JamesHoran76

Opening a Calatrava

JamesHoran76

Evening all. Apologies in advance for just jumping in and starting with a question, I'm not sure of the etiquette, so please delete if wrong forum etc. 

Bought a Patek Calatrava from a trusted dealer  on the RWG list and the QC photos looked good, watch looks fantastic and was well packaged, but something happened between QC and arrival at my door that caused the automatic 'swinging arm' (I'm a total watch novice) to come away from the mechanism. It's just rattling around in the case now. The dealer suggested I try and get it fixed locally and wasn't overly sympathetic to be honest.  Like I say, the packaging was really good, so I personally think the problem was in slightly shoddy construction. I understand it's a cheap(ish) replica but the watch is essentially useless now.

I'm wondering if it's an easy fix? I have a pretty basic link removal / battery replacement kit - This one - and wondering if I can open up the back and reattach the swing?  I got the officer's back off without too much trouble (getting it back on might be more tricky!) but I can't see an obvious way to pop or twist the back screen, and don't want to scratch or ruin the watch. It was around 300 dollars, with another 30 or so for delivery.

Any thoughts much appreciated. Thanks. Apologies for the lack of knowledge, incorrect descriptions etc. 

O7xYb.jpg O7b3i.jpg

Dr Fun Socks

Ill be honest ive never opened a Calatrava but im familiar with miyotas. Whats happened is if you look at where the rotor should be, theres a small gear looking part with 7 ball bearings. The gear teeth press into the back of the rotor (interference fit). Its possible it just wasn't pressed on very well, but if the bore that the teeth cut into is cut too big its a pain in the arse epoxying it back in without getting any glue in the bearings. Id start by removing the four screws next to the hinge and see what happens, if theres no obvious screws or points to key into to twist it, its probably a snap fit case back. Hope this is of some use to you. 

• Like 1

RussP

The 'swinging arm' you refer to is called a 'rotor'.

https://www.bucherer.com/uk/en/magazine/bucherer/what-is-a-watch-rotor

And, you're welcome.

I'd take it to a watchsmith to get repaired as you may damage something trying to push it back on.

Best of luck !!

• Like 1

NCRich

Just push it back on.  I've had several like that over the years that popped loose in shipping.  It just slips right back on.  Held on by friction.

I've never had one come back off in just wearing it.

• Like 1

JamesHoran76

That's for all the replies, much appreciated. 

7 hours ago, NCRich said:

Just push it back on.  I've had several like that over the years that popped loose in shipping.  It just slips right back on.  Held on by friction.

I've never had one come back off in just wearing it.

Thanks, I've manged to remove the back hinged door, I'm more wondering if I can get the glass covering to the rotor off by twisting or popping. 

NCRich
2 hours ago, JamesHoran76 said:

That's for all the replies, much appreciated. 

Thanks, I've manged to remove the back hinged door, I'm more wondering if I can get the glass covering to the rotor off by twisting or popping. 

I can't see well enough in the pic but it looks like there are indentations at 11, 1, 5, and 7 that you could use a back removal tool to screw it off.  If you don't have the tool, you might try a sticky ball or a wadded up ball of tape to twist it off.

• Like 1

JamesHoran76

Much appreciated, thanks all.

JamesHoran76

Sticky tape ball worked, thanks 

GenTLe
55 minutes ago, JamesHoran76 said:

Sticky tape ball worked, thanks 

Hey, before doing something stupid (you never know...).

Do NOT push the rotor on the movement.

Unscrew those 3 tiny tiny screws in the center (0.8mm screwdriver), take out from the movement the part kept by them and, on a flat surface covered with something like a rag to avoid scratching the rotor, put it back in the rotor.

10:10 Watch Repair

On the gen, the caseback comes off with a case knife.  

10:10 Watch Repair

n1Tfj.jpg