Aramis2288

Finally PAM 1661 Carbotech !!!

Aramis2288

Oh. My. God.

How long have I been waiting for PAM 1661 Carbotech to FINALLY get repped.

So today I am doing my casual check of Trusty's website to see what's up and.... WOULD. Y'ALL. LOOK. AT THAT!

pG1aK.png

https://trustytime.shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=37_49&products_id=21268

Given (hopefully temporary) lack of pics, the reference to the gen:

https://www.ablogtowatch.com/panerai-luminor-pam-1661-hudson-yards/

So f. excited!

@trustytime, since it's a pre-order what's the estimated delivery time for this little beauty?

Edited by Aramis2288
  • Like 1

Jibuti

nice one, Porthos....

GingerApple

Can I justify another similar watch? :facepalm:

Yes!

That was an easier dilemma than I thought :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Aramis2288
16 minutes ago, TheGingerFerret said:

Can I justify another similar watch? :facepalm:

Yes!

That was an easier dilemma than I thought :thumbsup:

Hahahah, damn straight!:mine:

GingerApple
2 hours ago, Aramis2288 said:

@trustytime, since it's a pre-order what's the estimated delivery time for this little beauty?

Bear in mind that Trusty says the photo is of the Gen sample given it's still pre-order. Even though VSF have been knocking out brilliant rep after brilliant rep, I really think you should wait until you say least see one photo of the Rep before going for it.

Aramis2288
14 minutes ago, TheGingerFerret said:

Bear in mind that Trusty says the photo is of the Gen sample given it's still pre-order. Even though VSF have been knocking out brilliant rep after brilliant rep, I really think you should wait until you say least see one photo of the Rep before going for it.

Sure thing. I am a bit crazy about this particular piece but not that crazy. I can wait a bit.

In this case, however, I am keeping my expectations relatively high given the available evidence of VSF making PAM661 Luminor Carbotech since a while (https://trustytime.shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=37_51&products_id=20821). 

Reason for that is fairly solid, I believe - These 2 have the same case made of the same material and the same movement. So, if I'm not mistaken, the main difference should (hopefully) be the dial and the strap. And that would make it not really that much of an experimental product as a reiteration of the known one.

Edited by Aramis2288

BravoDelta

Hey, anyone that has a carbon watch...pros and cons?? It's a rabbit hole I haven't entered...yet. 

Aramis2288

22 minutes ago, BravoDelta said:

Hey, anyone that has a carbon watch...pros and cons?? It's a rabbit hole I haven't entered...yet. 

I used to wear a rep of PAM1616 as a part of a temporary exchange with a friend of mine. Seemed pretty solid - as solid as carbon can get - I presume similar to the gen. Cannot comment on the long term use though.

The subjective disadvantage was that it was a bit too toy-looking for me. I ended up being very impressed by the material but not too much into the watch itself.  

I hope that the PAM1661 will be giving different vibes given its smaller and smoother form factor.

Edited by Aramis2288

GingerApple

I love my VSF Carbotechs!!!! They are very light and comfy, they have a soft, warm feel to them. The bezels on mine are the zebra style though, where the carbon is layered a different way on this one; circular swirl like the 661 linked above.

Aramis2288
21 minutes ago, TheGingerFerret said:

I love my VSF Carbotechs!!!! They are very light and comfy, they have a soft, warm feel to them. The bezels on mine are the zebra style though, where the carbon is layered a different way on this one; circular swirl like the 661 linked above.

I am guessing that with normal care the material should be resilient in a longer period of time, right? By 'normal care' I mean not flooring it with premeditation, but at the same time not treating it like a fragile snowflake. Just a normal reasonable day-to-day use.

Edited by Aramis2288

Simonix

I have a VSF 661. 

it’s great. Nicely finished. Lightest of all my Pam reps, even the 42mm. 

looks like an identical case on this, so it will just be a different dial and strap. It has an internal steel case “carrier” for the movement and caseback to screw into. 

It’s real carbon, so should be hard wearing. I have other items (not watches) that hold up very well, made from this stuff. 

Worth noting through, mine has traditional spring bars, instead of the Pam style pins. I guess it’s because of the nature of the carbon doesn’t allow threads to be cut particularly well. 

here is a photo anyway....

p09hj.jpg
p0n94.jpgp06sI.jpg

BravoDelta
45 minutes ago, Simonix said:

It has an internal steel case “carrier” for the movement and caseback to screw into

Wonder if that's like the gen? Is the internal steel case glued in place?

Simonix
1 minute ago, BravoDelta said:

Wonder if that's like the gen? Is the internal steel case glued in place?

I believe the gen has the same, but it is titanium, not steel. 
I would guess it’s bonded in with epoxy resin of some sort. Bearing in mind that is one of the main components of the carbon block anyway. 

GingerApple
3 hours ago, Aramis2288 said:

I am guessing that with normal care the material should be resilient in a longer period of time, right? By 'normal care' I mean not flooring it with premeditation, but at the same time not treating it like a fragile snowflake. Just a normal reasonable day-to-day use.

Mine all look brand new, they don't scratch at all in normal use. It's not like SS with the tiny hairlines you get etc.

• Like 1

VictorianTime

Very awesome 

West34th

I wasn’t aware of the carbon PAM gens until a few weeks ago. I think they’re spectacularly good and am happy that the reps are now available.

BadApple

Carbon PAM reps have been around for years not exactly "now available" 

S3mm3l

Anyone got his hands on one and can confirm a good rep?

GingerApple
53 minutes ago, S3mm3l said:

Anyone got his hands on one and can confirm a good rep?

Yep, I have. Decent rep. Bought when this thread was made and still going well. I don't wear it too often given its part of a mid sized collection, but never had an issue with it and VSF are nearly always good watches/reps.

romanmalon

What a cool model this is:blowup:

Does anyone know how to get it at a discount? The price is simply cosmic. I'm just choosing a gift for a friend's wedding, I think such a watch will definitely fit

I am going to buy it right away with an additional strap(for a complete set). I plan to buy here https://www.horusstraps.com/collections/straps-for-panerai  It's just important not to come across a fake.

Edited by romanmalon

Zen23

I have 979 ( on the way to me:)) it will be nice to here how good is this kind of case in long term use .

Zen23

So 2 weeks with 979 , first impressions marvelous! It is really scratch resistant! Only one issue- it can have better crystal or maybe it’s only my imagination