GulfGT40

Bulova Lunar Pilot

GulfGT40

With all the goings on in China at the moment I've been left with no alternative but to start looking at some affordable gens to scratch the itch. First world problems I know.

So after many late nights looking at a screen and my favourites bar choc'o'block I started the culling process and ended up with a Bulova Lunar pilot.

49533613842_1ace86f02d_c.jpg

A couple of things attracted me to this watch. I've always been a fan of space and space watches. I start work in the wee hours of the morning and quite often stop to watch the space station pass over or of late the string of Spacex satellites that were recently launched.

My old man also wore a Bulova for many years before handing it to me when he obtained his unicorn, a gold Datejust that he purchased on his retirement. As a kiddo I remember staring at and still can for hours, the sweeping second hand.

The Lunar Pilot is quite a behemoth compared to the old Accutron.

49533392271_fbc3bde12e_c.jpg

I've gone for the Date version, I'll be wearing it to work so  I need to know the date a few times in a day and will be buggered if I can ever remember it.

It also came with the astronaut strap and a commemorative caseback.

49533628647_71725a162c_c.jpg

49533620862_048f2e5cc2_c.jpg

And finally the happy ending all of you lume perverts have been patiently waiting for. The money shot.

49533625097_f74948b6eb_c.jpg

Lets hope things get better in China soon but in the meantime theres a couple more on the way that I'll post up when they arrive.

• Like 2

Theviking

Itch well scratched I hope. It's been on my list for a while. Nice write up.

• Like 2

BravoDelta
10 minutes ago, GulfGT40 said:

looking at some affordable gens to scratch the itch

I've done this too. Cool watch (⌐■_■) 

• Like 2

NCRich

I got it on bracelet.  Its one of the best made watches I've ever worn.  Funny thing, you can't add a bracelet to the strap model.  Cases are different.

Great watch.

• Like 2

brang1

one of their best, well done

• Like 2

GenTLe

Beautiful one, but I'd not disregard these too:

bulova_98A162_01_2000x2000.jpgbulova_98A161_01_2000x2000.jpgbulova_98A155_01_2000x2000.jpgbulova_98A156_01_2000x2000.jpg

With the curved movement:

curv.png

• Like 1

NFleischer

Very nice indeed,also have bracelet version. Great value too!

• Like 1

Jibuti
33 minutes ago, GenTLe said:

Beautiful one, but I'd not disregard these too:

bulova_98A162_01_2000x2000.jpgbulova_98A161_01_2000x2000.jpg

well... these look like bastard child between AP and Hublow....

• Like 1

Piccolo

Lovely watch, congrats and enjoy it...

• Like 1

GulfGT40

Thanks for the positive feedback guys, really liking this watch, need to pry it off my wrist in the near future as the old man wants to take it for a spin too.

Good call @GenTLe I did notice the Curv's, never say  never I do like the see through dial.

In the meantime theres a nicely patina'd Bostok on the way and a Seiko diver. There were a couple of Tissot's that were high on my list aswell and I think that's where I'll be going next.

Edited by GulfGT40

RussP

Lovely story and pictures.

Thanks for sharing your journey of its acquisition with the forum

Love da money shot :bugeyes:

• Like 1

BabaNJ

Nice catch, my only full gen is a Bulova (lobster reissue). I have been eyeing this one for a while and saw it the lowest ever other day but stopped myself since the watch box is full of box queens and dont want to keep adding to them....... Sigh someone grab it so i dont keep scrolling to the ebay page every few hours. 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F114076776686

Bulova-Devil-Diver-Review-gear-patrol-sl

Edited by BabaNJ
  • Like 2

randanlow

I have a few bulovas and they are very reliable! I think they are very underrated..

randanlow
On 14/02/2020 at 21:28, BabaNJ said:

Nice catch, my only full gen is a Bulova (lobster reissue). I have been eyeing this one for a while and saw it the lowest ever other day but stopped myself since the watch box is full of box queens and dont want to keep adding to them....... Sigh someone grab it so i dont keep scrolling to the ebay page every few hours. 

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.com%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F114076776686

The angle of this picture is much better in doing it justice. Something with the case size and the dial size look odd to me (only my opinion) in the stock photo.

Psssniper
On 14/02/2020 at 19:28, BabaNJ said:

BabaNJ you're killin me man! Really liking this and at the price it's like the Devils tempting me himself :)

Psssniper

And...... pulled the trigger

pics as soon as it gets here

FunnyStarSystem

I've had it on steel bracelet for a few years now (four I think), it is my workhorse, looks the part too with a lot of scratches and dings, but that only improves the look imho, Haven't yet needed to change the battery despite using the chrono often. It is by far my most accurate watch excepting a Citizen AT I have which syncs nightly with an atomic clock.

Amazing value for money! I just wish they made it with a domed crystal, I'm probably going to have this done at my watch smith eventually, as he has done that on two other flat crystal watches I own. 

Thanks for the review GulfGT40

• Like 1

BackInHisBox

I’ve had two now. First was on bracelet, sold it because of the mismatching finishes between the case, pushers and bracelet. Wish I hadn’t now. Now have the strap version and want the bracelet back. But I still love my strap version. Looks great on brown leather! And the lume is really nice! It’s one of three moon watches I own.

BackInHisBox

Love me some Bulova! Probably my favorite brand, followed closely by Omega!

Edited by Del
Instagram links removed.