Sign in to follow this  
trailboss99

WotanCraft Pre-V Buckle Review

trailboss99

I recently ordered a WotanCraft buckle and thought I'd do a bit of a mini review.

Nice and easy to order, the website is a pleasure to work with and communication is very good. Shipping speed is average and the buckle came well packed in a nice slip case box complete with a driver for the screwbar and a WotanCraft plaque.

WontanCraftBuckle%20001.jpg

A fair bit of overkill for a simple SS buckle yes? I gather this is considered as part of the WotanCraft "buying experience".

The buckle itself is OK I guess, very well polished with the XMas emblem laser etched onto it but I would have preferred something a bit thicker. The tang in particular is rather light weight as can be seen in the first pic.

WontanCraftBuckle%20008.jpg

WontanCraftBuckle%20009.jpg

That's a Sawdust & Ink Hellspawn CF pen propping it up for those of you unfamiliar with the work of RWG member Graman.

Is this buckle worth the normal US$49 price tag? No, it's not. Is it worth the current $30 price? I'm still not sure. I'd like a bit less salad (box, driver ect) and a bit more heft in the buckle myself but if you go for a light weight Pre-V than yes I suppose it is. You can see for yourself here: http://www.wotancraft.com/home.htm

Certainly the guy makes beautiful Sterling Silver buckles that are worth the asking price all day long as well as lovely straps and the best bespoke camera bags money can buy (I have one, they are da bomb) but I'm still not convinced about this particular item's value.

greg_r

Interesting review, Col. I'd wondered quite why these buckles were so expensive and, frankly, I'm still wondering...

AustinTech
Interesting review, Col. I'd wondered quite why these buckles were so expensive and, frankly, I'm still wondering...

I wonder the same thing about Panerai in general. :)

greg_r

You're only jealous 'cos your wife wouldn't let you keep yours... :)

dingle
:)

trailboss99

Ya, me too. I was expecting something rather heavy TBH. Very unsure of his definition of "handmade" as well.

Yes, a hand did thread the tang onto the screwbar and a hand may have even held it while polishing but I suspect that may be it.

wat44

thanks Col

so far, there has been NO interest in my question about a local silver jeweller in making buckles - maybe everyones just happy with cheap ebay buckles???