Sign in to follow this  
kolchak

unrelated question about 3 briets- SOSF, SOH, Seawolf

kolchak

Have a few questions so thought I'd bunch them together for ease of use.

After not wearing my recently bought (used) SOH V2 for a week, I discovered an issue after setting the time. Tried pushing & then screwing the crown back in, but instead of getting tight the crown just seemed to spin the movement. Hard to describe but it felt rough & wrong. Watch & chrono's still function. I followed sellers sage advice:

"Automatic -A7750 series chronograph movements:

Wind at least 35 turns, slowly and gently. As with the automatic model, keep hand winding to a minimum so as to not risk damage to the movement. Pull out the crown and turn the hands CW until the date changes; then set the time, and then set the day/date.

CAUTION never set the day or date between 7 PM and 3 AM, doing so will damage the watch. The day/date change is gradual on this model, and can be observed to start moving in the window anywhere from 9:30 pm until 2:00 am, this is normal. On the 7750, keep time setting to a minimum, the cannon gear is prone to wear and slippage and replacement requires complete movement disassembly. The more you change the time – the more you

wear out the cannon gear"

Is this a cannon gear issue?

IMAG0829.jpg

#2 How do I reattach the bracelet on a 21j SOSF?

IMAG0932.jpg

IMAG0931.jpg

#3 where would a guy find a good rep blue rubber brietling deployment strap with the 3 holes on each side (feel like a tool for not knowing proper name of these straps) for my recently aquired seawolf?

IMAG0909.jpg

TY!

Del

Hi kolchak,

First one, I'm not an expert in watch faults but it sounds like the crown threads could be stripped, hence it just turns and turns and doesn't get tight.

Second one, you only need to compress the springbars and the bracelet end link should slide back into place between the lugs. It can be a bit fiddley and sometimes the springbars are slightly bent which doesn't exactly help the situation but there is nothing more to it.

Third one, that strap is called an Ocean Racer strap (I have one on my SOHv2) and I got mine from Mary along with a watch order to save postage. They are not cheap though - might cost you $60-$70.

Hope this helps. :)

houndoggie

the seawolf has a 22mm strap width, do they have a blue rep ocean racer strap in 22mm?? The OR strap for the SOH is 24mm.

You can get a cheap blue OR style strap on ebay for about $20 or so, but it'll be with a buckle and not nearly as good as the rep rubber strap on the watch all ready.

another alternative is a blue shark skin (or faux shark) strap for the seawolf. You can get this in a breitling "style" easily enough.

Del
the seawolf has a 22mm strap width, do they have a blue rep ocean racer strap in 22mm?? The OR strap for the SOH is 24mm.

Good point HD, I'm not sure if you can get the OR strap in 22mm, although I seem to recall seeing a Skyland on a black one somewhere.

Worth an email to Mary in any case.

kolchak

Thanks for answering my stupid questions guys. I've been too busy/lazy to do a proper search for the name...."ocean racer"....just saying it feels better already.

I Usually don't like rubber but the original rubber rep strap is excellent & most comfortable I've had. A 22mm deploy O.R. of same quality would be sweet but a breit style blue shark might be a better idea. I always had trouble matching socks & trousers so the whole watch/strap combo is tricky.

Del - I thought crown would eventually strip since seller included an extra gen. If crown just spun I'd think it was stripped but turning it now feels like the movement is grinding. Luckily I found a rep friendly watch smith & will have it serviced.

Lastly, I understand about pushing the pins in, but can't get the end link to align properly & slide in on both sides.Guess it will take more practice.

Thanks again

MikeMcNair

where did you get yer seawolf in blue???????????

houndoggie
where did you get yer seawolf in blue???????????

me. And I, from Mary.

greg_r

Yes, there is a rep 22mm OR around. Available in all three standard colours (blue, black, brown). Expensive, though.

kolchak
Yes, there is a rep 22mm OR around. Available in all three standard colours (blue, black, brown). Expensive, though.

Greg - do you know ballpark cost & if it's carried by certain TD's? I checked around back in May with no luck. I'd still "like" an OR but the quality of the regular rep rubber strap is so damn good I got no problem living with it.

Since this thread was resurrected, a couple updates -

SOSF

The bracelett can only be reattached putting the end links straight between the lugs, with pins compressed on both sides. It won't align when putting a pin in one side first & trying to wiggle the other side in place. (if that makes sense).

SOH V2

According to my watchsmith the 7750 chrono mvmnt is fine & "supposed" to feel rough when screwing crown back in. Two months later it's running well but seems crown is stripped because it usually won't tighten down.

Luckily original owner included an extra gen crown (but no tube) for the low sales price of $230.

greg_r

OR: The 24mm one is about $90ish if I recall, I think the 22mm is marginally cheaper than that, but not by much. Best talk to Mary on that one.

SOSF: Yes, a lot of bracelets are like that - can be damned fiddly to get back together. A decent springbar tool makes things a little easier, but it can still take an awful lot of effort (and swearing) to get 'em back in there. Ideally you need the watch case held steady, you edge the bracelet into the gap and then compress the springbar while you push the bracelet the rest of the way in. Then you swear a lot when you can't get the springbar to find the locating holes, the bracelet slips out the other side and you wash, rinse repeat ad nauseam until it finally drops into place at precisely the moment that you decide to give up and fit a leather strap instead :P

You'll find things a lot easier if you take a link out of the bracelet (or dismantle at the clasp if possible) so you're working with a separated end of the bracelet rather than the whole thing. Makes the difference between 'impossible' and just 'bloody difficult' :)

SOHv2: 7750's do indeed feel a bit rough at times. That rep is well known for stripped crowns/tubes though. As always, the safest way is to wind the crown in reverse until you feel the threads 'catch'. Greatly reduces the chances of stripping the crown.

kolchak
OR: The 24mm one is about $90ish if I recall, I think the 22mm is marginally cheaper than that, but not by much. Best talk to Mary on that one.

SOSF: Yes, a lot of bracelets are like that - can be damned fiddly to get back together. A decent springbar tool makes things a little easier, but it can still take an awful lot of effort (and swearing) to get 'em back in there. Ideally you need the watch case held steady, you edge the bracelet into the gap and then compress the springbar while you push the bracelet the rest of the way in. Then you swear a lot when you can't get the springbar to find the locating holes, the bracelet slips out the other side and you wash, rinse repeat ad nauseam until it finally drops into place at precisely the moment that you decide to give up and fit a leather strap instead :P

You'll find things a lot easier if you take a link out of the bracelet (or dismantle at the clasp if possible) so you're working with a separated end of the bracelet rather than the whole thing. Makes the difference between 'impossible' and just 'bloody difficult' :)

SOHv2: 7750's do indeed feel a bit rough at times. That rep is well known for stripped crowns/tubes though. As always, the safest way is to wind the crown in reverse until you feel the threads 'catch'. Greatly reduces the chances of stripping the crown.

Thanks for all the info. I ended up putting the SOSF case in a vice & used a spring bar tool on each side to compress pins. Only took about 30 tries that way!

greg_r
Thanks for all the info. I ended up putting the SOSF case in a vice & used a spring bar tool on each side to compress pins. Only took about 30 tries that way!

only 30 tries? Not bad - you're getting good at this :)