Aramis2288

Daytona DiW Carbon - Hot Or Not?

Aramis2288

Hi there folks,

Does anyone of you happened to own one of these reps of DiW forged carbon Daytonas?

I do think that Gens look amazing and I was surprised when some time ago I saw a rep of it.

For reference:

Gen: 

https://designa-individual.com/en/watches/carbon-w

CJV0L.png

If it is about the rep, however, even though they are available since a while, there is not much noise around them in general. I was curious if any of you guys either own one of these or know somebody who does. It would be good to get posted some hi-res photos of the rep in real-life conditions. 

For now my observations are quite obvious:

1. It is A7750 based rep which means that it's a 'fat' Daytona (+ all of the potential reliability problems that may come with this movement if one is unlucky)

2. The dial of the gen is made of a forged carbon just like the case and bezel, while the dial on the rep seems to be made of normal black composite. Weird given that they managed to make a case of forged carbon why wouldn't they go for a dial as well.

3. The crystal seems to sticking the hell out.

Rep (example model):

https://trustytime.shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_6&products_id=20466

https://trustytime.shop/index.php?main_page=advanced_search_result&search_in_description=1&keyword=diw+daytona&x=0&y=0

https://chazingtime06.co/search/content/diw

CVzHv.png

CV311.png

What do you folks think?

Edited by Aramis2288

deju

It’s cool but I’d want an arf case with modified A7750 or a Noob, I couldn’t live with the fat case and A7750 time bomb 

rikracy

Strange as it might seem..I actually prefer the plain rep dial!

The gen dial looks way too busy?

Agree, 7750 fatness is a downside, too!!

Red Chrono subdial hands would look better, too!

Just my opinion..:D

Aramis2288
1 hour ago, deju said:

It’s cool but I’d want an arf case with modified A7750 or a Noob, I couldn’t live with the fat case and A7750 time bomb 

This is my main concern as well. You are getting fat-tona and it costs around the same price tag as ARF.

55 minutes ago, rikracy said:

Strange as it might seem..I actually prefer the plain rep dial!

The gen dial looks way too busy?

Agree, 7750 fatness is a downside, too!!

Red Chrono subdial hands would look better, too!

Just my opinion..:D

I am inclined to agree with your statement about the red subdial hands!:D

If it is about dial I would prefer having gen-like one. Just to have it as similar for the gen as you can (and yes i know this timepiece is so rare that nobody would be able spot that most probably, but still...)

Edited by Aramis2288

BravoDelta

My strictly non technical opinion, as the heading is "hot or not"...Not. Maybe it would be better irl,  but I dont care for that look. Certainly wouldnt pop $500 + for it.  My 2 cents :)

• Like 1

Aramis2288

For me the main issue is fat A7750. But I am into that forged carbon look in general. what I am really hoping for is that the maker will rep this GMT soon. If well done can be a good hit. Especially that there is a big variety of 28.800 bpm movements that can handle GMT and date complication without impacting the dimensions of the watch.

Cc8Wc.png

BravoDelta
16 minutes ago, Aramis2288 said:

For me the main issue is fat A7750. But I am into that forged carbon look in general. what I am really hoping for is that the maker will rep this GMT soon. If well done can be a good hit. Especially that there is a big variety of 28.800 bpm movements that can handle GMT and date complication without impacting the dimensions of the watch.

Cc8Wc.png

Now that one I like...Hot. :thumbsup2:

k4jun

All carbon DiW's are HOT!!! :)

Aramis2288
36 minutes ago, k4jun said:

All carbon DiW's are HOT!!! :)

Even this one? LOL

k4jun
4 hours ago, Aramis2288 said:

Even this one? LOL

Lol, Ok I haven't seen that, lol. Then I recall it and change for "most of carbon DiW's are HOT"

Aramis2288
Lol, Ok I haven't seen that, lol. Then I recall it and change for "most of carbon DiW's are HOT"
Hahahah, yeah, that's more like it

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

josmcg

The carbon coating will wear off quickly. I’ve owned a few Gens that were carbon. The black wore off very quickly. Even on a $600 Bulova. Never again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Simonix

Not if it’s made from solid carbon. 

• Like 1

Aramis2288
18 minutes ago, Simonix said:

Not if it’s made from solid carbon. 

Exactly.

24 minutes ago, josmcg said:
14 minutes ago, josmcg said:

The carbon coating will wear off quickly. I’ve owned a few Gens that were carbon. The black wore off very quickly. Even on a $600 Bulova. Never again.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The PVD / DLC coating or gold plating wears off as it is just a layer of a certain material covering the steel base.

In regards to carbon, I would disagree. For example, I happened to own a carbon fibre phone case which I got from AliExpress. Even though the case is covered with carbon fibre (and some epoxy on the top) and not made of solid carbon, I cannot see it wearing off over months of abusement. And let's be honest - the phone is getting way more punishment than a watch.

In the case of the solid carbon case, it should not be 'wearing off'.

In terms of the case when the carbon could wear off, I guess it can happen with things such as stainless steel watches which have PVD layer giving a look of carbon - after all it is just a PVD - example:

https://trustytime.shop/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=37_47&products_id=16324

PUnVX.png

Edited by Aramis2288

Mike R

Idk, for me Daytona and stealth style do not fit. 

deju
1 hour ago, Aramis2288 said:

Interestingly, Noob made not-fat Daytona with a clone movement. Nice stuff. The price, however.... :fuck:

https://trustytime.io/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_6&products_id=22875

Yup the 1:1 DiW is here, in fairness not that much more for the carbon case over the standard, but I don’t love it enough for it to be the most expensive non franken I’d buy

Aramis2288
20 minutes ago, deju said:

Yup the 1:1 DiW is here, in fairness not that much more for the carbon case over the standard, but I don’t love it enough for it to be the most expensive non franken I’d buy

Frankly, from all the weird custom versions of Rolex watches, I like the DiW one the most(*), but that's because I am into forged carbon look. Having said that, I would still much rather go for some ceramic bezel Noob V3 Daytona. What I do like, however, is that since last year there seems to be a bit more noise - before the releases of VSF & ZZF (etc.), Noob and ARF used to have the monopoly on the quality Rollies, so I guess they were not too motivated to innovate. Hopefully, we will see a similar trend in 2021.

(*)Well, the DiW and perhaps the sub by Tempus Machina... :D

Edited by Aramis2288

Glaude
15 hours ago, Aramis2288 said:

What I do like, however, is that since last year there seems to be a bit more noise - before the releases of VSF & ZZF (etc.), Noob and ARF used to have the monopoly on the quality Rollies, so I guess they were not too motivated to innovate. Hopefully, we will see a similar trend in 2021.

(*)Well, the DiW and perhaps the sub by Tempus Machina... :D

It's is nice indeed to see this custom release being made in the form of reps, I appreciate the irony of those rep even more given that brands don't like those customs made of their watches. I believe Rolex had a trial with Bamford at one point and maybe Label Noir too

Aramis2288
1 hour ago, Glaude said:

It's is nice indeed to see this custom release being made in the form of reps, I appreciate the irony of those rep even more given that brands don't like those customs made of their watches. I believe Rolex had a trial with Bamford at one point and maybe Label Noir too

Really? I didn't know that. I would've assumed that all of these companies must have some sort of deal with Rolex in order to be able to sell their pieces.

All in all, I think that the absolute majority of custom(ish) pieces are made out of Rolex watches. And that's kind of understandable, as Rolex is a rather slowly evolving and conservative house. Try to compare it with the innovations that Omega or Panerai bring with their materials - two different worlds.

Glaude
3 minutes ago, Aramis2288 said:

Really? I didn't know that. I would've assumed that all of these companies must have some sort of deal with Rolex in order to be able to sell their pieces.

https://www.watchpro.com/rolex-on-solid-legal-footing-in-lawsuit-accusing-watch-customiser-of-counterfeiting/

3 minutes ago, Aramis2288 said:

All in all, I think that the absolute majority of custom(ish) pieces are made out of Rolex watches. And that's kind of understandable, as Rolex is a rather slowly evolving and conservative house. Try to compare it with the innovations that Omega or Panerai bring with their materials - two different worlds.

Rolex are, for some reason, highly desirable, and relatively cheap when it come to high end watches (if you manage to get them retail of course), so I think they make for the perfect market for customizer 

5teve

In answer to Op. Yes:D

Z7FUOv.jpg Z7FWk1.jpg

• Like 3

Glaude

That do look nice !

deju
On 30/03/2021 at 17:29, Glaude said:

Rolex are, for some reason, highly desirable, and relatively cheap when it come to high end watches (if you manage to get them retail of course), so I think they make for the perfect market for customizer 

Silly French man..... Rolex make Tool watches not high end watches.... 

• Like 1

Aramis2288
9 hours ago, 5teve said:

In answer to Op. Yes:D

Z7FUOv.jpg Z7FWk1.jpg

Is it a clone movement noob, or A7750 one? In either case, congrats, it's a stunner!