Luthier

SOH - V1 vs V2

Luthier

clip_image001.jpg

I decided to write this review for a number of reasons. Firstly, the Breitling SuperOcean Heritage is probably my favorite watch of all time. There is something about the simplicity of the design and its fashionable versatility that really appeals to me. Secondly, I have found myself to be in possession of both the V1 and V2 versions of this replication at the same time (long story for that but I won’t elaborate here). And lastly because there is discussion from time to time on what the differences are between these two versions, and while some of the major items are covered, being able to compare both side by side I could see that there were a great number of other differences and I thought that I would share these observations.

SuperOcean Heritage

I won’t go into the details of the history of this watch as it is covered HERE in this awesome review by Seadweller4000. However, I will include this picture of the genuine articles as I will refer to it later when discussing the dial.

clip_image002.jpg

Ideally I would love to have had the gen on hand to do a triple comparison but alas I have not yet brought myself to purchase my grail. Instead I will try to use available images to complete the comparison (if any of these images are yours and you don’t want them used please let me know and I will exchange them for others).

Case

Here is a dimensional comparison of the two cases. My disclaimer here is that these are the best measurements I could take using the tools available so please don’t use them as absolute.

clip_image003.jpg

Without having seen the two together I never would have thought that there would be such significant differences in the basic dimensions, but they are in fact different sizes. In measuring both of these pieces it seems that no part of the V1 was carried over to the V2.

In the past there have been references to the size or length of the lugs and that they are too short. There is only a 0.3mm difference in overall length but the larger diameter of the V2 by 0.4mm should make the V1 appear to have longer lugs. However, the diameter difference affects the thickness of the lug where it meets the case and add to that the tip of the lug on the V1 is slightly wider which makes the V1 lugs appear “chunkierâ€, perhaps giving them the shorter appearance. I’ll leave the final judgment up to you but I think that both look OK relative to their case size.

Along with these changes in the case size and relative lug size they have added a dimple to the case between the lugs on the V2 to allow clearance for the strap. Based on what I can gather the gen is also dimpled in this area giving the V2 another leg up on accuracy to the real McCoy.

clip_image004.jpg

Also referred to previously is the relief in the area where the crown meets the case. This relief is very slight on the V1 but it is present. The V2 has a more pronounced relief but still it does not appear as clear as the gen. At least they are trying. :)

Crown-2.jpg

You can also see that the way the crown secures to the case is different between these two but I will get into that later.

Another difference is the placement of the laser etched code between the lugs at 6 o’clock. On the V1 this code is too low and the bottom edge of the box sits right on the edge of the case. The V2 has it raised up more on the side of the case, although not centered very well. I can’t find a shot of this for the gen but I expect that since the gen has the strap dimple it too must have the code higher on the case.

clip_image005.jpg

Case Back

From what I can measure they are exactly the same size. In fact, I was able to install both case backs in either case, so the part is cross compatible. However, this is where the similarity ends.

clip_image006.jpg

The obvious difference on the outside is the serial number, so at least they are not using the same one over and over. The more significant difference is in the font used and the spacing of the letters around the circumference “CHRONOMETER SUPEROCEAN EDITION SPECIALE ETANCHE 200Mâ€. When you compare the starting and ending angles of the text the V1 aligns with the corners of the opener flats but the gen falls a little outside of that. The V2 looks to have corrected this to better match the gen.

clip_image007.jpg

Another difference is the font used for the model number. Again the V2 is better in this regard with a deeper and thicker font with closer letter spacing.

Now we move to the inside of the case back. Inside the V1 is very clean and has nice perlage but other than that is blank. TheV2 has the inscription “BREITLING SWISS MADE†on the inside, although the perlage is not as clean as the V1. I can only assume that the gen has this inscription as well.

clip_image008.jpg

Bezel

Here is a dimensional comparison of the bezel (same disclaimer).

clip_image009.jpg

Like the case these two versions have differently sized bezels. Although the V2 bezel is actually larger, it appears smaller due to the fact that the insert diameter is smaller and thinner than the V1, giving the bezel a “chubby†look. In comparison to the gen the V2 appears to be more accurate.

clip_image0010.jpg

The V1 suffers from a coined edge that has been cut off at the face where as the V2 and the gen have coined edging that wraps around to the top. The size and shape of the coined grooves also seem to be larger, deeper and wider on the V2. So here again the V2 shines with its accuracy to the gen.

clip_image0011.jpg

Another problem with the V1 is the alignment of the markers as you rotate it around the dial. For whatever reason they only outfitted the V1 bezel with 90 clicks over the full 360 degrees of rotation. What this means is that if you have alignment at 12 then it is impossible to get alignment at 3 and 9. Very strange. Along with the other improvements of the V2 they also modified the bezel so that a full 120 clicks are achieved over the course of one revolution. Albeit at the cost of a very positive feel. The V1 bezel click is very pronounced and it cannot be inadvertently moved, while the V2 click is a little less satisfying.

Dial

There are a significant number of differences between the V1 and V2 dials. Overall the V2 is a very good replication of the genuine but the V1 appears to be an estimate, possibly based on photographs. The main reason I believe this is the way in which the black dial was made. The V1 has a glossy sunburst pattern on the dial (tricky to capture in a picture) but this was only true on the blue and bronze versions (see trio pic above). The black dial is actually a little more flat in sheen and has a very homogenous texture (no radial pattern). The V2 dial has this corrected and looks very good.

clip_image0012.jpg

Next of course is the dial font. The V1 suffers from a font that is a little too light and thin and is in fact the wrong font all together. The V2 has this fixed. Also, there is the famous alignment of the P & A. This being that the tail of the P in SuperOcean should align to the A in Automatic. The V1 does not but the V2 is spot on.

clip_image0013.jpg

Next on the dial are the gold hour batons. The overall surface shape of the batons on the V1 is incorrect. The genuine batons have only a slightly curved face but the V1 has these with significantly more arc, especially the ones at 3 and 9. Also, the double baton at 12 is too tall on the V1. The V2 seems to have corrected these issues and looks very accurate in comparison to the gen.

clip_image0014.jpg

Now let’s review the date font. Again here we see that the V1 has a very basic and un-Breitling type font. As with many of the other items this was corrected on the V2.

clip_image0015.jpg

Finally the lume. As with most reps the lume dots on both dials are poor. The only difference here with the two versions is that the V1 has thin circles at the lume dot locations where as the V2 seems to have filled in white dots underneath. The main benefit of this is that uncentered lume dots (which are inevitable) are not as noticeable on the V2.

clip_image0016.jpg

In comparing the performance of the lume I was surprised to see that the hands of the V1 were vastly superior to those on the V2. Here is how they look after initial exposure to a halogen lamp for 20 seconds.

clip_image0017.jpg

And here they are again a few minutes later.

clip_image0018.jpg

In spite of this better performance they are both still rep lume quality so neither of these are tool watch material.

Crown

The visual differences here are very subtle but definitely there. As previously shown the V1 crown is a little bit thinner and a little more “plump†then the gen. It seems that this too has been corrected as the V2 crown measures a touch taller (about 0.3mm) and has a more slender gen like appearance.

clip_image0019.jpg

The more significant difference is in the attachment of the crown to the crown tube. The V1 utilizes an externally threaded crown tube while the V2 has internal threads.

Crown-2-1.jpg

I do not know what the genuine uses but my guess is that the change with the V2 was done to better match the actual watch. Also, this structure seems a lot more robust than the outgoing V1 type when tightening the crown to the case.

The only other item of note with the crown is the “play†of the crown on the stem. The V1 is very stable when loosened off to winding position while the V2 seems to “wobble†quite a bit. It seems that this is due to the way that the crown is attached to the stem. It functions just fine but feels a little “inadequateâ€.

Movement

The genuine is made using a modified and decorated ETA 2824-2 movement called the B17. Notice that the balance is using a standard Incabloc shock protection system.

clip_image0020.jpg

The V1 that I have is equipped with an ETA 2824-2 while the V2 has the asian clone. This is one of the only areas where the V1 is superior to the V2 and what makes it closer to the gen since it is using the same basic movement. It is a shame that the V2 is not available with the ETA movement from our dealers. Regardless, let’s have a peek inside these pieces.

V1 ETA 2824-2

clip_image0021.jpg

Here we see that it is in fact equipped with a nickel plated ETA 2824-2. The balance has a Novodiac shock protection system which is not how the gen is equipped. I’m not sure if Breitling changes it or just has a different version delivered from ETA. The rotor is undecorated and non-marked, a little bland. Overall condition inside this case is very good and very clean. I am impressed.

EDIT: Since writing this I have learned that this movement is not a genuine ETA. Zig posted a great investigation HERE. After reading it I decided to have a closer look at this movement and found that the identifiers peg this as a Seagull with ETA markings The balance jewel has only one notch for spring removal and the bridges are drilled for the alignment pins. I bought it as an ETA as I suspect the original owner did too. Disappointing to find this but not all together unexpected. I would imagine any of these nickel plated "swiss" movements in the V1 are in fact Seagulls...so buyers beware.

V2 Asian Clone 2824

clip_image0022.jpg

In this one we see a similarly plated movement. Notice that there are no markings under the balance so it is not even pretending to be ETA. Overall appearance however is very good and looks almost exactly as the genuine ETA. The nice touch here of course is the decorated rotor. This aspect is very true to the gen even down to the coloured inner bearing race. Nice!

EDIT: Along the lines of the above investigation I took a closer look at this movement as well. This one in fact is closer to a gen ETA then the falsified ETA in the V1. While the balance jewel spring also only has one notch the bridges are NOT drilled. Seems in this case the V2 wins again for accuracy to the gen.

Strap

Both of these watches are outfitted with a rep OR strap with deployant clasp, and they appear to be the same, so I won’t go into any comparison here. However, I must admit that I am very impressed with the replication of this strap.

clip_image0023.jpg

The clasp of the deployant is smooth and easy to operate and provides very secure engagement. The rubber of the strap seems to fend off dust very well, which is a problem I know other rep rubber straps suffer from. My only complaint is that over time the rubber begins to develop “micro cracks†and the surface begins to dull.

clip_image0024.jpg

Final Verdict

Without a doubt they have improved the overall appearance of the SuperOcean Heritage by leaps and bounds from the V1 to the V2. So much so that the V2 is virtually indistinguishable from the genuine. For me the only thing that prevents the SOH v2 from being an “out of the box super rep†is the absence of an ETA movement. While not a huge deal to swap out, still something that is not for the faint of heart.

Jannis76

Awesome Luthier!!!

Great job!!!

Congratulations!

Cheers,

Jannis

HWG

One hell of a review, and what an impressive watch! Nicely done!

Rav747

This is great! Thanks, Luth.

Wish there was also a V3 comparison. Especially, since most of us will be getting either the V1.5 or V3

Luthier
Originally written by krpster, could also be reached by: http://www.replica-watches-guide.com/forum...p?showtopic=601

OK, Onze came, and put my 2 hours job in shit.

:morebeer:

I sawed that review in WORD long time ago, and it took me 2 hours to retract and save all 24 pictures in JEPG in special folder, then photobucket them, then copy/paste all the text with inserting appropriate links to the pictures betwen the text blocks, and yeah, here's a link to the post with 1853 links, go, find out, what you need...

:thumbsup2:

Just kidding, onze, you too did a great job, asshole.

:D

This is great! Thanks, Luth.

Wish there was also a V3 comparison. Especially, since most of us will be getting either the V1.5 or V3

V1,5 and V3 is the same model, post-V2.

pfcdre

Great job Luth, very educational and as i intend to get a breitling next, very useful cheers, thankyou. :thumbsup2:

onzenuub

Why is this thread not marked as contentious?????

nunu78

Gr8 Job, now u need to find me one as I almost blocked my desire of having one of these beauties :thumbsup2:

Takken

Great work Luthier. Now I have to buy the SOH V2 - even I think my wrist is to small (7,1 inch) ;)

mbjoer

Great work. Textbook example for reviews. Thanks.

BUT.................The V2 has not been available for a long time. - Is it back??

d1isthe1

Great Review luth ... thanks for sharing ...

kolchak
Great work Luthier. Now I have to buy the SOH V2 - even I think my wrist is to small (7,1 inch) :lol:

IMHO - Not too small. I'm about the same wrist & this (chrono version) is prob my fave piece. It "wears" smaller then it's 46mm size.

Good luck finding one (not sure if SOH in pee dogs up coming sale is V2 but I'd check that out)

snacksteve

Bring back the pics :-(

mindvision

Have looked for a V2 for ages before I gave up and bought a SO 44 instead. Hope they'll come out again!

snacksteve

Yeah i'm struggling to find one too- would of thought these would be big sellers tbh..

Tits McGee

One still for sale here

Yeah i'm struggling to find one too- would of thought these would be big sellers tbh..

One still for sale here today:

http://www.rwg.bz/board/index.php?showtopic=52090&st=0

snacksteve

Thanks Tits, that's a lovely watch but a bit over my current budget sadly :(

lookshan

Why can't i see the pic's ?

Cyril_Clunge
Why can't i see the pic's ?

Because the OP flounced off and took his photobucket with him.

Daywatch

If anybody knows a TD that still has the black SOH non-chrono please post/share.

dfq23

Silix has some listed but think if he has them they will be a v3

dloonar

Anyone noticed that some of the high-end copies of the SOH Chrono V2 have the word 'SPECIALE' misspelled as 'SPECALE' on the back case?

Noticed this on the Puretime and Kuvarsit sites - probably others too.

I have just bought a V2 from Kuvarsit - who have been exceptionally communicative and a pleasure to deal with. The watch looks to be pretty damn near perfect compared to the gen , except for that one schoolboy error!

thinkcooper

I wish the review pictures were still active in this thread. I have both a SOH V1 and SOH V2, and 2 V3 Chronos and was looking towards a reread.