Niemamrady

Vintage ZENITH Pilot Watch - is this real?

Niemamrady

Hi Guys,

I was looking for the right section to post it, so if I made the wrong choice please correct me (I'm still new here).

... so I need some help with identifying watch below. I found it for sale on a local website and would like to at least do some minimal research. It says it is from the 30s and is fully functional. Case size stated to be 45mm which makes me think bit to large for that time? What do you think? 

I did my google research and could not find anything similar from Zenith ? Something feel odd about this watch ...

Zenith-1.jpg
Zenith-2.jpg
zenith-3.jpg

Nikosaldente

45mm case size sounds really odd for that time .....

What's the price if you don't mind me asking?

GingerApple

Movement looks Gen to me.

*PBR Disclaimer - I know next to nothing.

FunnyStarSystem

Looks like a marriage watch, dial and movement salvaged from other watches and put in a contemporary case. Zenith didn't do that case in the 30's for sure.

Niemamrady
7 minutes ago, funnystarsystem said:

Looks like a marriage watch, dial and movement salvaged from other watches and put in a contemporary case. Zenith didn't do that case in the 30's for sure.

That is what i'm thinking. I know that pictures are bad quality but if you look at the shape of this case and materials it does to fit the time they claim it is from. Thanks.

16 minutes ago, Nikosaldente said:

45mm case size sounds really odd for that time .....

What's the price if you don't mind me asking?

They are asking 500 EUR which considering what the others wrote is way to much! 

FunnyStarSystem

Here's a similar movement in an era correct case:

nvkbjcz-jpg.406541

GingerApple

I'd steer well clear, even at half that price.

Niemamrady
Just now, TheGingerFerret said:

I'd steer well clear, even at half that price.

I will take your advice :)

THANKS GUYS !!:chewbacca:

FunnyStarSystem

Marriage watches can be a lot of fun, but not if the seller isn't willing to be upfront about it. There's a decent volume of these coming out of Eastern Europe, Ukraine in particular, eBay is practically flooded with them. Go have a look there if you're in the market, at least you can bid on some.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/123710590637

• Like 1

BadApple

I have a modern Zenith on the way and even now they have welded lugs and not cast in case. 

Original watches were made from pocket watches with lugs welded on them and they carried that forward (as per movement sample photo from @funnystarsystem )

• Like 1

Realism

Those were pocket watches movement with made up dials (30s, there is only tritium, not luminova), and cases... Often from Eastern Europe...

They range in brands (some has PP's pocket watch movement) etc...

Value wise... Probably add the parts up+ labor

tonyh7

eBay is awash with ‘vintage’ watches - a lot probably coming from India. I even bought one when drunk. Case and plexi were brand new. Movement was gen. Dial probably fake, condition too good. I’d say this is a similar lash up. The one I bought was from an English seller. When I wore it it steamed up - had to grease and reseal it. Avoid or at best don’t spend too much.