Psssniper

Mystery Vintage Rolex... what do we have here?

Psssniper

Friend and I were talking watches the other day and he mentioned that he had an old Rolex that he inherited from his dad. He sent me two pics and I have searched but am unable to find a match.  Maybe its a bad old fake? Maybe it's just old and undesirable? He asked what I thought of sending it to Rolex for refurbishing and repair and I said NO!!!! Explained vintage, patina, originality and all that jazz, he gets it. Now we are both curious as to what he has, it's approx value and whether it's worth restoration by someone who would keep it original.  He has no desire to sell it as it has sentimental value.  On to the pics!

wc68I.md.jpg
wcnA4.md.jpg

RussP

Whilst I'm no expert (and the pic quality could be better), I'd say it was from the 50's and possibly a bubble-back 5050.

I'd be in favour of a restoration, but I guess that'd put me in the minority.

Mystery Shopper

What is the dial size?

I just had a look on line and the Rolex Oyster 6xxx series from the 1950s look likely (like 6084, 6144) but I haven't found a match yet.

Psssniper

I'll check in with him tomorrow on the dial size and try to get some better pics :)

I'll try and get the watch in hand if I can!

fatarms

1955 Oyster 6422?

https://watchestobuy.com/shop/rolexoyster6422-htm/

• Like 1

fatarms

99% of the examples I'm finding of the mid-50's 6422 have the "PRECISION" wording on the dial near 6, and most of the ones without the "PRECISION" are baton hour markers.  So far, the one I posted above is the only 3 6 9 dial I've found without the "PRECISION" on the dial.

Psssniper
14 minutes ago, fatarms said:

1955 Oyster 6422?

https://watchestobuy.com/shop/rolexoyster6422-htm/

Holy smokes I think we have a winner!

Psssniper

Have the aforementioned 6422 in hand now, changed out a couple batteries on my friends quartzies and talked him into leaving this with me to do more research and try and open it up. Here are some initial pics. First impressions. The stem is broken, thus no winding or adjusting. A gentle twirl on the horizontal axis will get the second hand a brief breath of life as the balance wheel takes a little spin, then she promptly got stuck on the minute hand. First step will be getting the caseback off.  My fake rolex wrench kit No.4  28.30 tool is a bit too large and the No.3 is too small. The grooves are inset into a narrow opening with a fairly flat caseback compared to what I've seen on modern Rolex reps that have a sloped step, but my Gen Tudor Heritage Chrono has the same style as this 6422          The search for a stem is my next step.

Some specs i found:

Caliber

Movement Manual winding
Movement/Caliber 1210
Number of jewels 17

Case

Case material Steel
Case diameter 34 mm
Bezel material Steel
Crystal Plexiglass
Dial Champagne
Dial numerals Arabic numerals

On to the pics!

EMcpI.md.jpg
EMVa4.md.jpg
EMxVj.md.jpg
EMbk1.md.jpg
EM0Ov.md.jpg
EMSzK.md.jpg
EMFv8.md.jpg
EMf6R.md.jpg

Es5Gn.md.jpg
EsepE.md.jpg
EsLi2.md.jpg
Es2Vt.md.jpg
EshkF.md.jpg

EsIwo.md.jpg
EsqYk.md.jpg
Eso3D.md.jpg
Esi7Y.md.jpg
Esa8s.md.jpg

Es9GS.md.jpg

Psssniper

Found a stem, $30 Lets hope I can get that back off :)

FoxWilde

An expensive restoration that will be. A very interesting looking watch, I would’ve guessed it’s a bad fake from across the room :D

best of luck to ya bud!

Psssniper

Stem arrived today. Fake Rolex caseback opener No.3 actually did fit so that was a plus, opened her up and its pristine in there

NoADP.md.jpg
NohMJ.md.jpg
NoHKk.md.jpg

The hands have been stuck at 2:10 for a long time I imagine as there's a dark discoloration on the dial. Are the hands radioactive? Pulled the movement and took a guess as to the screw that would release the broken stem, it was the  most obvious and it worked. Here's the broken stem next to the new one that I cut to match. Also while I had a stem and crown I spun the hands and checked all the overlaps. Ended up giving the second and a little bend up on the end 1/3rd, the minute hand got a little tiny tweak downward at the post (is that what that's called?)

NoLqW.md.jpg

Did a trial fit and it was a couple threads too long so I cut it and tried again. Don't want to screw this up as the dang thing was $30 It fits  okay but I still feel it needs one more thread cut off to be perfect. Pulled the gasket off the caseback and threw the case and back into the ultrasonic. Gave the whole thing a little CapeCod and the crystal a little Polywatch. Next up dropped the movement back in, re-inserted the stem and crown, tightened the movement tabs and threw it on the time grapher. First readings were -37 sec per day slow. Let it run for a while and it was still holding so made some adjustments. Little here little there back and forth and ended up with this. Beat error is way beyond my pay grade, hell this whole thing is beyond my pay grade so it is what it is.

NoaBR.md.jpg

All dressed up and she'll be on the wrist for a couple days. Its been about 6 hours and its holding spot on but that's only 6 hours worth.

Noyq4.md.jpg

Thanks for reading this far!
NoohK.md.jpg

• Like 5

FoxWilde

Geez man all that work! Bravo sir!

Psssniper

Well it was either that or go to work.

Psssniper

This ones for you @FoxWilde

hey I’ll be in corsicana 7/18-8/1 if you’re anywhere near.... let’s grab a beer!!

Nl9Ji.jpg

• Like 1

FoxWilde

You’re on man! I’m on my way to Dallas anyways

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk