Popperini

How do I get this bloody Snoopy caseback off?

Popperini

On the plus side, the off-cut of Fimo makes a nice earring.

938bcc1bb19a4efe504a183863ab7ced.jpg

• Like 1

GingerApple

:facepalm:

Meanwhile Leet has been smoking cigars and fucking bitches for a week whilst wearing his vastly superior, finished product.....

• Like 4

SCShrek
48 minutes ago, Popperini said:

So if I was going for “Snoopy on the Moon” rather than Snoopy in space, this enameling process would be great. But as a way to get a nice flat gloss effect, it’s not really working...

It’s been an interesting experiment/waste of time, but I’ll just use paint!

Waiting on you Pop to "take all the ones for the team" before I do mine. The non quartz version case back is has zero star field...

whm9t.jpg

Nevermind @TheGingerFerret, he's still salty over Omega Speedie mods :lol:

GingerApple
10 minutes ago, SCShrek said:

Nevermind @TheGingerFerret, he's still salty over Omega Speedie mods :lol:

I've told you before, do not mention the 'incident' EVER AGAIN!!!!!

• Like 1

SCShrek
21 minutes ago, TheGingerFerret said:

I've told you before, do not mention the 'incident' EVER AGAIN!!!!!

Incident? What incident? There was an incident? ;)

whVj2.jpg

BTW, I didnt "mention" it again...just sayin :lol:

PS...you have twice as many likes as I have posts...how is that possible???  Thats a rhetorical question...

Junior88
9 minutes ago, SCShrek said:

Incident? What incident? There was an incident? ;)

whVj2.jpg

PS...you have twice as may likes as I have posts...how is that possible???  Thats a rhetorical question...

Because he talks too damn much? :rofl:

• Like 1

Popperini
57 minutes ago, TheGingerFerret said:

:facepalm:

Meanwhile Leet has been smoking cigars and fucking bitches for a week whilst wearing his vastly superior, finished product.....

He doesn't have a nice blue earring now though, does he?

• Like 1

GingerApple
16 minutes ago, SCShrek said:

Crunt.

I actually really like that dial and hands. With a nicely faded bezel insert, I'd be quite happy with it. Apart from the ticking thing.

6 minutes ago, Junior88 said:

Because he talks too damn much? :rofl:

:finger:

• Like 1

SCShrek
1 minute ago, TheGingerFerret said:

Crunt.

I actually really like that dial and hands. With a nicely faded bezel insert, I'd be quite happy with it. Apart from the ticking thing.

I actually liked the whole thing..insert included...but you wont hear me saying that in front of this bunch...wait...:blink:

• Like 1

Popperini

Right, here’s the progress on my Snoops - currently still sporting the Snoopy that came with the watch. The smattering of stars looks a helluva lot subtler in real life than in the pics, and I think I'm happy enough with it...

11ec7e3452f43daa042c15d0d54fef5d.jpg

a22e60273286da1e21cfb4bdc4bdbb4e.jpg

My next step will be to roughly get the shape of Snoopy in Fimo, then bake it, then try sculpting the baked shape. We’ll see...

EDIT: Although, looking at these pics just now on the PC and comparing it again with the gen, I think my stars are still too crude. I'll probably sand these off and have another crack at it...  :) 

• Like 2

GingerApple

Looking good now buddy!!!! Well done!!!! :clap:

It's nearly as good as Leet's.

• Like 1

Popperini

I spent all morning trying to sculpt Snoopy again... at this point, it seemed to be getting to the “okayish” stage...

b7c231eae77f488816ad3134662df753.jpg

But shortly thereafter I accidentally dinged the mouth, had to do it again, and fecked it up.

Working on sculpture the size of your fingernail, using a 0.00000000001mm drill bit in a pin vise and assorted home-made tools carved from Fimo. It’s a special kind of “fun”, that’s for sure.

I spend so much time while working on these watch projects thinking, “Ctrl-Z!!! Undo! Undo!!” I hate how that doesn’t work in real life...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

GingerApple

That's an excellent effort mate, (genuinely), but I don't get it. What are you actually trying to achieve? You seem to be trying to replicate the one your already have, or are you trying to enlarge it or something?

• Like 2

SCShrek
3 hours ago, TheGingerFerret said:

That's an excellent effort mate, (genuinely), but I don't get it. What are you actually trying to achieve? You seem to be trying to replicate the one your already have, or are you trying to enlarge it or something?

Pop is working from a print of the genuine snoopy...just like any watch, the proof is in the details. @Popperini, I applaud you brother and your exceptional OCD!!!! ;)

• Like 1

Popperini

@TheGingerFerret As SCShrek says - The print next to my effort is of the gen - in the photos prior to that, you can see how rough and ready the Chinese version is! I mean, it's not utterly dreadful, but it's pretty poor.

I'm attempting to improve on that rough and ready version... In an exceptionally OCD stylee. ;) 

I've always loved Snoopy - I want to do the lil' fella justice! :) 

GingerApple

Ahhhhhh ok, I see now. Yeah, the rep version is a bit poo when looking closely.

Which no one will ever do.

• Like 1

Pontiaddict
On 30/05/2020 at 12:58, narikaa said:

Be sure its a screw-down or a prise off

All the VK quartz ones I've seen are prise off - and recalcitrate b'tards they are too with an almost imperceptible knife slot behind the 11 o'clock lug

If so forget caseback knives use these:

s-l500.jpg

Locate the fairly sharp blade at the invisible knife slot and hold firmly in place while you get the back to lift with a swift tap (use the tool like you would a chisel)

Having done that unless you have the prehensile strength of Mighty Joe Young in your fingers you'll need a caseback press set to get it back on

I needed to replace the battery, popped the back easy enough but reassembly is truly frustrating... I do not have a caseback press &  as a disabled individual I also lack Mighty Joe Young’s grip strength... is there another tool or suggestion to consider?
Thank you

GingerApple
12 minutes ago, Pontiaddict said:

I needed to replace the battery, popped the back easy enough but reassembly is truly frustrating... I do not have a caseback press &  as a disabled individual I also lack Mighty Joe Young’s grip strength... is there another tool or suggestion to consider?
Thank you

I'm not being facetious, but perhaps a caseback press.

They're only cheap (at the bottom end). For example https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/lever-closing-press-heavy-duty

They have screw versions too if grip strength is a big problem (though they have a big lever).

Pontiaddict
18 minutes ago, TheGingerFerret said:

I'm not being facetious, but perhaps a caseback press.

They're only cheap (at the bottom end). For example https://www.cousinsuk.com/product/lever-closing-press-heavy-duty

They have screw versions too if grip strength is a big problem (though they have a big lever).

Ok, I’ll do that then; it can’t hurt to own the proper tool albeit a lower end model.

Thanks for the reply and advice.

Popperini
2 hours ago, TheGingerFerret said:

The advantage of the lever design is that you can (if necessary) use body weight to press down on the lever, so grip strength isn't really an issue. I've got the screw down version too - and for the reason I just mentioned, the lever one would win a squishdown any day.

I got my version of the lever press off eBay - it was even cheaper than Cousins's's's and came with a big bag of metal and plastic dies.

• Like 1

GingerApple
15 minutes ago, Popperini said:

The advantage of the lever design is that you can (if necessary) use body weight to press down on the lever, so grip strength isn't really an issue. I've got the screw down version too - and for the reason I just mentioned, the lever one would win a squishdown any day.

I got my version of the lever press off eBay - it was even cheaper than Cousins's's's and came with a big bag of metal and plastic dies.

Whatever happened to the Snoopy btw? Still unfinished?

Popperini
Whatever happened to the Snoopy btw? Still unfinished?

FUCK. I knew I shouldn’t have replied... :D

Yeah, it’s living in the projects cabinet until I feel up for another round of micro-sculpture. And actually, that’s no different to it sitting in the watch box, never getting worn...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

semperfi55
57 minutes ago, Popperini said:

Yeah, it’s living in the projects cabinet 

The same grim fate as many of my watches that have “disappeared” from wristshots. Before you know it, it’s a year later and you’re trying to figure out why was the watch taken apart...

Hope you get the motivation back! I’ve only just known about the thread but can’t wait to see the rest of the process!

• Like 1

Popperini
6 minutes ago, semperfi55 said:

The same grim fate as many of my watches that have “disappeared” from wristshots. Before you know it, it’s a year later and you’re trying to figure out why was the watch taken apart...

Hope you get the motivation back! I’ve only just known about the thread but can’t wait to see the rest of the process!

Yeah - that sounds exactly like me! :D I'm gonna give the micro sculpture another try "soon". FIMO comes in (at least) two varieties, "Soft" and "Professional", and I was using the "Soft" variety for my Snoopy sculpture - without realising I was doing so. The "Professional" stuff is a lot less... soft, and should be better suited to the task.

But I still needed to give my eyes a rest for, say, two months before another attempt. And in the meantime, I've been working on several other watch projects... In the case of one or two, I've even finished them! 

GingerApple
1 hour ago, Popperini said:

The "Professional" stuff is a lot less... soft, and should be better suited to the task.

I'm fairly sure you're not qualified to use 'professional' products.....

• Like 1