submarinerblue

Looks Like I'm Screwed by These Screws

submarinerblue

I just received a beautiful, accurate Omega Seamaster 300 2018 from Perfect Clones. The only problem is that I have a $400 watch that I can't wear because the bracelet cannot be sized. I succeeded in removing the tiny screws and removing links from one side of the bracelet, but all except one of the screws on the other side have proved immovable. This is complicated by the fact that the grooves in the screws or so shallow I cannot get a good grip with any of my jeweler's screwdrivers without stripping the screw head.

I presented this problem to the Forum and many member responded promptly with suggestions that all made sense. I am grateful for that. Unfortunately, none of these worked. Here is what I tried so far:

1. Penetrating Oils. Hosed the bracelet with WD-40 and let it sit overnight. No effect.

Soaked it in a tray of PB Blaster overnight (16 hours). No effect. Also tried tapping the screws to possibly help the PB soak in. Same thing.

2. Heating the bracelet to make it expand. Members had several suggestions for this. I tried dipping it a cup of close to boiling water for 30 seconds (seemed less likely to discolor the links than a direct flame method.) No effect. Not one screw will move.

Tried heating with a lighter. No effect.

It's clear that these screws were put in improperly at the factory in such a way that the threads were damaged and that there is no force on earth that will allow them to turn.

So, what now? If I send it back to Joshua and ask him to replace the bracelet or somehow replace the screws will he just tell me "tough luck, buddy"? Or, if he replaced the bracelet but nobody checked the screws would I just have the same issue?  By the way I don't like rubber or NATO straps. If this watch hadn't been available with the SS bracelet I would not have bought it.

The only other alternatives I can see are:

1. Try to drill out the screws. I don't know if I can do this without damaging the bracelet. And if I succeeded how would I reattach the remaining links once the screw threads on the links were destroyed? Cotter pins won't work.

2. Take it to a local jeweler who may not mind working on a rep (or Katt), although I don't know what special tools he has or methods he would use that I haven't already tried.

3. Sell it to a member with larger wrists?

4. Toss it in the trash, take the $400 loss and never buy another rep?

This is the most  expensive rep I ever bought and I would hate to write it off as a total loss. What do you suggest?

Rokerite

A local independent jeweller/watchmaker can only say no if you ask them, what have you got to lose? It is the movements they don't like working on as they think they can't get parts that will fit. Just ask around in your local town, explain that it is only the bracelet that you want them to work on and you may be pleasantly surprised you never know.

Jibuti

leather strap. it will look like at least 600 bux watch then. happy?

if not just toss uselles bugger....

Cigarlvr313

GingerApple

Local watchsmith 100%. A good screwdriver will get them out in a microsecond.

FudgyDocker

If you feel bad about taking a rep to a watch shop, detach the bracelet and just take that?

• Like 1

splke

whip the strap off and send it to one of the members closest to you they will sort it for you no doubt.

pop it on a bit of leather or buy a rubber strap for it while your bracelet is getting sorted

Jibuti
15 minutes ago, TheGingerFerret said:

Local watchsmith 100%. A good screwdriver will get them out in a microsecond.

postwhore

RussP

That 'screw' could possibly have been 'tapped' into place?

I've experienced that with a few reps, so I'd suggest that you take it to a watch-smith.

tribefan

I just got one of these a week ago and like you had issues getting the screws out. The quality and size of screwdriver is key. It has to fit perfectly in that slot and you have to do it under magnification. Once you screw up those slots, there's no going back.

Edit: If it were me, I would chalk one up as an expensive lesson and order a new bracelet from the TD. I'd use all my powers of persuasion to get a break on it. maybe order an inexpensive JKF or something to maximize the shipping cost. 

Edited by tribefan
watch factory not dead prez

Ahew9391

Have you tried to give the screw a little tap to knock it free ?

Just like an impact driver, put the screwdriver firmly in the screw head and give the tool a few decent taps with a small hammer.

At the end of the mate, somebody tightened them, you must be able to undo them ?

submarinerblue

I have tried tapping it, though I was afraid to tap it too hard.

what’s an inexpensive JFK?

I guess I’ll take it to my local watchmaker next. He’s changed the batteries on my quartz reps and didn’t seem to know or care they were reps.

I’d be hesitant  to pay for another bracelet from the TD since I could have the exact same problem. I assume the TD would just ship it out without checking if it could be sized.

I’m in the Chicago area if there are any members near by who think they can fix  this, please PM me.

black263
3 hours ago, FudgyDocker said:

If you feel bad about taking a rep to a watch shop, detach the bracelet and just take that?

This^^^.  Once the bracelet is removed, (and clasp if marked up) it's just another third party cheap offering that any watchsmith should be able to fix.

Flinnt

I have to agree the screwdriver is key. When my 300m diver arrived those screws just wouldn’t budge and I knew I would strip them if I kept trying. Went and got a screwdriver that fit perfectly snug in every dimension and they came out surprisingly easy. 
But a watchsmith may be easier to find than a perfect fitting screwdriver. 

thejudge

I had the same problem with the watch couldnt get the screws out, the Omega system with screws an pins is a pain in the ass.  I took it to mid-market chain jewelers who got the screws out and resized the bracelet for me for £15

Edited by thejudge

submarinerblue

Planning to do that tomorrow. Thanks. It’s just not me.

submarinerblue

Success! Took it to my neighborhood jeweler.  He had to work on it for quite awhile. Thought maybe someone had used Loctite on it ! Either didn’t know or didn’t care it was a rep. Best $15 I ever spent.

BravoDelta
10 minutes ago, submarinerblue said:

Success! Took it to my neighborhood jeweler.  He had to work on it for quite awhile. Thought maybe someone had used Loctite on it ! Either didn’t know or didn’t care it was a rep. Best $15 I ever spent.

I would have pitched it...but I'm glad you got it sorted out :D

GingerApple
19 minutes ago, submarinerblue said:

They do have thread lock/loctite on them (or at least mine did). It's all about the right fitting screwdriver though! A good watchsmith will even file his screwdriver if necessary to ensure a perfect fit. As in perfect. Not a good fit - that just fucks things up - a perfect fit.

Anyway, glad it's sorted.

• Like 1

submarinerblue

Why would they put Loctite on the screws?

GingerApple
4 minutes ago, submarinerblue said:

They have a habit of working loose and getting lost. It shouldn't be a strong bond though. They have specially designed thread locker glue that (in theory) is just tight enough to stop them loosening by themselves, but easy enough to break should you need to unscrew them.

Adit
On 23/02/2020 at 19:07, submarinerblue said:

4. Toss it in the trash, take the $400 loss and never buy another rep?

This is the most  expensive rep I ever bought and I would hate to write it off as a total loss. What do you suggest?

........ 5. Sell it to me through PMs, take a mere $350 loss and learn your lesson

4 hours ago, submarinerblue said:

Damn!  Too late!  :crybaby:

No, well done mate, glad that it's all sorted :clap:

narikaa
5 hours ago, submarinerblue said:

Maybe a naive prophylactic attempt at dissuading the other brand of bracelet whiner the "it fell off mister"

9 hours ago, submarinerblue said:

Best $15 I ever spent.

You really need to get out more

thejudge

What can you get in Thailand for $15?    Askin for a friend :coke:

GingerApple
59 minutes ago, thejudge said:

What can you get in Thailand for $15? 

Coronavirus.

• Like 1