FunnyStarSystem

Is there any such thing as a gen Seagull 1963?

FunnyStarSystem

A very Chinese conundrum, I've found this video endlessly fascinating! Enjoy;

Jibuti

I don't think so. Lifespan is around 30 years max... 

Alan32

Best research I have found from WATCHUSEEK jan 2019

Authentic Tianjin Seagull Factory- Seagull 1963 304 watches

Hello all,

There have been a few posts recently showing Seagull 1963 watches. 
You must understand that these "Seagull 1963" were not made by the Tianjin Seagull Factory in Tianjin. 
They are reproductions made in Guangdong.
I have spoken to an AD of Tianjin Seagull watches about this issue, and he is the one who confirmed these watches were not made at Tianjin Seagull Factory. 

How do you know you have a real Tianjin Seagull Factory Seagull 1963 304 watch:

1. The authentic Seagull 1963 304 will come in a Seagull zippered case with an extra NATO strap, and a Seagull instruction booklet. 

2. An authentic Tianjin Seagull watch will have "Seagull" on the case back. 

3.. The watch will come with a QR code sticker on the case back to authenticate the watch on Seagull's official Wechat store on the Wechat app. This is the most important thing!
(This is not true for the first limited edition Tianjin Seagull Factory Sea-gull 1963 304's as they were produced before June 2017, but I have examples of what those watches look like linked below. These are for reference for anyone buying a used limited edition.)

If your Sea-gull 1963 doesn't come with a QR code on the back then it is a not an authentic Tianjin Seagull watch. Or you can call it a replica or reproduction watch. 
But...don't expect the watch to have the QC or build quality of an authentic Tianjin Seagull Factory watch.

I will not post photos of the Guangdong version. There are many photos of those watches out there to view. The most obvious difference are the case backs. An authentic Sea-gull will have Sea-gull written on the case back. 

Here are photos of authentic Tianjin Seagull Factory Seagull 1963 304 watches(2018 limited edition version) 
If your watch doesn't look like this then it didn't come from Tianjin Seagull Factory. It is a replica.  

The Sea-gull zippered case, NATO strap and instruction booklet for the authentic version:

sqBgX.jpg sqt4c.jpg

But I'll stick to my sapphire crystal , exhibition caseback, 38mm replica of the prototype of the 1960s ish  watch that wasn't issued to the PLAAF cos its great:D

• Like 1

GenTLe

Interesting story :) Chinese people are "special" to say the least :D