Redtooth

GMT GMF BLNR Batgirl 2836 ICHS on Order

Redtooth

Hi All

Really excited to be getting my first REP watch delivered soon from Trusty Time.  I have received the QC pics and know enough to not to post them on here!

I will post a review when I get it with real pics, instead.

In the meantime, please be kind to this Newbie, I went for the safe option with this watch and not the time bomb movement.

But I still have a couple of questions and would really appreciate some help (I have tried to search for these but can't seem to find the correct thread).

1) Do you recommend I get the watch serviced straight away?

2) I assume I will need to get it resized to fit me, but unsure (and don't trust myself to do this). Do you know of and/or recommended watch smiths in near London (UK)  that can adjust my strap and give a service when I receive it - don't want to give a REP to someone that gives me grief... also don't want them to scratch it while the resize it.

2) Is it worthwhile to ask if they can check the water proofing at the same time? 

FoxWilde

Hey mate!
You’re pretty safe with the 2836 ICHS, it doesn’t have that weird time bomb module.
I always encourage getting it serviced. Those movements vary in condition, but usually never pristine.
It’s very easy to resize the bracelet, if you have the correct screwdriver for it. That’s the most important part. They sell them online. I’d encourage you to try to resize it yourself to save you some money.
As for waterproofing, that’s for an experienced watch smith. I’m not sure you can help over in the UK, wish I could help you more.
Cheers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

paccbet

1) Not necessarily 

2) You can buy a set of screwdrivers on Amazon or the like, tutorials aplenty on YouTube and will only take you 5 minutes 

3) Your watch is probably fine if you’re gonna wash your hands etc but not deep diving, but no harm in asking them if you decided to send your watch in anyway..

Redtooth

Thanks, I will try and find the right screwdriver and watch the videos while I anticipate delivery of my watch.. just need to be ultra careful not to scratch the jubilee.

Is there a correct way of adjusting the data/time, I read that on the CHS you have to be ultra careful... but what is the process to adjust for the 2836? 

FoxWilde

Pulling the crown out on a 2836:
-1 winding
-2 setting date and GMT hand.
-3 setting time

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Redtooth

Thanks!.. and it is safe to go backwards and forwards with this movment while setting the time?

fatarms

Never set the date with the hour hand between 9 and 3.  Always set it to around 6.  The reason is that the date change mechanism can be engaged with the date wheel and if you manually change it while those gears are engaged,  you can break the date mechanism. 

This goes for any mechanical manual wind or automatic watch you own or will own in the future. 

• Like 1

stfrance

Recommend using masking tapes when you resize bracelet in order to avoid scratches.. 

Cheers mate for your new experience..:morebeer:

• Like 1

FoxWilde
1 hour ago, Redtooth said:

Thanks!.. and it is safe to go backwards and forwards with this movment while setting the time?

Fairly so. It won’t get bugged up like a DG2813. 
now setting the date and GMT is another story, different part of the movement is moving. Never change that between 9pm-6am is my advice. Change the time to otherwise if you have to. 

GenTLe
9 hours ago, Redtooth said:

Never go backwards if you are anywhere near 12 with the hour hand, because of the same issue explained by @fatarms about the date changing mechanism.

Rokerite
15 hours ago, fatarms said:

Never set the date with the hour hand between 9 and 3.  Always set it to around 6.  The reason is that the date change mechanism can be engaged with the date wheel and if you manually change it while those gears are engaged,  you can break the date mechanism. 

This goes for any mechanical manual wind or automatic watch you own or will own in the future. 

Our own resident horological master Rolie advised me to do this for exactly the reasons you mention . Do it second nature now.

sharkman07

As mentioned it is good practice to service any movement, even new ones, but wear it for a week, it's a bit hit and miss, some run super accurate with great power reserve straight out of the box.

Generally I always think it's time for a service when power reserve starts slowing down.

Most new watches are fine from TD for light water but if you intend swimming I would get it properly waterproofed.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Redtooth

Thanks everyone, great advice.... now just need to figure out what to do while I await delivery :)... so tempted to order something else.. but think I will wait.

• Like 1

sharkman07

It's a slippery slope.. once you start you never finish buying!

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Redtooth

Cf7uS.jpg

It’s finally arrived!! Didn’t take as long as I thought it would... first time uploading a photo... will try and do a full review once I have set the time etc :)

TDFBluWaffle

Looks great. Enjoy wearing it! 

Redtooth

It’s really strange as always wore my Apple Watch on my right hand (don’t hate I use it for contactless payments and to get fit)! 

but the rep feels more comfortable on my left... ... also use to always be a lefty before the Apple Watch so is there a right and wrong?

Redtooth

First impressions the watch looks very shiny but the jubilee bracelet is actually very lightweight and I thought it would feel more substantial now I wish I went for the Oyster bracelet instead of the Jubilee but Hayho ...do ther people find the Julbillee to be very lightweight As well?

GenTLe
1 hour ago, Redtooth said:

First impressions the watch looks very shiny but the jubilee bracelet is actually very lightweight and I thought it would feel more substantial now I wish I went for the Oyster bracelet instead of the Jubilee but Hayho ...do ther people find the Julbillee to be very lightweight As well?

While it can be a problem to find a good jubilee aftermarket, definitively it's not to find an oyster one, so... 

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000150945812.html

MrHEPennypacker

How does the bezel insert look to you? Any noticeable speed bumps? I’ve been considering the Pepsi version, but the insert looks like garbage and I don’t want to mess with a timebomb movement on one of the others.