Popperini

How do I get this bloody Snoopy caseback off?

Retrouk

I’d like to find a lumed bezel insert for mine, case back has never bothered me tbh but glad I know how to get it off :thumbsup2:

• Like 1

narikaa

244679258f47fedc02f5d77cec84c75f.jpg

magoo.jpg?raw=1

See the elusive knife slot was there all along

• Like 1

Popperini

magoo.jpg?raw=1
See the elusive knife slot was there all along

Yep... it was so bloody glaringly obvious, once you pointed out exactly where it was Reg - thanks again! Slightly unfortunate that the early intel sent me on a different track - but that’s the rich world of reps for you... :)

GingerApple

Oh man, I've only just discovered this thread now and I feared I'd missed out on the 'abusing popadoodle' phase, but as luck would have it, you've seemingly started a second 'abuse required' phase; what the very fuck are you doing with that caseback!!?!

Popperini

Awesome - Ferret abuse incoming!

34 minutes ago, TheGingerFerret said:

what the very fuck are you doing with that caseback!!?!

I'm attempting to improve upon the dire "colour photocopy of some space" backdrop to the Snoopy scene on the back of the VK quartz cheapy, and give it a tasteful "very dark blue with some silver star dusting" backdrop instead. 

Does anyone actually know whether the real thing has a crystal over the top of snoopy and his backdrop? It really doesn't look like it does, on any of the photos I've studied.

Popperini

I'm attempting to improve upon the dire "colour photocopy of some space" backdrop to the Snoopy scene on the back of the VK quartz cheapy, and give it a tasteful "very dark blue with some silver star dusting" backdrop instead. 

Does anyone actually know whether the real thing has a crystal over the top of snoopy and his backdrop? It really doesn't look like it does, on any of the photos I've studied.

Nikosaldente

I'm really curious to see how this turns out and if the Caseback can be pressed back on the case.

Following :D

Nikosaldente

I'm really curious to see how this turns out and if the Caseback can be pressed back on the case.

Following :D

Popperini

Intresting
3 hours ago, Popperini said:

It turns out that there was absolutely no point in removing the caseback. The underside is solid metal...

LOL. So, here’s Snoopy’s beating heart - the good ol’ VK:

9a8cbeff0932c1136ff12c21badfe8ec.jpg

And I proceeded to prove that all this little project requires, is a hammer...

e8afcb4945219946a0fd5fd12dc99ce0.jpg

283979a6470cd692a607d403c94239dc.jpg

With the glass smashed and removed, the bits I wanted to get at all simply fell out. The background is just a bit of printed cardboard.

37ba63243286db740ca5279c9c44aa87.jpg

So, tomorrow I can get on with making a new Snoopy backdrop!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just love the smirk on Snoopy's face.   Is that a middle  finger I see on the paws as well?   :D

Intresting
3 hours ago, Popperini said:

It turns out that there was absolutely no point in removing the caseback. The underside is solid metal...

LOL. So, here’s Snoopy’s beating heart - the good ol’ VK:

9a8cbeff0932c1136ff12c21badfe8ec.jpg

And I proceeded to prove that all this little project requires, is a hammer...

e8afcb4945219946a0fd5fd12dc99ce0.jpg

283979a6470cd692a607d403c94239dc.jpg

With the glass smashed and removed, the bits I wanted to get at all simply fell out. The background is just a bit of printed cardboard.

37ba63243286db740ca5279c9c44aa87.jpg

So, tomorrow I can get on with making a new Snoopy backdrop!

I just love the smirk on Snoopy's face.   Is that a middle  finger I see on the paws as well?   :D

GingerApple

Woah, what's with all the multiple posts? Is Glaude 'fixing' the website again?

SCShrek
1 hour ago, TheGingerFerret said:

Woah, what's with all the multiple posts? Is Glaude 'fixing' the website again?

;)

Flinnt
8 hours ago, Popperini said:

IIRC the snoopy caseback art is done with some form of resin and the silver stars are actually suspended in the resin giving a 3D effect, with the stars hand sprinkled as the resin pours so each skyscape is unique. 
Either that or it was one lucid dream. 

Popperini
30 minutes ago, Flinnt said:

IIRC the snoopy caseback art is done with some form of resin and the silver stars are actually suspended in the resin giving a 3D effect, with the stars hand sprinkled as the resin pours so each skyscape is unique. 
Either that or it was one lucid dream. 

The technique used is documented nicely on Omega’s website. The original backgrounds are created using enamelling, and silver powder. I was just uncertain whether the whole scene, including Snoopy, was protected under glass. It doesn’t look like it in photos, but it’s hard to tell for certain. Alhig assures me there’s no glass cover over it. So I’m gonna proceed with the rebuild sans glass. I’ve also ordered some Fimo polymer modelling clay in silver metallic, to have a go at modelling Snoopy myself. The rep one is okay, but could be better.

Shame about the auto-double-posting going on at the moment - it’s been rampant over on RWI too!

Mystery Shopper

Maybe that contributes as to why the gen is north of $30k USD??

Popperini
9 minutes ago, Mystery Shopper said:

Maybe that contributes as to why the gen is north of $30k USD??

Yeah, that hand-crafted element and the fact that they only made 1970 of them (the year of the Apollo 13 mission that the watch commemorates) does make the high secondhand price more understandable. 

That’s why once my unique, only-one-in-existence quartz version is finished, I’ll be putting it up for sale on M2M for three quarters of a million quid.

• Like 1

OJHorology

Hahaha you finally got to work on the snoopy - looking forward to the updates.

The snoopy pins themselves go for quite a bit.

• Like 1

narikaa
13 hours ago, Popperini said:

Yep... it was so bloody glaringly obvious, once you pointed out exactly where it was Reg - thanks again! Slightly unfortunate that the early intel sent me on a different track - but that’s the rich world of reps for you... :)

All this stardust sprinkling sounds like something The Carpenters might have written in the 70's

A final tip if you're doing the rebuild of the caseback: 

Use the stars each side of the serial number being centralised to the lower case lugs when its mounted (gives it symmetry) and place Snoopy etc to suit

• Like 1

Popperini

I thought I’d have a rummage in the dead dials box to see whether I might have a donor disc of metal for my background. Lo and behold, an old Omega dial (which I nicked the Omega name badge from, to use on a Ploppy dial) fits absolutely exactly! With its holes plugged, this’ll be the perfect starry night backdrop base.

9272a9c5a207debd6c3bdf9f8ea767f4.jpg

I’ve even got it roughly centered on the number at the bottom of the bezel for this snap, to keep Reg happy... :)

• Like 2

narikaa

Reg could care less, but he's sure you'd like the pointing out beforehand not after the sparkly resin has set over an offset dawg :bananarider:

• Like 1

Leet1983

Just out of curiosity I thought I'd see how hard it's was to remove 

dFvEk.jpg

Mine must have been a easy one to do literally 2 mins , got me thinking I may do my back now , now to remove the glass 

Leet1983

It took some doing but it came to bits 

dGiD2.jpg

On to the paint, thanks for the inspiration on this .

• Like 1

Popperini
1 hour ago, Leet1983 said:

Just out of curiosity I thought I'd see how hard it's was to remove 

Mine must have been a easy one to do literally 2 mins , got me thinking I may do my back now , now to remove the glass 

Well, I did say that once I stopped trying to unscrew it and found the pop-off indent, it took moments. So I doubt there's any difference!

Well done for getting the glass out intact tho. I couldn't be bothered to go to that effort! 

Look forward to seeing your starry starry night.

• Like 1

GingerApple
7 hours ago, Popperini said:

I’ve also ordered some Fimo polymer modelling clay in silver metallic, to have a go at modelling Snoopy myself.

Wow! This really is next level modding!!!!!