Evan_k

Buying a watch box

Evan_k

So, as I begin to dive into watch collecting, it's time for a bigger watch box that holds more watches. I know someone told me to contact fat panda (Tim) but I haven't found their profile on rwg, So far I've been looking on etsy and have seen some really nice watch boxes. Still unsure if I want a handmade one or just a nice generic one for now. I'd like to hear some thoughts on pillow and slot size because obviously depending on the height of dividers quality and material of cushions etc it can do a half ass job of presenting and holding watches apart or a good job of it. Does the material of the box and the treatment or non treatment of the box get affected by humidity and affect the pieces? (if it's wood or not). I live in a very humid state.

tribefan

Welcome to the 50 post club. :)

For me these are tough to buy online unless your buying something you've seen IRL. The best one I found was total fluke on eBay, Weiden, it was such a good price I had to get it. Turns out it is a genuine burl maple, cushions are cream velvet, 50+MM and are snug. I've got a something bay one that is grey suede, really nice looking but the pillows swim inside the slots so you have to do a lot of fiddling around to get the watches to sit right. I have a Wolf off of Drop that looks really nice, the pillows are thin but they fit the contour of the slots better. I find the pillows are a great match for my 7" plus a smidge wrist. If you have 8 inch wrists these boxes suck., although I have no problem fitting monster PAM's together in a row in any of them.

Evan_k

Thanks, can’t believe I’m at 50 posts, time flies when your looking at watches. I Know what you’re talking about, seen some with the thin pillows. Wasn’t sure what that was about. My wrist is just under 7 inches. I recently bought some watches that are 50mm don’t know if I’ll like them since they are that large but I’ll find out if those are something I like. Will have to wait and see so I know if I want a box with the slots big enough to hold something that big. If it’s snug that might bother me though

Edited by Evan_k

BravoDelta

I have cheap boxes but its probably the same with more expensive ones...the watches can bump each other. I separate my good/bigger ones every other slot.