Sign in to follow this  
Slim

Rolex GMT, real or replica?

Slim

SDC10845.jpg

Ignoring the bezel insert - the fact that it's undergone a bizarre modification is not in question - do you think this one's a replica? Someone posted this pic on a general watch forum. I think the cyclops magnification may be a giveaway, but then again it could be an artefact of the camera's lens. No suggestion was made by the poster that it might be a rep. It's apparently "on loan from a mate".

Interested to hear what you think.

PatronSaintofChainsaws

The datemag is terrible...it wouldn't be affected significantly by the lens like that.

powderfreak

Edit: No input yet :) Sorry.

Nevertheless, its plain ugly. Any I agree, the cyclops is very strange... almost no magnification and it is not centered.... that plus the insert and bracelet... fake.

houndoggie

Looks fishy to me. Not the correct bracelet, not the correct insert, not the correct cyclops.

Slim

Well the insert is definitely a user mod either way, so that's not really a clue.

Slim

So it's definitely not a genuine Jubilee bracelet, then?

Ska

Surely fake.

Easy way to tell.

Does the Lume require charging? If so it's fake because it should according to the dial print be tritium which glows constantly but would make the dial at least 13 years old and would now be VERY dim!

JohnG

link to the thread on the gen forum?

Drhulee
Surely fake.

Easy way to tell.

Does the Lume require charging? If so it's fake because it should according to the dial print be tritium which glows constantly but would make the dial at least 13 years old and would now be VERY dim!

Unless it has been given a Tritium relume by Ziggy or Vac :)

I'm not a Rolex expert, or fan, but I'd say fake. Mainly du to poor magnification and the fact that the cyclops doesn't seem to be AR coated like the gens.

Eiderdaus

REP

Slim
I'm not a Rolex expert, or fan, but I'd say fake. Mainly du to poor magnification and the fact that the cyclops doesn't seem to be AR coated like the gens.

Older gens don't have the AR coating, to be fair.

JohnG

Older gens don't have the AR coating, to be fair.

Yeah, its only the new bigger GMT's that have date mag AR.

Bunch of guys are suspcious of it now on the TZ thread.

Wonder if the guy is just testing the waters to see if anyone would recognize it as a rep... You never know when these things show up on the gen forums..........

Drhulee

Gotta hand it to the rep manufacturers though, stick a 2893 in there, and what's the point of going gen and paying an extra 10k? Unless of course you plan on doing some deep sea diving :)

mspangl

100% rep

Hillarious cyclope and magnification..

Slim
Gotta hand it to the rep manufacturers though, stick a 2893 in there, and what's the point of going gen and paying an extra 10k? Unless of course you plan on doing some deep sea diving :lol:

Well - to be fair, if you had a real one, you'd know. Although to be equally fair, I didn't pay that much for mine, although that was the '80s and they were a bit cheaper then :D

powderfreak

Check the last post on that gen forum, seems as if we will get some new members soon :lol:

pollux1

Let's hope it wasn't one of our members that linked that site to here. thats not bloody smart at all.

Ska
Surely fake.

Easy way to tell.

Unless it has been given a Tritium relume by Ziggy or Vac :)

Firstly the likelihood of it having had a tritium relume is tiny. Its almost impossible to find someone who will do that nowadays.

Secondly, the triangle marker at the top of the dial looks like the modern rep markers. The gen markers from that period had thicker, more boxy borders.

sconehead

Looks dodgy, the replacement sub inserts pearl looks 100% rep to me, cyclops and crispness of font don't seem right for a gen either...any more pics?

I can't quite make it out but the handstack might give it away for sure...

myaz

Powderfreak noted wrong cyclops on 3rd post. Took them 9. Yeah!!

Slim
Let's hope it wasn't one of our members that linked that site to here. thats not bloody smart at all.

I don't believe that person is a regular contributor here, might be a member though. Still, sites like this are easy enough to find anyway.