Sign in to follow this  
Ska

Ska's Custom Watch Project Update: 1st Dial Prototype

Ska

Latest Render showing the final prototype design (V1.3):

This is the final design guys, in a few weeks this is what you'll see in the flesh. Thanks to everyone for their comments and support!!

Mods since V1.2:

1. Date Window moved to 3 and enlarged

2. Numeral at 6 added

3. "Cambridge" added to bottom of dial in "Swiss Made" position

4. "Automatic Chronometer" added by Screen Print to lower part of dial.

5. Case height increased by 0.5mm to accomodate thicker crystal

6. all case dimensions modified to take DLC/Plating tolerances into consideration

7. Lug Chamfer enlarged and sharpened

8. Crystal changed to Flat type with bevelled edge rather than domed for increased strength.

9. Red Sweeping Seconds Hand Added

10. modified Rotor design completed (not that you can see it from this pic)

11. Neoprene custom gasket thickness increased for stronger compression coefficient.

12. Rear crystal shelf size increased by 0.2mm for greater seal surface area.

13.Leather Strap render added for aesthetic testing

Here's the pic:

render3.jpg

themoo-12

Why the change to Automatic Chronometer from Wingman? The name on the dial was one of the unique parts of the watch IMO. Still the other changes I love especially the red hand! Ska, put me down on the list for a preorder (maybe even 2, so I can get my dad one for a birthday present in a few months)! I cant wait to see these cranked out!

Ska

Don't worry mate it's still the Wingman! :lol:

Just says it on the back now rather than both

Now that it's going to be loaded with my own COSC calibre I felt it would be silly not to put it on the dial.

I might still add a line of text above those saying "Wingman".

graman

:lol:

Man....... I love this!

Seriously....

wat44

great work Ska!!!

is the bezel staying plain?

mulder

Impressive web site Ska. Just had a look

themoo-12

I would love to see the name on the dial :lol: will the watch have water resistance? (sounds like a noob rep question :popcorn:)

wat44

ska - why dont you check out kickstarter - it worked AMAZINGLY well for the tik tok to get pre-orders

KeNnY

I possible that whole red secondhand would be lumed second hand ? Red daylight and white/green/blue night color ? Does superluminova create an good red lume ?

:lol: looks amazing Chris !

solkryssare

The rendering shows a gloss dial. Will this be the case with the finished product?

Wiz

Looks awesome, I can't imagine how much time and effort you've putted into this project, and the result is just stunning!

There is just one little detail: the fact that the chamfer is different on the lugs and on the CG is a little weird.

solkryssare
Looks awesome, I can't imagine how much time and effort you've putted into this project, and the result is just stunning!

There is just one little detail: the fact that the chamfer is different on the lugs and on the CG is a little weird.

Agreed. A better look would be if the larger chamfer on the lugs narrowed down to the same that's on the CG's, when they meet imo.

Ska

Lol I'll try to answer as many questions as possible. Ok here goes.

1. Yup I've put Wingman back on the dial. Looks much better. :)

2. Yes it's going to be VERY waterproof (unless I've fucked up) thanks to the shaped gasket, again laser cut from nitrile/neoprene and the glued-in crystals.

3. Kenny - going to try and do exactly that, with my signature blue lume at night but red during the day. Testing has begun in earnest!

4. Solkry - the reflection in the render is from the crystal, the dial is made from matte black ceramic.

5. Wiz - now I look at it I kind of agree with you mate. I'll test out a matching chamfer on the CGs.

Again, thanks to you all, many features and details of this watch are so much better thanks to your input. It's much appreciated!!!!

Now to Pisa off the engineers by resending v1.4 :lol:

Ska

Sol - sorry mate I disagree entirely with that. It would make the lugs look completely top heavy. The chamfer should narrow towards the end of the lugs if anything.

What I'm going to do is widen the chamfer on the CGs towards the case so they match the lugs.

chum_2000_uk

Really can't wait to see pics of a finished article... I wish I could afford one of these! Hmm.... I think both my kidneys are functioning ok....

graman

This thing keeps getting more and more awesome!

It's also going to glow like Kenny's watch box!

Lovely bit of engineering! Excited about the movement too Ska!...Wow!....looking forward to seeing this in action!

KeNnY
It's also going to glow like Kenny's watch box!

:Whistle:

Legger

Looks bloody amazing!!

Foolish1

I like it!

Member X

This is a Thread of Awesomeness :D

I soooooo want one of these and at $1.5k / £1k it is a stunning bargain for the tech and spec B) - look at a B&R01 at over £2k for a stainless steel case and off the shelf ETA/Sellita movement and it is clearly excessively priced, as we've always known - but I blatantly can't afford one! ;) lol

I may have to get a new 0% credit card... :Whistle: :P

For me I'd prefer date-at-6, I like the symmetrical look, but I don't think you'd get the text on the dial lol

Re: the ceramic+DLC vs Steel+darker coating, you could do the ceramic on the initial run and offer the steel+darker coating as the phantom model (if it's going to be a stealth/phantom version), or the super-tough model that is designed to stand up to Armed Forces use :)

themoo-12

So what is the ETA for a production model?

solkryssare
Sol - sorry mate I disagree entirely with that. It would make the lugs look completely top heavy. The chamfer should narrow towards the end of the lugs if anything.

What I'm going to do is widen the chamfer on the CGs towards the case so they match the lugs.

And I'm afraid I have to disagree with that entirely :popcorn: Its no different than what you see on a Rolex Sub or SD. The starting chamfer at the lugs just needs to be a bit smaller than it is now. But do what makes you happy mate.

MJC

Looks awesome.... Sign me up :rofl:

Ska

And I'm afraid I have to disagree with that entirely :) Its no different than what you see on a Rolex Sub or SD. The starting chamfer at the lugs just needs to be a bit smaller than it is now. But do what makes you happy mate.

:) you know when you visualise something without actually drawing it. And get things backwards. That's what I was doing.

I meant the same as you did. You were right. I just imagined it backwards. :D

solkryssare

And I'm afraid I have to disagree with that entirely :) Its no different than what you see on a Rolex Sub or SD. The starting chamfer at the lugs just needs to be a bit smaller than it is now. But do what makes you happy mate.

:) you know when you visualise something without actually drawing it. And get things backwards. That's what I was doing.

I meant the same as you did. You were right. I just imagined it backwards. :D

I'm glad we don't have to get into a fight about this in London then :D