myaz

help changing a battery in an IWC Portuguese microstep watch

myaz

I ran into a roadblock trying to change the battery in my IWC Portuguese. 

4thpQ.jpg

It looks like an S11 0 Miyota movement (arrow 1).

Tabs over the battery don't look like they're made to be bent out of the way (arrow 2).

Removing the screws (arrow 3) to remove the plate over the battery doesn't help because of several tabs (arrow 3) wrapping around the edges of the movement.

4BjEb.jpg

I figure that if I can raise the movement about 3-4 mm, the battery will slide out sideways.

4B3Hp.jpg

I removed the crown but the movement won't budge.

Does anyone know how to change the battery? I normally can find something somewhere on the internet but came up short, way short here.

Thanks

BadApple

Say ta !!!!

NCRich

I didn't watch the video, but the part of the holder facing 6 is a clip.  Screwdriver tip under it to lift it up, slide battery out, slide battery in, clip back down. 

myaz

Ta!

Indeed a clip it is. Thanks BadApple and NCRich. Worked like a charm....Once you know you won't hurt it by putting pressure.

To wit, I had initially tugged and pulled before seeing the video but gave up thinking I'd break something......speaking from plenty of buggering experience over the years applying brute force to things big and small.

And it's also humbling how you found a video so damn quick

myaz

New battery just came in the mail. For those who skip watching the video but are still curious, here's what it looks like inserting the new battery.

The white sticker is a reminder to short the movement with a paper clip or other metallic conductor by touching the spot at arrow (labeled "AC" and more clearly visible above in original post) and the metal around it after placing the new battery.

MCjSP.jpg