Snapper71

Rolex paradox

black263
22 minutes ago, Popperini said:

Mrs. Popperini (being the talented member of the family) does art, and sells it in galleries. She was at one of her exhibitions recently, and the only person to comment on the watch she was wearing (a BP serti Sub) , was a very wealthy customer. She said something like, "What a lovely Rolex. You must be selling a lot of paintings..."

Assumptions are largely driven by environment and expectations. The rich lady didn't have any reason to question whether Mrs. Pop's Rolie was real or not - it wouldn't have crossed her mind. And in the situation, Mrs. Pops didn't feel compelled (like she normally does) to blurt out, "Oh, it's just a fake one - my husband gets them from China!" Instead she took the compliment and couldn't wait to tell me how her watch had fooled them. :)  

Pictures or she isn't an artist.  :brightlight:

• Like 1

Simonix

I was in a small privately owned high street Watch repair shop only a month or so back, looking at buying a strap for one of my Pams.

The guy in the shop seemed very excited to see my Rolex Explorer Polar (JF fac) on my wrist. Telling me how much they had gone up in value recently, and I should definitely update my home/contents insurance!

Didn't have the heart to tell him it had only cost me £150 second hand a few weeks prior...

He did have a lovely Omega PO Chrono in the window for about £5.5K....

• Like 1

Popperini
17 minutes ago, black263 said:

Pictures or she isn't an artist.  :brightlight:

ZKRUsF.jpg

ZKR5n5.jpg

I mean, I'm using the term "art" pretty loosely...

• Like 1

deju

The original question was about fakes hurting the industry, no one cares about getting called out or not. 

Especially in the UK you're more likely to see a gen Rolex on a building site than a Financial office. 

Popperini
5 minutes ago, deju said:

no one cares about getting called out or not.

Really? The subject seems to come up with pretty monotonous regularity.

Anyway, sincere apologies for contributing to the derailment of the original discussion, which was clearly very important.

Flinnt

Truth and reality don’t really matter anymore. Need evidence? Trump is the president of the US. 
I have a job which would lead most people to believe I can afford any watch I like. My house would lead most people to believe I can afford any watch I like. I wear clothes that must make people believe I’m wondering where my next meal is coming from. And no one ever asks about my watches, except one friend a week ago commented on my gen Speedy. I tell anyone who asks, “it’s a replica”, but they don’t ask...until I’m wearing my gen. 
I don’t present to strangers as someone who could afford expensive watches, I do present to those who know me as someone who can afford expensive watches. Neither of them give a damn about my watch. 
And this is why reps rule. 
This world has given me the wisdom to know if you’re in a suit don’t trust a single word that comes out of your mouth, you’re a conman. And if you’re in shorts and t-shirt then maybe you’ve something to say. But your watch won’t be recognised by anyone except the freak from RWG who’s best left unsaid. 
I love my reps. They’re about my enjoyment. No one else gives a damn. 

tribefan
On 29/05/2020 at 03:39, tripdog123 said:

Fake fakes are obviously harmful to the real fake industry - the fake fakers don't have any of the overheads associated with the legit fakers businesses,  they do no R & D, they have no respect for intellectual property rights and produce low quality copies of the real fakes - it's damaging for the real fake industry industry and it's image.

I personally have nothing against the Gate.

deju
46 minutes ago, Popperini said:

Really? The subject seems to come up with pretty monotonous regularity.

Anyway, sincere apologies for contributing to the derailment of the original discussion, which was clearly very important.

I accept apologies in the form of spider dial rolex. 

I beleive the real question is who has the best sub, of which you can say "I do" with a smirk like the grinch :lol:

• Like 3