GenTLe

Info (given) on new CHS Rolex GMTs

GenTLe

Ok, so I found an interesting post on RWI (thanks to https://forum.replica-watch.info/member/14529-dmuit which is an repair TD on there, if I got it right he is the famous "Domi", a skilled watch tech living in Germany), but it's in the Italian section, so let me put it here for you, as there is a lot of confusion recently on the various Rolex CHS GMT versions around.

I'm taking bits here and there from various RWI threads, so I'm not original poster, just trying to put together information for the benefit of the users here.

I'll try to expand the thread with what I got from the other versions too (apart the ones in that specific thread) in order to try to create some kind of guide here.

1) the SA3186 (aka VRF3186) VS the SH3186

At this time the SA3186 is mounted in the VRF and V9F rolex and apparently it's the best in class.

It has been improved since the 1st SA around, it has a better superficial finishing (especially visible in the more external area of the movement, where there is the stem release pusher respect to the SH ones), it can even take gen balance, like here:

49660871708_68e69fa0e0_o.jpg

Also, it uses the jumping hours module as the old Rolex 3185 which is much more reliable than the new 3186 which has a spring that tends to break and is used inside the SH3186. That's the thing that, when you change the timezone, allows you to change just the hour hand as visible here at 2:01: https://youtu.be/BGlyg7RIsQc?t=121

This is the pic from the SA3186 with the jumping hour sistem exposed:

49661412351_d0a6f67b56_o.jpg

This is a GEN 3185:

49660871878_8977566945_o.jpg

And this is the system implemented on GEN 3186 and also used in the SH3186:

49661693512_b9feabb6d8_o.jpg

49661412531_27989b0b8e_o.jpg

And the broken spring:

49661412546_63934838b0_o.jpg

Anyway, there are around generic (expensive!) date jumper springs: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32980974691.html

It is not that easy to recognize the SA3186 from the SH3186. By now the only 2 visual differences I managed to find are:

- the placement of the screw that fix the hairspring to the hairspring stud

- the color/material used for the balance jewel slot, grey on the SH and brass on the SA.

This is how it was on the old SA3135 V1 (used back then in the date/time rolexes, NOT A GMT movement):

49660990598_e00771c0f7_o.jpg

This  is the new SA3135 V2 and has the same aspect of the SA3186 GMT:

49660987353_0da2d00ae4_o.jpg

This instead is the SH3135 and has the same aspect of the SH3186 GMT:

49661528141_c9901143be_o.jpg

Also, the SA3186 is the one available on AliExpress for around 180$ -> https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000665762877.html

As like as the SA3135 V2 NON GMT for around 150$: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000666052287.html

Also the SH3135 NON GMT is avalable on Ali: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000665783923.html

2) the modified CHS 2836 

This is probably the more risky of all the CHS movement, it has a history of unrealiability, therefore I'd stay far clear from it. Anyway if you are brave you can always go for it...

It is pretty easy to catch it because it has the same autowind system used in the ETA 2836 and clones (this is a picture of a 2824 without the autowind rotor):

49662029487_3ded5b0fd3_o.jpg

And here the same gears on the CHS derived from the 2836:

49661750466_58ea93e659_o.jpg

49661208818_8cb6634a67_o.jpg

3) the ICHS 2836 

This is the "old style" GMT movement, which is actually the Hanghzhou 6460. It has the "Incorrect hand stack", so the order of the hands is GMT - Hour - Minute - Second. It is a good movement, even if not gen-like. Basically it is a clone of the ETA 2836 with a couple of bits modified to add the GMT function. Nothing bad with it, apart the non gen-like hands order.

hangzhou-6460-automatic-gmt-movement-dat

T2eC16VHJIYE9qUcNklRBQ5e3vGbmw60_57.jpg

So, in the end, which one to go for?

I'd personally go for SA3186 and, after that, for the Hangzhou 6460. Eventually for the SH3186 knowing if it breaks it's possible to fix it with a new date jumper spring. Never for the CHS 2836 based.

• Like 9

Glaude

Thanks for that compiled info from various post :) 

• Like 1

CollieWobbles

Good stuff :thumbsup2:

NCRich

Thanks @GenTLe always valuable stuff.

semperfi55

Great detailed info for something I’m too lazy to research, thank you so much!

@bdnica I believe you were seeking out this info

Chiquita Fanjita

@GenTLe What about the 3285 with CHS? Do you know if that is anymore reliable?

GenTLe
2 hours ago, Chiquita Fanjita said:

@GenTLe What about the 3285 with CHS? Do you know if that is anymore reliable?

Which factory uses it? 'cause there are only 2 CHS Rolex clones around, unless I'm missing something. One is the one used in ARF which is a clone of the 3186 and one is used in VRF which is a clone of 3185

The differences are these: http://blog.watchdoctor.biz/2018/02/24/rolex-3185-vs-3186/

The 3285 respect to the previous 3186 has 70h power reserve, a non-serviceable mainspring barrel and a different "aerodinamic and low mass" escapement, which is nothing we'll see in our reps, together with the silicon hairspring (yes, now I've seen blue hairspring in the new Cellini, but I don't think that has nothing to do with the silicon...) :)

Chiquita Fanjita
1 hour ago, GenTLe said:

Which factory uses it? 'cause there are only 2 CHS Rolex clones around, unless I'm missing something. One is the one used in ARF which is a clone of the 3186 and one is used in VRF which is a clone of 3185

The differences are these: http://blog.watchdoctor.biz/2018/02/24/rolex-3185-vs-3186/

The 3285 respect to the previous 3186 has 70h power reserve, a non-serviceable mainspring barrel and a different "aerodinamic and low mass" escapement, which is nothing we'll see in our reps, together with the silicon hairspring (yes, now I've seen blue hairspring in the new Cellini, but I don't think that has nothing to do with the silicon...) :)

Noob use it in their GMT CHS mate.

This is what they say about it in TD sales blurb ...

“Custom designed Asian movement to match the genuine Rolex Cal.3285 movement, Right Handstack, self-winding, independent adjustable hour hand which allows you to turn it clockwise to adjust hours and date easily”.

Really fancy the Noob Pepsi GMT, but it’s not cheap and don’t really want to spend money on a time bomb.

GingerApple

Time bomb and not a clone I think.

BadPickle
Just now, TheGingerFerret said:

Time bomb and not a clone I think.

Is that quoted straight from TD website? 

GingerApple
36 minutes ago, pickledbeetroot said:

Is that quoted straight from TD website? 

:rofl: Hey, you'd at least rate their honesty if they put that.

Sorry for the lack of PBR disclaimer btw.

BadPickle
27 minutes ago, TheGingerFerret said:

:rofl: Hey, you'd at least rate their honesty if they put that.

Sorry for the lack of PBR disclaimer btw.

:D  apology accepted! 

GenTLe
1 hour ago, Chiquita Fanjita said:

Noob use it in their GMT CHS mate.

This is what they say about it in TD sales blurb ...

“Custom designed Asian movement to match the genuine Rolex Cal.3285 movement, Right Handstack, self-winding, independent adjustable hour hand which allows you to turn it clockwise to adjust hours and date easily”.

Really fancy the Noob Pepsi GMT, but it’s not cheap and don’t really want to spend money on a time bomb.

This one? https://trustytime.shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_5&products_id=20498

LoL, that's what @TheGingerFerret wrote upper. The CHS A2836 heavily modified AKA timebomb. The autowind bridge is typical from the 2824/2836 movements, then they crapped the balance cock, making a bridge out if it and painted the ratchet wheel in red... 

Chiquita Fanjita
20 minutes ago, GenTLe said:

This one? https://trustytime.shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_5&products_id=20498

LoL, that's what @TheGingerFerret wrote upper. The CHS A2836 heavily modified AKA timebomb. The autowind bridge is typical from the 2824/2836 movements, then they crapped the balance cock, making a bridge out if it and painted the ratchet wheel in red... 

That’s the one mate. Pity it’s got a shitty movement as the rest of the watch appears to be the best Pepsi rep available.

GenTLe
40 minutes ago, Chiquita Fanjita said:

That’s the one mate. Pity it’s got a shitty movement as the rest of the watch appears to be the best Pepsi rep available.

The new Noob owners aren't great unfortunately. They charge a lot of money and don't even put decent movement in their GMTs while all the others are basically doing it, they lost with ARF for Rolex (except for their Daytona movement), with VSF for Omega and now Pam, with GMF for the Breitlings, with ZF for IWCs, Blancpain and many others... What to say... It's a sin! Luckily those others are emerging well :) If they (the others) only access the same insert used by Noobs, they'll lose also that one.