Sign in to follow this  
Ska

Ska's Custom Watch Project Update: 1st Dial Prototype

greg_r

Not sold on the bracelet either tbh. Don't think it has quite the look of sheer quality your watch deserves...

A really nice quality leather (+ maybe NATO :lol: option) would probably make more sense than a slightly iffy bracelet. However, it's a different matter if the right bracelet can be found ;)

Ska

Yup In fact I said a couple of pages ago that the plan is for the watch to come with both a bracelet and ZuluDiver NATO strap in the box. Great minds think alike it seems. :lol:

The likelihood is that I will also offer the option of a decent pilot leather strap instead of a bracelet for those who want something different. Just to cater to as many tastes as possible.

Really appreciate all the interest and ideas. Glad people seem to be as excited about this project as I am.

Things are coming on well now, got lots on the go.

The Watch has been renamed slightly. 'Wingman' is now 'Wing Commander'. There will also be 'Navigator' and 'Loadmaster' models in the future with the subcategories 'Ghost', 'Wraith', 'Phantom' and 'Banshee' denoting case material and finish.

'Ghost' for example is the case configuration you've seen already with a DLC ceramic case and Ruthenium Plated SS caseback.

Thanks to everyone for their suggestions and comments regarding the dial, hands and case. These have been finalised now and I am making the engineering drawings ready to begin the engineering phase.

greg_r

Hmm - must confess I preferred the 'Wingman" name.

Wing Commander has too many overtones of naff videogame spinoffs... :lol:

wingcommander.jpg

;)

Good to see the watch project coming along so well, though. Good luck in the bracelet hunt!

Amit

Spitfire!

graman

I like wingman too....presuming that the watch is playing wingman to you, the wearer......

Also balances well on the dial...not sure there would be much of the dial left after wing commander had been etched over saffron burrows... :bcake:

Ska

Wing Commander has too many overtones of naff videogame spinoffs... :)

wingcommander.jpg

;)

Good to see the watch project coming along so well, though. Good luck in the bracelet hunt!

:bcake:

Or it could just be a royal air force rank. ;).

But I wouldn't want to cast aspersions on your taste in movies. :P afterall Freddie Prinze Jr is of course widely regarded as the next al Pacino.

graman

Wing Commander has too many overtones of naff videogame spinoffs... :P

wingcommander.jpg

;)

:bcake:

But I wouldn't want to cast aspersions on your taste in movies. ;) afterall Freddie Prinze Jr is of course widely regarded as the next al Pacino.

Of course he is!

Just ask him! :)

pback

Ok...I'll be the noob that thinks he's cool enough to post on this thread :D

Great watch. Classic case with some very contemporary dial features. And that box is fantastic.

I want one.

sjb

Thats really nice Ska,you are a talented guy.

trailboss99
I like wingman too....presuming that the watch is playing wingman to you, the wearer......

Also balances well on the dial...not sure there would be much of the dial left after wing commander had been etched over saffron burrows... :)

A big +1 on that. Sorry Ska, Wing Commander sucks.

Col.

greg_r
:)

But I wouldn't want to cast aspersions on your taste in movies. :P afterall Freddie Prinze Jr is of course widely regarded as the next al Pacino.

I did say NAFF videogame spinoff movies. Pay attention! :D

seclark007
The Watch has been renamed slightly. 'Wingman' is now 'Wing Commander'. There will also be 'Navigator' and 'Loadmaster' models in the future with the subcategories 'Ghost', 'Wraith', 'Phantom' and 'Banshee' denoting case material and finish.

For continuity sake think of this: Navigator and Loadmaster are both positions on-board an aircraft, whereas Wingman and Wing Commander are positions within a flight of aircraft. So Ghost, Wraith, Phantom and Banshee are all related as "apparitions"

Might I suggest that you simply use "Commander" instead of wing commander, then your model names relate to one-another just like your finishes relate to one another. As in Pilot in Command............

Oh, and consider "Jumpmaster" as an "army themed" model. It would have to be harder than the other models, and able to withstand all kinds of shit! :)

pback
Oh, and consider "Jumpmaster" as an "army themed" model. It would have to be harder than the other models, and able to withstand all kinds of shit! :)

haha...

+1

Greenhat

Sabre, after your company would be a better name for this Watch ..............Tally Ho Wilko and Out squadron leader wing commander

imagesqtbnand9gcqeolfxr.jpg

sm1rf

I'm loving watching this project unfold. For me DLC rocks, the red second hand adds a twist to a subtle colour scheme, I'd have red second hands on all my watches if I could!

"Wing Commander" not so good, much prefer "wingman" or the suggested "commander".

Ive recently grown really fond of NATO straps and as such would love it if this watch came with a fixed bar option, but then I'd have to buy two of these bad boys. Put me down for one!

Ska

Wing Commander out, Wingman Back in.

(Oh and FYI - Wing Commander is actually a Royal Air Force Rank, not a position within a flight of aircraft!)

Finally chose which DLC coating I'm going for, I'm using the company which coats all of Bremont's watches. Its gonna be epic.

Visited there today, fucking place was full of gen rolexes and breitlings hanging up pre/post coating. Very cool.

Also I'm going to be offering a Titanium Nitride coating option for the case-backs. This is a coating much harder than titanium but with a beautiful almost indestructible yellow gold colour, usually used on wheel bearings for the Airbus A380.

gB.
:popcorn:

wat44

excellent!

(im not sold on the name, but then, Im weird)

WatchMe007
Wing Commander out, Wingman Back in.

YES!

I just read through this amazing thread and I am salivating. I was disappointed by the name change. Then elated!

Here is the key for THIS Yank...when you say Wingman like you are saying "Wing Man" (American English) it isn't cool, but "Wingmin"...that is freaking COOL.

Oh, that's my Wingmin Ghost. It is a British Watch. :damn_the_colonials:

Anglophile's like myself rejoice!

(Oh Sweet Mother of God it better not be priced like a damned Morgan.)

BTW, I spent a "summer" at King's College back in 1989. I am not some sort of elitest. Just had the opportunity to do some post-grad Economics study. Damned communists most of them were, but it was a great experience.

England has had special place in my heart since then.

Ska

Yes exactly - pronounced as we brits would say it. Almost as if there was no 'a' "Wingmun" as in "Postman" or "Coleman's Mustard"

Just out of interest I'd like to gauge people's opinions on this.

I have the option of a much "blacker" DLC coat (which is in itself actually ceramic) however it can only be applied to metal, not ceramic because the part to be coated has to be electrically charged rather than ionically.

I LOVE the coating however and its even more durable.

Are people more interested in the Ceramic Case or the DLC?

Cost-wise they're about identical as the higher price of the blacker coating roughly matches the saving you get from using 316L instead of Ceramic.

Opinions Ladies??

gB.

:popcorn:

Which one would be more durable? I would go with the more durable option if cost is the same.

Ska

By the way , I'm trying my hardest to keep the price as low as humanly possible, without compromising on quality at any stage.

The DLC coating for my prototypes alone will cost me well over $2000 which is almost more than the total cost of machining the prototype cases (obviously the production watches will cost considerably less, especially if I can get orders for around 50)

I'd be interested to know who would actually be up for buying one, and what their price limits are. Bear in mind there's no fucking way I can come anywhere near rep prices, and a gen Omega, IWC or Bremont will set you back between $3000 and $6000.

Basically what I'm saying is that this "custom project" has turned into something very exciting, but as a result I'm chucking serious cheddar at it and I'd like to find out if its going to be worthwhile.

I'll be asking the same questions on the other rep fora, and gen fora as well. (Although I won't be posting the project on WatchuSeek or WC until the case is machined)

anyway, let me know guys.

nunu78

Im up for something b/w 600 to 800 US dollars

wat44

IMHO the question to ask is WHY?

here's wat Bremont say:

Bremont is a British brand designing and producing hand-made watches at its atelier in Switzerland. Only limited numbers are manufactured each year. Every watch leaving the Bremont workshop is a certified chronometer, with every movement reworked, modified, heavily tested and finished to aviation standards.

All Bremont watches are made from the specially hardened steel taking the case up to 2000 vickers in hardness. The cases are treated and finished using proprietary systems in the UK and Switzerland. The aviation watches are designed and conceived by pilots for pilots, and - of course - tested by pilots.

All watches adhere to Bremont’s core values of precision, durability and individuality. Above, in keeping with the Bremont ethos, Bremont wristwatches provide peerless levels of legibility.

Every Bremont watch in each range is tested in the field before release - not merely in the workshop.

so you need to know why you exist. if you are going down the pilot path, have you got some pilots to wear it? does someone on the forum know one? wat is unique about your watch(es)?

did I mention the propeller on the bremont?

(FWIW, I associate the chain bracelet with diving)

Ska

Not trying to go for the same thing as Bremont, they have their niche.

But this watch will be comparable (or better) in terms of material, build and finish quality.

Unfortunately Nunu, $800 is just not gonna happen mate.

:D