SCShrek

My vintage pipe dream...oh yea and a couple of 6204's....

SCShrek

When this whole lock down thing started here in my country/state, I thought I would finally get some time to play with watches. I had all the parts ordered for a custom 1675 and then ordered 3 cartels from MR: a 5513 sub, a 1665 DRSD, and a 6204.

Well as you know with newbie modders...things go to shit real quick...the 1675 Looks reallly good with its Milk case and insert along with a Ruby dial but wait...where's the movement? According to tracking, it's in route from china...for 6 weeks so far and hasnt landed in the US yet. I just envision a plane circling the globe hundreds of times with our stuff. Why say a package has left the airport when it's clearly sitting in some massive pile somewhere waiting to board a plane...ok..rant over on that one. Status: on hold

I moved on to the DRSD and the modding was going real well until I got my mits on the movement and screwed the keyless (again)...times 20. So off the movement goes to a very good member here that always offers to help when I screw the pooch...status: on hold

Not having a great track record lately with keyless as my own DRSD keyless actually broke (not my fault this time), I started eyeing the 5513 until a child of mine said he wanted it for his birthday last Thursday and he didnt want is modded. I like to think the kid likes shiny things more so than he doesnt want me screwing up a perfectly good watch modding it! :lol: Status: Will need to order another from MR.

So that left the 6204:

I already had one that I modded but found some pics and made some changes to be more like a gen. Here's what I was going after. These a pics are from a Christie's auction. Sale price was right around $200K

pIUNK.jpgpIeeR.png

So the new one is on the left and the older one is on the right:

Both got the overhaul...

Dial, bezel(oxidized) and insert aged a bit. These inserts WILL NOT FADE.

Case: Beveled the lugs since they hard sharp 90 degree angles initially. Drilled lugs for 2mm spring bars. modified the bracelets for the same spring bars. The non riveted bracelet turned out to be a surprise when the bracelet attachment link turned out to be solid. A power drill and a sharp bit took care of the job.

Hands: New hands of the pencil variety with the lollipop on the end from raffles I believe, relumed to match the dial

Crown: New crowns with the "+" rather than the Cartel underline to make it more like gen to the pics above.

Differences in the two: 

The new one has the rivet bracelet. The new on also has a domed Sternkruez plexi while the older one has a Clarks plexi. Both better than the cartel.

Now some pics

New one on the left, older one on the right

pIA0L.jpg

Sorry about the turned photos: This is the new one
pIhmS.jpg

The older one
pI2PQ.jpg

Can tell the difference in the domed Sternkruez of the new on in the forground vs the older one with the clarks. New crowns as well :)

pI5t8.jpg

I will post the others if I can manage to get them together...which means they may never get posted :lol:

Thanks for looking.

• Like 6

tribefan

That's really nice work Shrek. That albino dial is exactly the look I want to get in a pepsi GMT, someday.

What GMT movement did you wind up going with?

NCRich

Nice work.  These are fun projects.

SCShrek
2 minutes ago, tribefan said:

That's really nice work Shrek. That albino dial is exactly the look I want to get in a pepsi GMT, someday.

What GMT movement did you wind up going with?

It's a 2836 GMT by a guy named BOSSHUA who was selling on EBAY but also has his own site. Recommended by KJ2020 on RWI so he's a good seller, you just have to catch his GMT when he puts them on. I was thinking on this one too but was told it would need an H6 pinion. Not sure I want to tackle that: https://www.helenarou.com/hangzhou-6460-automatic-gmt-movement-date-at-300-eta-283646030028362.html

GingerApple

Awesome big guy! A bit dirtier than the Christies Gen, so I'm going to lower my offer; will you take $140k for them?

• Like 1

Moondustesp

Properly nice well done

SCShrek
4 hours ago, TheGingerFerret said:

Awesome big guy! A bit dirtier than the Christies Gen, so I'm going to lower my offer; will you take $140k for them?

Sent you a PM with my PP info brother. FF please. :rofl:

• Like 2

FunnyStarSystem

That's a lot of effort there dude, I'm very lucky you traded one with me, it's a real beaut! 

I feel honored to have one of your pieces and another on the way, this might be the start of a lifelong patronage! It's not like you have an actual, time consuming and difficult job :giggle:

What do I fancy next, letsee.........hmmmm - I guess I'll take whatever your kid rejects, for starters! :)

PHv0t.jpg

PHso5.jpg

PHuPF.jpg

C0Bis.jpg

• Like 3

OLDBLOKE74

Some people are very talented. 
Great post which I enjoyed very much

Thank You 

• Like 1

Redfire1066

A good read ... Scshrek.  Thanks for that.    I spent decades collecting high end Swiss and Japanese watches that I was reluctant to wear and babied, I stupidly kept them tucked away in boxes collecting dust buddies and never really got joy and the use of them on the wrist.. .........  ..  . .  .... . I am having loads more fun here on RWG, it is awesome.   And those £20K plus and often £200K + vintage watches.... you refer too (which are £200K out of my price range by the way  ...  .. because I just work  for a living... ... ...)     I just could not see myself with the active lifestyle today  .. . . ......down at the seaside on the beach, scuba diving or Skiing at 10000 feet with a 60+  years old watch, regardless of the brand or service history.  Those watches I have had the pleasure to wait for in anticipation being delivered "on the slow boat from China" rather than from the usual trunk  with my boot heels wandering the obligatory high street boutique suspects.  Those Rep's are all worn a lot and often in the most extreme and adventurous environmental conditions ..  . a lot  ...  . . . . and they take a lot of outdoor punishment and I love that about them .... ... and they can be as cheap as chips too.  Some people around me in my social circle know I have always collected watches and amazingly ..... ... very rarely does anyone ever question the authenticity because they where so used to seeing the Genuine watches on my wrist.  It does make me chuckle sometimes.  Although I have never claimed it to be anything it is not when challenged.  Those Reps and Mod's to me are fun.

I often wonder if some of those fantastic Rep & homage watches I get from TD's and others that I have had modified are actually a better all round and more reliable, robust and practical watch for daily wear ... ...  ... minus the so called large $$$$$$ investment in authentic vintage watches . . . . .which sometimes come with an automatic movement .... ... . . . of snobbery.   

I do love a modified vintage Rep ... :thumbsup2:

Enjoy seeing your posts and looking forward to more.  

Fuzzy