Sign in to follow this  
Ska

Ska's Custom Watch Project Update: 1st Dial Prototype

wat44

never thought you were, Ska - Im just saying - have a reason to be

Ska

Well yeah, my idea was to make a watch tough enough for the British Armed forces, which would also have all the beauty and aesthetic qualities that would make it qualify as a luxury brand piece.

SevenSevenFifty

Why don't you do a "budget" run after your first 'custom' run. Make the dials out of anodized aluminum/cheaper, thinner metals (like a rep PAM dial?). Make the case out of 316L steel with a polished/brush finish instead of a DLC coating and use an already made rep strap/bracelet. Lose the custom box and use a cardboard box instead. Buy a shitload of rep BR hands and don't use the highest quality lume out there. I wouldn't mind if you leave out most of caseback engraving (i'm assuming that this process also costs a lot), or leaving out other small details.

I would still gladly pay $500+ for the "downgraded" version.

trailboss99

I'd be thinking $1000 to $1500ish for this, maybe a bit more. 2k or so is about my limit ATM, just need to start saving.

There goes my Moonie :D

Col

Ska

Cheers col.

The $1500 mark is looking about right at the moment. (which ain't bad at all if you think that's how much SS paid for his ultimate Santos Rep)

Sadly I don't think a budget range is going to be possible. When factored in at volume the ceramic/DLC/laser engraving wouldn't really affect the price by more than 10-15 percent. I'd have to compromise on fit, finish etc which would instantly devalue the brand before I'd really started.

I don't want to exclude people from this but obviously at these quantities I can't make things as competitively as the big guys. On the other hand I don't have to flush 20% of the sale price into advertising.

I'm almost there with the prices, just hands, box and final movement price to finalise.

Thanks to everyone for their cmoments, keep em coming as quite a few have had a real influence on this.

themoo-12

This is probably the best thing I have seen on this forum! I would happily pay a pretty penny for one of these. The amount of work that goes into each one of these appears to be near a Rolex standard. What movement are you going to be running in these timepieces?

wat44

I have an idea for those on the forum who cant afford it, but still want to see it/try it/etc

a "pool watch" - a lead buyer buys the watch and pays full price

a pool of say 10 people go in after the lead

#0 or lead keeps for 1 month

#1 on the list buys it for $1400

#2 on the list buys it for $1300

etc - so each buyer effectively rents it for $100 plus shipping

#10 on the list buys it for $500

#0 gets the watch back (pays $400 to #10)

so the lead buyer keeps the watch (net outlay $1500-$1400+$400 = $500)

you can play with the details

KeNnY

Oh that would be to expensive for me :D if I compare it to my wage, I have monthly wage around 705 USD, and if I cut all expenses , for me for 1 month I will around 200-300 USD to buy cloths/food/travel/watches.

But maybe one day, when I will have enough money to buy one, I surely will !!

But I will be very happy to see the finished product, and happy faces on many members here ! :Thinking:

Ska
This is probably the best thing I have seen on this forum! I would happily pay a pretty penny for one of these. The amount of work that goes into each one of these appears to be near a Rolex standard. What movement are you going to be running in these timepieces?

If all goes to plan (I'm waiting for confirmation) then it will be my own calibre based on a Sellita SW300.

solkryssare
I have monthly wage around 705 USD, and if I cut all expenses , for me for 1 month I will around 200-300 USD to buy cloths/food/travel/watches.

Damn mate! Drinks are on me if you come to London :D Tell you what. Flight is on me as well.......

Amit

I think whatever price this ends up being will be fair.

The amount of time, effort and thought that has been put in has been immense and i'm sure will

be well worth it in the end.

Aside from thinking the watch should be on a nato/canvas strap i think the design and style is spot on.

My personal preferance would be to not have a DW. just to give it that cleaner look.

KeNnY
I have monthly wage around 705 USD, and if I cut all expenses , for me for 1 month I will around 200-300 USD to buy cloths/food/travel/watches.

Damn mate! Drinks are on me if you come to London :D Tell you what. Flight is on me as well.......

Thanks Mate that is generous from you !

Cheaper would be that you will take plane here to Poprad, and just bring 40 pounds.. you will be totalled with alcohol here for that money :clap:

Ska

Holy shit mate, Id better give Simon a boot up the arse about that job.

I thought it was €700 not $700 dunno how you do it mate. Hats off to you.

PS. When is Kenny's Atomic Modding Section going to be arriving?? :D

KeNnY
Holy shit mate, Id better give Simon a boot up the arse about that job.

I thought it was €700 not $700 dunno how you do it mate. Hats off to you.

PS. When is Kenny's Atomic Modding Section going to be arriving?? :Whistle:

Hehe Ska :D its Poprad, and I am living with parents so I am giving every month 100€ to them. Ska that job will the one way only, if yes or no.. I can't loose this job without knowing for 100% that I have something where I can work, because then I will not be able to find this "good job" in my region.

Ska we aren't having that much high prices for food, but well we are Slovakia, and we are managing to buy 700USD TV even that some of our wage is only 500USD...

Hehe Kennys Modding Section I hope soon. I still need to talk with mods about this, I haven't put on any official request yet.

solkryssare

Damn mate! Drinks are on me if you come to London :Whistle: Tell you what. Flight is on me as well.......

Thanks Mate that is generous from you !

Cheaper would be that you will take plane here to Poprad, and just bring 40 pounds.. you will be totalled with alcohol here for that money :D

Haha. Looking forward to that mate :D Im serious about the flight tho. Let me know.

Ska

Gotta love the Mafia!! TVs for everyone!!

pollux1

I could be in for one of these Ska, the workmanship is outstanding.

Ska

Once the prototypes are finished in a couple of months I'll be taking deposits on the production run.

KeNnY
Haha. Looking forward to that mate :D Im serious about the flight tho. Let me know.

Thanks solkry, that is really kind from you !! :D

Gotta love the Mafia!! TVs for everyone!!

lol :Whistle:

solkryssare

Chris. Let me know if you want to post this on RG. We usually don't do pre payments on products not ready at hand. WM9 put a stop to that. Especially not if your are not a RG dealer. But when its ready to go, let me know and we can work something out.

Ska

Sure mate - I won't be taking pre-orders on the forum itself, but through my newly formed company "Christian Howes Watch Co." via my website using worldpay or a similar CC payment processor with receipts etc so there's 100% accountability and refundability for anyone who orders in the unlikely event that anything goes awry with the project.

At this level, everything has to be 100% professional but I have to take pre-orders to finance the production run. Doing 50 of these babies will probably cost me $20,000 - $30,000 so I need to protect myself as well.

pollux1
Once the prototypes are finished in a couple of months I'll be taking deposits on the production run.

Happy days mate, I see no reason why I won't be in for one then :D I'm loving the bracelet and box :Whistle:

KeNnY
loving the bracelet and box :Whistle:

+ On that !! It looks amazing ! :D

themoo-12

Perhaps in the case back engrave a 1st edition? Especially for the initial 50 watches or so. Not sure if any company does that, but I think it might be cool.

Ska

Absolutely mate, each watch will be serial numbered and each box has a plaque on the lid engraved with the name and address of the recipient along with corresponding watch model and serial number.

:)

I was thinking of having the 1st 50 come with a certificate as well.