tribefan

Starry Night build - Killing covid time....

tribefan

So @NCRich posted a picture of starry night in the shoutybox and said, this would make a nice dial. I had a sterile Radiomir dial and a PVD case so I decided to kill a Saturday messing around with it. I painted a few faces on cardboard templates and worked out my approach. I had a bunch of acrylic art paints. Most of the time was hunting around for stuff to make small enough brush strokes on a 36MM dial. Brushes, screws, torx heads, toothpicks and strap tools may, or may not, have been used when it was all said and done. Picking all of the paint out of the lume slots was also a pain in the ass, but this stuff is pretty durable so it stood up to serious manhandling.

The reflection on the water technique can use some ups killing, but overall, not bad for the first time ever messing with a dial. The only real moment of panic was thinking I hosed this wonderful ST36 that has over 44 hour of wind in it when I couldn't get the balance wheel going. Turns out the paint was too thick for the second hand to spin and once I got rid of that, all was well. I used maple veneer around the movement to keep it in place and saved myself a ton of hassle with those fucking tab screws. Lug screws are still a bitch. I lined up three different straps for it, and this one set off the copper in the dial, and I was glad because it's also the most supple and comfortable PAM strap I have.

Fun little project, especially when it actually worked when I was done. 

Cheers!

99itP.jpg 99aeJ.jpg 99U0o.jpg 99mNW.jpg 99YgR.jpg 99I1Q.jpg 99qHS.jpg 99OML.jpg 991o8.jpg 999TK.jpg

• Like 10

NCRich

That is awesome.  Great job on the painting!

• Like 1

GingerApple

WOW!!!! Talented bugger :clap:

Obviously it looks like dog crap - but I feel exactly the same way towards Patek Philippe and Jaquet Droz painted dials so don't take that as a negative!

If I liked painted dials, I'd love that! Great job!

• Like 2

Intresting

@tribefan this is very impressive mate. :)    give the PP a run for their money.  Besides, yours is much, much more exclusive.  There is only 1..... 

• Like 1

BravoDelta

Nicely done @tribefan  A Van Gogh masterpiece!  :clap:

• Like 1

SCShrek

Jesus...I hate talented peeps ;) :bow:

Where do I send my money @tribefan

• Like 1

Mr_B

Looks great, too bad the second hand didn't work out 

• Like 1

Mystery Shopper

This piece is a fusion of primal desire with minimalistic order and simplicity. However, closer inspection reveals a rigorous formal approach to the placement of shapes and composition. But what I like the most, is the blue really pops.  :D

• Like 4

tribefan
28 minutes ago, Mystery Shopper said:

This piece is a fusion of primal desire with minimalistic order and simplicity. However, closer inspection reveals a rigorous formal approach to the placement of shapes and composition. But what I like the most, is the blue really pops.  :D

Moar bloo watchez!

Black-Grey-Haze

Someone had one of these... There was a sales thread on the other site where a 111 I believe had the a starry nights scene painted on it. It was cool. Looks good.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Bbsee

Now this is cool - well put together @tribefan

Psssniper

Thats nice! Looks like Starry night and the Scream mixed

GulfGT40

Now thats thinking outside of the box, nice work @tribefan  One thing I heard on the wireless the other day was that in uncertain times creativity will flourish, we can all take something from that, as you already have.

RussP

Payment Sent :D

Nikosaldente

Looks great mate!

Fun way to spend your Saturday!

BTW, you could try and "shave" off the excess paint at the seconds Hand. Looks like it's a bit on the left and on the top.

Then the hand will rotate without problem. 

Should have used movement tabs though...

Still it looks awesome!

Well done :clap:

Thang

Wow!!! very nice.

Soccer2010

Awesome 

FunnyStarSystem

Awesome job @tribefan you really nailed the colors.

Might I suggest an HR Giger next? He's Swiss, so it's highly appropriate, and inappropriate too!

tribefan

Changed the reflection on the water and lumed it:

Qes1i.jpg QeMHX.jpg Qeu4b.jpg QewEc.jpg

• Like 1

Psssniper

That's pretty awesome with the lume! I'm getting inspired:)

GulfGT40

Wow, not that it needed it but thats taken it up a notch. Well done:Applause: 

BravoDelta

That lume! :clap:

thegolfman

Really great and inspired work!  The PVD case makes this work.

Daffy

Congratulations on the build. 

I talked to the OP about this post.  Basically I said that I wanted his permission to post my own Starry Night dial.   I didn't want this post to be taken as oneupsmanship or anything of the sort.   He told me to post away, he would like to see it.  So here goes:

Yggdrasil took roughly 9 months from the time I ordered it to complete the painted dial, and she did a fantastic job.  I can't imagine trying to paint this with a brush containing a single hair.   Under a large microscope.  I had her build it in a Luminor case, but then decided it would look better in a Radiomir so I swapped it in.

Starry.jpg
Ygg1-Copy.jpg
Ygg2.jpg
Ygg3.jpg

Ygg4.jpg

• Like 1

tribefan

Holy Smokes, @Daffy that is fantastic! As if the dial isn't killer enough, the band just slays it. That is an incredible piece.

• Like 1