one on I felt like I was wearing something kind of underwhelming and unsubstantial. Now, this is not Omega's fault, it is my 8.5" wrist which makes it almost impossible to find straps and renders pretty much every Rolex, Patek and Jaeger as a child's toy on my person. So not wanting to embarrass myself in front of myself for being so uncouth as to reject owning a Speedy due to size, I plowed forward as one does with this kind of loot sitting, waiting to be spent. I weighed the pros and cons of new vs used, boutique vs Jomashop vs Chrono24, or how about a crapshoot from eBay via Japan? I strayed into Mark and Broad Arrow territory and even thought about a 44mm GMT, but $7 to 9k was really not going to happen. Besides, I wanted something pure and all those other versions just seemed like too much lipstick. It was while perusing the mind bendingly endless eBay choices that I saw it - the perfect watch. At first I wasn't sure it was real, and why it was being suggested deep into a Speedy spiral, but it was very, very real and I knew then my life and course of action had changed forever - the Sinn 900 Flieger Chronograph. (cue the boy's cathedral choir)

0a548112cea0b8bed165.png

It is a 44mm wide,  15.5mm thick, just the facts ma'am tool watch extraordinaire, filled with inert gas, a humidity regulating color-changing capsule, and an iron shield around the movement - because if you wear one of these you are surely a superior being of purpose who might be attacked by cosmic rays. This watch is so damn cool they don't even mention it's a GMT. Of course it is a GMT, why do you ask? Now, I am familiar with Sinn, and given my love of tool watches it's unfathomable why I have never owned one. But I became an expert about the brand over the next couple days and decided, "thanks for the fun time Speedy, but I'm not really all that into you", and went all in on the Giant Slayer. Sinn was nice enough to rush ship me a hard cover catalog and I was hooked. Did I tell you I've named this Sinn "Giantslayer"? Well I have. So I weighed the pros and cons of new/used/AD etc. and decided this would have to be new. With the inert gas filled case (nitrogen) and AR capsule that turns blue when it is fighting humidity, there were just too many iffy factors to buying one of indeterminate age and service history. Plus the used ones were all over the map in price, sometimes more expensive than new, and not many to choose from as Sinn isn't really into volume. Some of that of course is the change in 2016 from Valjoux 7750 to Sellita SW500. But all I could find were owners online reassuring that the SW500 was every bit as good as the 7750, and of course Sinn wouldn't use it unless it was worthy. In fact, fuck ETA and Swatch now that they don't want to share, onward to slay giants with Sellita!

The single authorized dealer in the US (Watchbuys, all German brands), out of NC was zero help with my inquiries, I actually knew more about the watch than either of the guys I talked to there, and they weren't about to offer even a tiny discount, tax break or additional strap. So I recalled my summer trip to Switzerland and of this little wholesaler operation I ran into and wondered if they had a pipeline to the Sinn factory. "Why yes, yes we do! Would you like us to order you a fresh one from the manufacture? How about we get you an XL leather strap as well and would you like a Sinn hat?" Boom - payment sent and received. They said two weeks and I wrote back, "no really, you can be honest with me" , they replied,  "seriously, two weeks". So we'll see about that, but they do manage to run the trains on time over there, so anything is possible.  I have started this thread in anticipation of the unboxing, and to document my life changing epiphany and my emancipation from the bondage of the Speedmaster. The Sinn AD wanted $3,740 for the 900 on leather, and add another $490 for the steel bracelet ( a must have for me). They wouldn't swap out the straps and it only comes on leather so I had to buy both. At a grand total of $4, 230 US, it was comparable to what I was expecting to pay for a grey market new Speedy with grey market warranty. My new friend Michel in Switzerland though understood my plight, and although I am confident his business is quite legitimate, quoted me a price almost too true to believe. Yes, the watch only comes from the factory on leather, but his price was $2,753 US, he will request an XL strap from Frankfurt, and for an additional $250 US I am getting the very beautiful fine link steel bracelet. He even asked if he could arrange a fitting of the bracelet at a watch smith he knows in NY, free of charge! I told him his generosity was appreciated, but what kind of man would I be if I couldn't change my own bracelet? Not one worthy of Giantslayer, that's for damn sure. So a total of $3,003 US, no Swiss VAT, and he hinted that his US customers rarely have to pay any import tax due to some machination on his part, which I didn't delve into and why I'm not stating the name of his business on here, pm me if you need to know. That's a discount of $1,227 from the AD, or 29%. Not too shabby. And I get Sinn's 2 year warranty to boot.

So now the waiting begins. I promise to unbox my new Slayer of Giants in this thread, and eventually do a comparison to a Speedy - but first I need someone to sell me one of the good Seagull Speedie reps with frozen dial @ 6, I don't think Mary can get them anymore, well definitely not with this virus scare.

Stay Tuned!

15974506-1.1024.jpg

• Like 14

FunnyStarSystem

Here's the lovely little catalog Sinn rushed to me, with the ribbon tucked into the page of the watch I said I was interested in.

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 5

brang1

Sinn make beautiful watches, great solid and good looking

• Like 1

RussP

Great Sinn service if they mailed you a hard-cover catalogue.

Bulgari in Brisbane did the same when I was considering an Octo a couple of years ago.

Thanks for sharing your story..................

I will stay tuned.

• Like 1

FunnyStarSystem
25 minutes ago, RussP said:

Great Sinn service if they mailed you a hard-cover catalogue.

Bulgari in Brisbane did the same when I was considering an Octo a couple of years ago.

Came in two days from Frankfurt, free of charge due to an inquiry I filled out on their website. I was indeed shocked!

Dying breed these days, companies like this.

BravoDelta

Brilliant watch hunting tale! Cant wait to see it. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

ShovelnTC

This is the way it should be when spending your hard earned cash.

Expensive suited AD's that think they are doing me a favor selling me their overpriced product have never received my custom.

It's like spending cash on a hooker, I don't need to know that they care as long as they act like they do.

Hope you get your beautiful Sinn quickly.

• Like 1

Flinnt

Nice pick up at a great price. Staying tuned for unboxing. 

• Like 1

splke

Hooked, nicely written pal

• Like 1

Nikosaldente

Congratulations on your purchase!

Looking forward to seeing the unboxing of the "Giantslayer"!

• Like 1

simey83

Very nice mate! Looking forward to this one :clap:

• Like 1

Piccolo

Great read, enjoyed that..! I’ve had a couple of Sinn watches and they really are brilliant.  Looking forward to pictures and more to read when it arrives with you. :D

• Like 1

Junior88

@funnystarsystem Nice to see you back! 

Great writeup and now, just another watch I'm gonna have to figure out a way to own.  At this point a lottery win is my only hope. 

P.S. I still want, and can wear a Speedy :)

• Like 1

Jibuti

19421997.gif

• Like 1

GenTLe

German customer care applied, this is why I love working with them :)

And very very nice piece, by the way ;)

• Like 1

Theviking

Great insight into your purchase thank you for taking the time to write it up. I look forward to the results.

• Like 1

frankfrank

Great write up. Looking forward to the unboxing. Enjoy the anticipation! 

• Like 1

deju

I have a major sweat spot for Sinn!! Thanks for sharing can't wait till you share pictures on its arrival!

• Like 2

FunnyStarSystem

Quick update on my Sinn saga:

It's been over two weeks and as expected, no watch yet. I mean, I did ask the dealer if he was serious about the two weeks and that it was okay if it would take longer, but he stuck to his two weeks. So I emailed today, just wanting to make sure it was still in process and if he had any information on a possible ship date, he politely replied that Sinn still did not have one in stock and he didn't know when that would happen. He also offered to refund my money if I was unwilling to wait, which was a nice gesture, but I assured him I have patience and to kindly let me know when it ships. So I'm thinking now this might be a long wait. That's okay, having been in the rep game for almost 20 years I have developed the patience of a bronze casting of "The Thinker".

All this is standard fare, except I actually haven't paid a dime yet. I made a thread about that odd situation here: 

I'm now thinking since he offered me my money back, that he has been paid by Saferpay, and they have not yet realized their mistake. The window has definitely closed for them to snatch it from my account with my bank's approval, so I moved the $3k back into savings and am just going to wait for them to contact me. If the watch arrives and I still have the money in my account I will be shocked, but that looks like a possibility at this point. I'll be honest when contacted, but at the moment I'm not going to throw a wrench into this affair and stop the clock on my precious arriving into my hands! Surely someone, somewhere will realize a $3,000 US mistake, right? Right?!?!?

FunnyStarSystem

UPDATE - IT HAS ARRIVED!!!

So I'm glad I didn't post the dealer information because the guy is a total flake and I have no idea where that watch is. He still thinks I've paid in full (haven't paid a dime, read above) and thus continues to ignore me despite originally assuring me it would be two weeks. If he eventually ships me a watch (doubtful) I will have to think long and hard about my morals and whether to tell him about the charge screw up or not. Anyway, I became impatient and went another route......

The same day that @Del started a post about his shabby experience with Chrono24, I found my precious hiding out on that very site. For sale by a German chap named Stefan. It wasn't just the standard 900.011 either, it was the top of the line 900.013 Pilot Diapal, the Diapal denoting that along with all the other hyper technology Sinn uses, it has a lubricant-free anchor escapement by using lab created diamonds. I'll get into all that when I review it, but the main difference on the surface is a grey dial with black subdials, a look I tried not to like when I was ordering the standard model because the Diapal costs north of $5k US from any reliable source. But here was Stefan, with pics of a mint watch, rarely worn, vintage Dec '17 that still has Sinn warranty (Diapals get a 5 year warranty!) box, papers, the lot for $3400! This was almost exactly what I imagined I would need to spend for the Speedy when this whole saga started. I began corresponding with him (via Chrono24) and learned he was a collector, has many Sinns but this one proved just too large for his sissy little euro wrists (just kidding! sorta). You know when you can just tell someone is an upstanding citizen? I got that vibe from Stefan, and after a few back and forths and some research on 900.013 prices, I told him I felt his asking price was fair, and I'll take it! I put the money in escrow (this time it actually left my account immediately) and he was given the go ahead to ship.

That would've been the end of the story if Chrono24 wasn't run by a bunch of lazy idiots. Turns out Stefan had no idea how to ship anything to the States, and calling Chrono24 got him a very stern, Germanic reply of, "you're on your own, don't call here again". I called the NY office and got a similar "meh, we don't get involved with shipping between private individuals". So Stefan and I worked it out ourselves. We went the gift route, insured for $500, the maximum allowed with UPS. He asked for an email from me releasing him from liability above $500, which I'm pretty sure wouldn't have meant shit to Chrono24 if the watch didn't show up - I held all the cards in the escrow deal - but I liked the guy so I went along with it. It took less than 24 hours to arrive, shockingly, and in perfect condition with every bit and bob he said it had! I immediately went about resizing the bracelet from that of a pre-pubescent girl, and immediately snapped two screws! Turns out that little bottle sent along with the watch was Sinn branded loctite, and I'm too strong for my own good. But I resized it and used some super glue to hold the links while I order new link screws and one extra 1/2 link, because it's still a little tight for this sasquatch. Total happy ending, it's pristine and keeping nearly flawless time!

I will do an in-depth review soon, this thing has so many little tech easter eggs and details it should be fun. But for now, here is the unboxing!

ylv4I.jpg

ypHtk.jpg

ylXS8.jpg

ypKNo.jpg

yp35D.jpg

ypj0Y.jpg

yParK.jpg

yp2HJ.jpg

ypm58.jpg

ypLMW.jpg

ypegS.jpg

ypa0R.jpg

yPi7v.jpg

ypt5b.jpg

yPo31.jpg

• Like 3

BravoDelta

Great story and an impressive watch.  That shipping arrangement was a bold move! Congrats on the successful purchase!

• Like 1

Flinnt

Very nice indeed. Congrats on a beautiful new watch. 

• Like 1

Realism

@funnystarsystem you might want to blur out your watch's serial number on the warranty card... Don't want scammers getting a hold of a gen serial number....

Congrats on the new watch.

• Like 1

Chixisigma

Nice to see a man of the forest find a new treat. Congrats!

Cxs

• Like 1

goodjack

Looks great.  Congrats and thanks for sharing.

• Like 1