Sign in to follow this  
gottahaverolex

It seems I may have ended up with one of the wonky H factory movements

gottahaverolex

My new 177M keeps stopping randomly. I opened it up and checked for anything obvious that may be wrong. Everything looks correct , all screws are tight but not too tight. No obstructions or anything of the like. Any ideas as to what may be the issue here? It'll run fine for two or three days then then next day it'll stop ten times within a few hours. A light tap will get it ticking again. I know these H factory movements have been iffy at best but I'm not going the route of swapping movements if I can help it. What say ye!?

KeNnY

I bet there will be some H factory hair

greg_r

I'd swap it - even the 'good' ones are pretty shoddy. My 177L (which was QC'd by Robert and is therefore working fairly well) feels like crap when it's wound and is definitely going to be getting a movement upgrade in due course...

gottahaverolex
I'd swap it - even the 'good' ones are pretty shoddy. My 177L (which was QC'd by Robert and is therefore working fairly well) feels like crap when it's wound and is definitely going to be getting a movement upgrade in due course...

I know the swap is the only fix, just hate to keep pouring money into a brand new watch. I guess I'll just buy new movements for all my ULTIMATE reps :popcorn: and swap them. Just seems silly to put these sub par movements in such nice new models.

Del

Sorry to hear this ghr. :popcorn:

Do you think these "H" movements are actually crap or have they just been badly assembled and are in need of a service?

gottahaverolex
Sorry to hear this ghr. :popcorn:

Do you think these "H" movements are actually crap or have they just been badly assembled and are in need of a service?

Hard to say Del, I'm sure a good servicing could resurrect some of them but the problems most guys are having are parts actually breaking. Such as my mainspring in my 005. nothing a servicing can do for that! I have opened every one of my ultimate PAMs and checked every screw in every one and found that ALL of them had a loose stem set screw, not to mention loose bridge screws. If this is happening to most of them it could explain all the winding / keyless works problems everyone seems to be having.

On another note, I just noticed the CG was loose on the 177, I'm wondering if the stem wasn't pushed in tight enough and maybe that is why it kept stopping randomly!? I tightened it up and so far so good! YAY!!!

Del
Hard to say Del, I'm sure a good servicing could resurrect some of them but the problems most guys are having are parts actually breaking. Such as my mainspring in my 005. nothing a servicing can do for that! I have opened every one of my ultimate PAMs and checked every screw in every one and found that ALL of them had a loose stem set screw, not to mention loose bridge screws. If this is happening to most of them it could explain all the winding / keyless works problems everyone seems to be having.

On another note, I just noticed the CG was loose on the 177, I'm wondering if the stem wasn't pushed in tight enough and maybe that is why it kept stopping randomly!? I tightened it up and so far so good! YAY!!!

Yeah, good point - if parts are breaking then clearly they are poor quality. Having said that, loose screws aren't going to help either!

Hope you've found the problem on your 177...:)

David543

Sorry to hear that, I was gonna suggest a service as the movement can get 'sticky' if it's oil is old, it didn't have oil or there is stuff in it. But if bits keep breaking.... Well that just means the materials are poor :)

68 Bullit

Does this mean that all of the 177L and 177M ultimate 1:1 reps will potentially need a replacement 6497 movement? So far mine has been no problem, but I am now thinking of buying a back-up movement, does anyone have a recommended movement that would further enhace this fabulous rep?

Luthier

Somebody said 6497 is a bulletproof mov't...

:finger:

Fed949
Somebody said 6497 is a bulletproof mov't...

:lol:

Quality control is sometime hard to maintain for replica watch. Its like lottery, you sometime get the excellent one and sometime......

Silverspeed

The 6497 is normally a very solid movement, but when the factories decide to use the cheapest of the cheapest version we'll end up with pieces of crap

gtwc

My 177L stopped working after I shook it whilst trying to remove a broken screw in the lug.

I fear it was scared to death.

I now have a beautiful, super-lumed, non-working titanium beast - too light for a bookstop.

And I'm sorry to see that Getat no longer offers 6497s, only 6498s.

gottahaverolex
My 177L stopped working after I shook it whilst trying to remove a broken screw in the lug.

I fear it was scared to death.

I now have a beautiful, super-lumed, non-working titanium beast - too light for a bookstop.

And I'm sorry to see that Getat no longer offers 6497s, only 6498s.

Over at RG there are several threads on where to get very good movements for the swap. Angus has them and Robert says he'll have them available very soon.my loose CG was definitely causing my issue, running like a champ now!

Silverspeed

Plenty of decent A6497's are available on ebay....bought a couple some time ago for $35

sconehead

...for those of you who bought one directly off Robert, there's a thread in his section on the matter...act quickly, he who hesitates an' all that...:P