GulfGT40

Boctok Amphibian

GulfGT40

After reading an informative thread on soviet watches by @semperfi55 my curiosity got the better of me so I thought I'd give one a go. At around $100aud with the additional purchase of a leather nato there wasn't much to loose.

So here it is as it was listed...

49639005562_3afff14a90_c.jpg

There was plenty of arm juice to be removed so I hit it with some warm soapy water. Soviet DNA is made of sterner stuff than that though so I moved to some diluted automotive wax and grease remover. At this point there was a faint hint of red on the bezel between 9 and 12. I'm not sure if it'd been painted at some point but I gave it a go with automotive cutting compound and a cotton bud. Low and behold its  red again.

49657312537_d3c38be76a_c.jpg

The dial has some nice crackling going on.

49657320077_10e4a89816_c.jpg

And the caseback.

49657322812_db04f2043c_c.jpg 

Surprise! It still has a little lume left

49656498963_024ea573a0_c.jpg 

All in all I'm pretty happy with it. The hour hands out a little but it winds, runs all day and keeps good time. So will I be back for another? Never say never. The military themed ones aren't my cup of tea but a Sputnik watch is up my alley so when I find one I'm happy with I'll grab it.

Edited by GulfGT40
  • Like 2

BlackjackWQ

Nice! Mine says hi. Boctok translates to Vostok in English - meaning "East"

1nxTK.jpg

With relumed hands and replacement bezel however I still have the original bezel. Also been given a full service. Love these watches. 

• Like 2

BravoDelta

Bravo :Applause: cool piece (⌐■_■) 

• Like 1

semperfi55
6 hours ago, GulfGT40 said:

Soviet DNA is made of sterner stuff than that though so I moved to some diluted automotive wax and grease remover. At this point there was a faint hint of red on the bezel between 9 and 12. I'm not sure if it'd been painted at some point but I gave it a go with automotive cutting compound and a cotton bud. Low and behold its  red again.

Nice work there :lol:

Glad to see that the Revolution and the Dictatorship of the Proletariat is spreading! 

I agree, many of the military ones are not to my taste as well, quite tacky. But there are still quite a selection of novel, funky designs :) 

Nice rugged look you have going on there!

Jackflash

Great watches and fantastic value. Here’s my “007”:

842e857aa87bdea796fc7de6a1c89b5b.jpg

c8216ceaad29ab427945152c6920661f.jpg

Also easy to mod. This was originally too garish for me. So replaced the dial, hands and bezel. Thankfully parts are readily available and cheap as chips.

5152dc48c6459540ff031909ba62266e.plist

d51d5aa267b7276498a738f4a0b50d75.plist

baed3f73fbf1c2e6bb933d1c4f0ea7d2.plist

East meets West...

76a93fe88422dfd9a1c372ec37377dc7.jpg

BackInHisBox

Such great watches. Just like Russian firearms they really take a beating just never stop working. I’ve got two I’ve modified and just absolutely love. As soon as I snap some new pics to upload to the image hosting of this site I will share them. 

BackInHisBox

These things are really so very nice and so easy and cheap to mod!

Edited by Del
Instagram links removed
  • Like 1

BravoDelta

@BeyondTheBox I really like this one. Could you direct me where to get one like it?

BvTFs.jpg

• Like 1

BackInHisBox
2 hours ago, BravoDelta said:

@BeyondTheBox I really like this one. Could you direct me where to get one like it?

BvTFs.jpg

Well I modded it. The bezel, insert, strap and exhibition case back are all mods. The original I can’t  recall the numerical nomenclature of the case type and model, but I got it on Meranom. I think it was a 110 of some sort. Or 120.

Edited by BeyondTheBox

BravoDelta
14 minutes ago, BeyondTheBox said:

Well I modded it

And well done sir. That's a great look. Was a bezel that fit easy to source? And that strap :Love:

• Like 1

BackInHisBox
1 minute ago, BravoDelta said:

And well done sir. That's a great look. Was a bezel that fit easy to source?

Yup. One second closer is where I get most my mod materials for Seiko and Vostok.

• Like 1

BravoDelta
17 minutes ago, BeyondTheBox said:

Yup. One second closer is where I get most my mod materials for Seiko and Vostok.

Thanks for that 

• Like 1

cvp3

image.jpg

image.jpg

IMG-9656.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

Jackflash

debbaea6647e335baa613371f8d9d87a.plist

processengr
On 23/04/2020 at 17:41, cvp3 said:

image.jpg

image.jpg

IMG-9656.jpg

image.jpg

Awesome collection of Russian Dive watches!

• Like 1

Alan32
On 14/03/2020 at 09:28, semperfi55 said:

Nice work there :lol:

Glad to see that the Revolution and the Dictatorship of the Proletariat is spreading! 

I agree, many of the military ones are not to my taste as well, quite tacky. But there are still quite a selection of novel, funky designs :) 

Nice rugged look you have going on there!

Hi 

Whats your take  on the new Vostoks  like the new Reef GMT seems to me the Russians are upping there game!

SteveA

Easy to mod,this cost me about £55 with new bezel and mesh bracelet

s9EbQ.jpg

semperfi55
On 18/06/2020 at 19:13, Alan32 said:

Hi 

Whats your take  on the new Vostoks  like the new Reef GMT seems to me the Russians are upping there game!

Hi mate,

Do you mean this one?

Vostok_Amfibia_080480_1-1800x1800.jpg

I dunno, I still prefer their flimsy-looking vintage pieces where they had a more distinct, anti-capitalist style compared to the modern ones which risk looking more like a micro-brand crossed with Rolex/Breitling.

Otherwise, the general construction of this new one looks sturdy. The modern sporty style is not for me though :) 

FunnyStarSystem

I bought this one already modded from a Brit who sells them to the lame and lazy like me on eBay - couldn't resist the bezel! At first I thought it was really low quality and couldn't imagine trusting it to dive with, but some time on the wrist and getting used to the rack and pinion crown situation has changed my mind and I now take it into the bath with my toy submarine and Kraken.

Now I desperately need one with diver guy on the dial.

MOobD.jpg

@BravoDelta here's the modder's eBay store: https://www.ebay.com/str/Thracian-Times?_trksid=p2047675.l2563

• Like 1

BravoDelta
1 hour ago, FunnyStarSystem said:

here's the modder's eBay

Woo hoo! I like those.  Thanks,  I'll save that seller. 

• Like 1

Alan32
13 hours ago, semperfi55 said:

Hi mate,

Do you mean this one?

Vostok_Amfibia_080480_1-1800x1800.jpg

I dunno, I still prefer their flimsy-looking vintage pieces where they had a more distinct, anti-capitalist style compared to the modern ones which risk looking more like a micro-brand crossed with Rolex/Breitling.

Otherwise, the general construction of this new one looks sturdy. The modern sporty style is not for me though :) 

Yep! that's the one , got mine in black with black date wheel, build quality is surprisingly good and mine looks great on my feiko bracelet.

hope your survive the great plague OK

semperfi55
On 21/06/2020 at 09:05, Alan32 said:

got mine in black with black date wheel

That's a win over many similarly priced watches :thumbsup2:

On 21/06/2020 at 09:05, Alan32 said:

hope your survive the great plague OK

Thanks, work is slowly moving back to normal service again.  Hope it hasn't been too rough for you either!