Popperini

How do I get this bloody Snoopy caseback off?

Leet1983

dSqj1.jpg dSmuv.jpg

So after a some inspiration from @Popperini I've finally finished the case back what do you guys think 

• Like 4

hasel5

Looking good 

• Like 1

GingerApple
11 minutes ago, Leet1983 said:

So after a some inspiration from @Popperini I've finally finished the case back what do you guys think 

Way more efficient than Popadoodle, that's for sure! Good job :thumbsup2:

• Like 2

Mike R
13 minutes ago, Leet1983 said:

what do you guys think 

It looks good. Did you use anything in place of the broken glass? Maybe a clear poured acrylic

• Like 1

Leet1983

Just struggling to get the case back, back on is there a knack too it 

Nikosaldente
15 minutes ago, Leet1983 said:

dSqj1.jpg dSmuv.jpg

Looks awesome mate! Waaaaay better than it was!

Well done :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Leet1983
9 minutes ago, Mike R said:

It looks good. Did you use anything in place of the broken glass? Maybe a clear poured acrylic

I managed to get the glass out complete wasnt easy ,all I have done is use the original insert ,sprayed satin black, raided our lass's nail varnish bag and nicked some glitter for stars ,polished snoopy a little, glued all back together as was, job done just struggling to put the case back on now 

• Like 1

Popperini
Just struggling to get the case back, back on is there a knack too it 

See Narikaa’s post... it’s a bugger. Got a crystal press?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

Leet1983

No unfortunately not :blush:

Leet1983
18 minutes ago, Popperini said:

Give it the Yorkshire death grip popped back on thankfully :Applause:

dSvOJ.jpg

• Like 2

Nikosaldente
18 minutes ago, Popperini said:

16 minutes ago, Leet1983 said:

No unfortunately not :blush:

I wonder: Since your Mod had nothing to do with the movement, why did you have to take off the Caseback the first place?

narikaa

R U mates with Mighty Joe Young then?

• Like 2

Mike R
43 minutes ago, Leet1983 said:

I managed to get the glass out complete wasnt easy ,all I have done is use the original insert ,sprayed satin black, raided our lass's nail varnish bag and nicked some glitter for stars ,polished snoopy a little, glued all back together as was, job done just struggling to put the case back on now 

Well done, :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Popperini
30 minutes ago, Nikosaldente said:

I wonder: Since your Mod had nothing to do with the movement, why did you have to take off the Caseback the first place?

My understanding is that Leet1983 did it "because it's there". Which, as you know, is always a thing that motivates exploration of the unknown, and the discovery of new and exciting... things.

Except that I'd already documented the pointlessness of the caseback removal exercise, for most of the length of this thread. :) 

Popperini
1 hour ago, TheGingerFerret said:

Wow! This really is next level modding!!!!!

You know what they say about sarcasm...

"It's the RWG form of wit."

GingerApple
8 minutes ago, Popperini said:

You know what they say about sarcasm...

"It's the RWG form of wit."

I was serious for once!!!!! Modelling clay!!!!! Next level. I bet the result will be shit mind you.....

• Like 2

Popperini
1 hour ago, Mike R said:

This thread's getting confusing, now that other members are jumping the gun and starting and finishing their projects while I'm still fannying around ordering modelling clay and going out for a walk.

The completed mod is by Leet1983. He didn't smash his glass - he got it out intact and has put it back in again.

I smashed mine, and don't intend to replace it, because the gen doesn't have a glass cover over the Snoopy scene. That's right, I'm going for the ultra close to gen look on the parts that no one will ever see. Meanwhile, at the front, the watch has a nice ticking seconds hand at 6. But what the heck... 

Just now, TheGingerFerret said:

I was serious for once!!!!! Modelling clay!!!!! Next level. I bet the result will be shit mind you.....

LOL! Very big LOL.

Retrouk
3 hours ago, Leet1983 said:

dSqj1.jpg dSmuv.jpg

How did you remove the rear glass in one piece ? Is it just glued in?

Leet1983
3 hours ago, Retrouk said:

How did you remove the rear glass in one piece ? Is it just glued in?

Seems it's just pressed in, i used a very small flat bladed screw driver down the side of the glass, plastic I suppose I was lucky it didn't crack , 

Retrouk
8 hours ago, Leet1983 said:

Seems it's just pressed in, i used a very small flat bladed screw driver down the side of the glass, plastic I suppose I was lucky it didn't crack , 

Ok, you two have me now looking at enamel paint and powder on eBay 

• Like 2

Popperini

I’m taking the week off from working from home, which seems slightly odd as I do sod all anyway...

So this morning, after the requested “tidy the garden” tasks had been completed in preparation for the first visit of our granddaughters since lockdown began later today, I messed about with the Snoopy some more.

Getting the caseback on again was stupidly hard - requiring “I’m going to bloody break it...” force using body weight on the “squeeze” action crystal press. But it’s done!

Next, I printed the Snoopy sculpture from a photo of the gen for reference when I attempt my own version. As I had suspected - the gen Snoopy is a little larger than the rep one.

8a96757b29fe78764009d5e2c8236fa2.jpg

So I’m waiting for enamel paint and the modeling clay to arrive - hopefully tomorrow. I’ll be plugging the holes in the donor dial/background next.

EDIT: I've actually ordered some low-temperature fired enamel powder in black and dark blue... it'll be fun to have a play with - I've not done any enamelling since I was at middle school! 

I also found myself (briefly) checking out sheets of silver... toying with the idea of making Snoopy out of the real material. I'm just not quite sure how easy it would be to draw/sculpt into... "Not very" is my guesstimate.

• Like 1

OJHorology

Witness the rise of @Popperini the snoopy modder - when will you start taking requests? 

18 hours ago, TheGingerFerret said:

Lmao, never underestimate a man with too much free time. He's printed it out to scale and everything.

• Like 1

Popperini

After quite a few false starts on sculpting a new Snoopy, I’ve switched to the easier task of making the new background... pictured is my awesome “flat disc assembly” setup, consisting of a butane gas can cum rolling pin, metal rulers as a depth gauge, and a blob of Fimo. I decided to use Fimo for the backdrop disc as it’s designed for use with low fire enamel powder. Seemed an easier option than trying to plug the holes in a donor dial.

Also pictured is the Efcolor low-temperature enamel that I’ll be coating my Fimo disc in.

7baa7486ec5bd242311e307e003d4832.jpg

Just after I took this pic, I went to carry on rolling out the Fimo and knocked over the enamel powder. The top came off and the powder went everywhere.

NCRich

:rofl:

Popperini

So if I was going for “Snoopy on the Moon” rather than Snoopy in space, this enameling process would be great. But as a way to get a nice flat gloss effect, it’s not really working...

89e5bec6bec0ab0346d3b9046b77832f.jpg

It’s been an interesting experiment/waste of time, but I’ll just use paint!