tribefan

PAM Build - Regina Incautus

tribefan

Coming soon.......

If anyone has insight on the origins of this latin, I would be most grateful. I'm not sure my interpretation of this is 100% sound, so rather than share it, I'd be interested in others take on this.

The original plan was to shoot this with an anodized blue and fill the letters with white or gold, but after screwing up the first coats of blue and stripping it back I liked the blue in the letters so I buffed the brass and shot it with clear. More to come.....

Cheers

nPauK.jpg

• Like 4

NCRich

Can't wait to see how this turns out.

tribefan

5ml of that vintage stuff is quite a bit when it goes shooting across the room.

tSHaJ.jpg

Simonix
On 28/03/2020 at 22:55, tribefan said:

Coming soon.......

If anyone has insight on the origins of this latin, I would be most grateful. I'm not sure my interpretation of this is 100% sound, so rather than share it, I'd be interested in others take on this.

The original plan was to shoot this with an anodized blue and fill the letters with white or gold, but after screwing up the first coats of blue and stripping it back I liked the blue in the letters so I buffed the brass and shot it with clear. More to come.....

Cheers

nPauK.jpg

My Latin isn’t the best, but the bottom bit says “integrity and freedom”

“regina” means “queen”, but don’t know the other word “incautus”. 

GenTLe
18 minutes ago, Simonix said:

My Latin isn’t the best, but the bottom bit says “integrity and freedom”

“regina” means “queen”, but don’t know the other word “incautus”. 

To me it's wrong. The suffix "us" is for male names, and Regina is obviously not a male name, that should be "incauta" in proper latin.  Incautus means "unwary", same as english word incautious.
By the way, these watches were used by italian fascists, friends of nazists. They were looking back at Roman Empire as an example (which they were following very very badly as only a fuckin' fascist can do) and this is why they were using latin mottos (but translated into italian to have more grip on the population) and often writing the U like a V (i.e. ever heard of BVLGARI? That's a U written in latin, the brand is pronounced bUlgari).

So, in the end, if you want a watch that takes back some of that kind of flavor, check at these ones:

Semper adamas - always strong like a diamond
Sufficit animus - Bravery is enough
Memento audere semper - Remember to always dare
Iterum rudit leo - The lion roars again
Donec ad metam - Until you reach the target
Fidem servabo genusque - I will keep the faith and lineage
Et ventis adversis - Also with the advert winds
Numquam deorsum - Never low (referred to the flames that always go up)

These are all from the most famous poet of the time, who also was a war pilot: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gabriele_D'Annunzio but are referred to the 1st world war, before Fascism.

The proper fascist ones, more accurate for Panerais, are these: https://it.wikiquote.org/wiki/Slogan_fascisti but personally I'd be ashamed to go around with such things on anything of me.

• Like 1

BadApple

Your Vagina is Itching? 

Why put that on a watch dial??  

tribefan

OK, well this one is politically neutral. It even has a swiss movement.

tbhnQ.jpg

• Like 1