FunnyStarSystem

How to re-bond/weld a clasp?

FunnyStarSystem

Hi, looking for experienced opinions on the best way to bond a very small metal piece together, there are many options for sale (JB Weld, Bondix, metal glues) but I'm looking for something specific to this problem.

The connection on the left is strong, the one on the right has completely given way and there is perhaps 1 or 2mm space between the pieces needing reattachment, without bending the whole thing out of shape:

4aWj8.jpg

Here you can see the residue from a half-assed attempt using super-glue. The broken connection is directly below the screw:

4aaOK.jpg

The side which is still attached seems quite strong and would probably hold a long time, but I'd hate for the watch to go flying some day and be severely damaged. This is a Noob clasp and I'd like to repair it if possible. 

Thanks for any assistance!

GenTLe

If you take it to a jeweler (not a jewelry shop, I mean to someone that makes jewels), they have micro torches that go up to nearly 3000°C and they can weld it. I doubt anything else will last too much...

• Like 1

FunnyStarSystem
6 minutes ago, GenTLe said:

If you take it to a jeweler (not a jewelry shop, I mean to someone that makes jewels), they have micro torches that go up to nearly 3000°C and they can weld it. I doubt anything else will last too much...

Thanks @GenTLe. I'll take it to the Diamond District when I take some watches in for service. I was hoping for a quick fix but the spot is so small I'm afraid you're correct.

Maybe I'll take it to Howard Ratner :giggle:

NINTCHDBPICT000553941862.jpg

SteveA

I’ve had this happen on 3 different Rollies ,I have tried everything but that suggested above.Superglue,metal glue,epoxy resin you name it.Epoxy was best but still only a 5 minute fix,I think it doesn’t last because of the small surface area and the actually quite high pressure put on this part.

Good luck at the jewellers

• Like 1

FunnyStarSystem
18 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I’ve had this happen on 3 different Rollies ,I have tried everything but that suggested above.Superglue,metal glue,epoxy resin you name it.Epoxy was best but still only a 5 minute fix,I think it doesn’t last because of the small surface area and the actually quite high pressure put on this part.

Good luck at the jewellers

After attempting both JB Weld and superglue I began thinking this was the case, thanks for confirming you had the same issue. Maybe I'll just buy a new one from Raffles. I'll see what they want to repair it first, but it might be cheaper just to buy another. What did you end up doing in your !three! cases @SteveA?

SteveA

I fortunately had a spare,then bought one m2m,then got a sterile one from the bay and cobbled it together with the old one

• Like 1

paccbet
52 minutes ago, FunnyStarSystem said:

Thanks @GenTLe. I'll take it to the Diamond District when I take some watches in for service. I was hoping for a quick fix but the spot is so small I'm afraid you're correct.

Maybe I'll take it to Howard Ratner :giggle:

NINTCHDBPICT000553941862.jpg

this.jpg

• Like 1

FunnyStarSystem
7 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I fortunately had a spare,then bought one m2m,then got a sterile one from the bay and cobbled it together with the old one

Ah, well I know they sell them signed on Da Gate and HERE as well, if you ever get in another pinch. I wouldn't hesitate except shipping from China has become a real gamble lately, and I really like this particular Noob glide lock!

I appreciate you sharing your experience :thumbsup2:

Yaaasssssssss @paccbet!  I needed a xanax after watching that! :Jumpy:

• Like 1

SteveA
2 minutes ago, FunnyStarSystem said:

Ah, well I know they sell them signed on Da Gate and HERE as well, if you ever get in another pinch. I wouldn't hesitate except shipping from China has become a real gamble lately, and I really like this particular Noob glide lock!

I appreciate you sharing your experience :thumbsup2:

Great site Raffles ,thanks.

• Like 1

Dr Fun Socks

Ive had one laser welded at my old work and it still only lasted about a week. Definitely just get a new one. Its a shame but it is what it is. 

• Like 1