Thommo82

Oris Big Crown Pro-Pilot

Thommo82

Hey guys, thought I’d share my latest addition to the family, the Oris Big Crown Pro-Pilot.

Got a great deal at a local AD and couldn’t resist.

Had some cape cod and a Bergeon watch tool turn up today too. Any tips on using the cape cod would be much appreciated, do I need to stay away from brushed surfaces?

I’ll just let the pictures do the talking;

8-DFCFC53-BADD-43-D7-9755-B586-C6-F60542

7495-BD9-C-6-C97-4781-9356-941456-C7791-

F8-AEC08-D-FEA2-4-D5-A-8560-749-E5-F1624

A220-F555-DB67-4-B74-A329-1-FC1719471-E0

DD947677-4538-4896-8800-F8-D6-F5968438.j

5-B711-E96-5-B78-4544-8636-F5-FA769-EC2-

251-DB848-0601-4-F6-B-9238-7-FCE7-ACD47-

12504-BFF-C9-B9-42-EC-B40-F-DFCADBE4405-

7-D267212-D5-FD-4-C0-D-96-A3-3296-E04-F8

E0704-A95-D519-4-F5-F-BD48-BA507856629-A

E8693-FB2-F81-C-4-A7-A-A24-B-762-F07-D8-

• Like 2

simey83

Lovely mate. Can’t praise Oris enough! Amazing build quality. I had the pro pilot chrono gmt and sold it. Regret it to this day!!! Wear in good health.

brang1

Just a beautiful watch mate, well done. Getting quite a solid collection now. My collection has gone down the toilet lately. Gone from about 60 watches to 5. Shit happens I guess. You are right, keep the Cod away from the brushed surfaces

solkryssare

Lovely, understated piece. Congrats!

yes, stay away from brushed areas with the Cape Cod.

Thommo82
19 minutes ago, simey83 said:

Lovely mate. Can’t praise Oris enough! Amazing build quality. I had the pro pilot chrono gmt and sold it. Regret it to this day!!! Wear in good health.

Agreed, fantastic quality. 
As good if not better than any of my other pieces

13 minutes ago, brang1 said:

Just a beautiful watch mate, well done. Getting quite a solid collection now. My collection has gone down the toilet lately. Gone from about 60 watches to 5. Shit happens I guess. You are right, keep the Cod away from the brushed surfaces

Few more on the way too Brent, and a couple in the shop that will feel like new when I get them back as he has had them for months now. 
And now I’m eyeing up a Formex Essence. If you don’t know the watch I highly recommend taking a peek. 

13 minutes ago, solkryssare said:

Lovely, understated piece. Congrats!

yes, stay away from brushed areas with the Cape Cod.

Understated is correct. Unless you are a watch guy you are not going to look twice at it, but those who know, know

• Like 1

Lagger

I have one, the quality is excellent, much better than my tag

IMG-20200519-WA0030.jpg

15915454991416462546978111758969.jpg

Thommo82
1 minute ago, Lagger said:

I have one, the quality is excellent, much better than my tag

IMG-20200519-WA0030.jpg

15915454991416462546978111758969.jpg

Do you wear it on other straps?

If so, what’s your favourite look?

I have a rough job and don’t want to scratch the bracelet up at work

Lagger

I bought it with the green canvas, it looks amazing on it but I much prefer the bracelet, which I bought special order from oris in Switzerland for £220 :-(

I like bracelets better,I don't really do straps Tbh

The canvas and buckle might be up for sale soon anyway

Thommo82
5 minutes ago, Lagger said:

I bought it with the green canvas, it looks amazing on it but I much prefer the bracelet, which I bought special order from oris in Switzerland for £220 :-(

I like bracelets better,I don't really do straps Tbh

The canvas and buckle might be up for sale soon anyway

The canvas looks great I think, interesting buckle system as well

Lagger

20180720_225217.jpg

20180723_130848.jpg

IMG-20180724-WA0020.jpg

Here it is on canvas and a brown strap I tried

Thommo82
6 minutes ago, Lagger said:

20180723_130848.jpg

That’s beautiful 

Thommo82
6 minutes ago, Lagger said:

20180723_130848.jpg

That’s beautiful 

Del

Very nice @Thommo82 - congrats!

I wouldn’t put a Cape Cod anywhere near that watch - doesn’t look like there are many, if any, polished surfaces. Best to use a refinishing pad to gently brush out any scuffs from the brushed surfaces of the bracelet and clasp, but I wouldn’t touch the case. ;) 

Thommo82
4 minutes ago, Del said:

Very nice @Thommo82 - congrats!

I wouldn’t put a Cape Cod anywhere near that watch - doesn’t look like there are many, if any, polished surfaces. Best to use a refinishing pad to gently brush out any scuffs from the brushed surfaces of the bracelet and clasp, but I wouldn’t touch the case. ;) 

Thanks Del, 

I have other watches in need of a polish, my Longines and Tissot, which I would like to keep in good nick. I’m guessing I better be pretty careful when polishing centre bracelet links. 
Any particular refinishing pads you could recommend?

Del
2 minutes ago, Thommo82 said:

Thanks Del, 

I have other watches in need of a polish, my Longines and Tissot, which I would like to keep in good nick. I’m guessing I better be pretty careful when polishing centre bracelet links. 
Any particular refinishing pads you could recommend?

This is the one I have:-

https://www.watchobsession.co.uk/collections/view-all-accessories/products/satin-steel-refinishing-pad

Just make sure you brush exactly in the same direction as the existing brush finish! Slow and steady is the way to do this.

Thommo82
3 minutes ago, Del said:

This is the one I have:-

https://www.watchobsession.co.uk/collections/view-all-accessories/products/satin-steel-refinishing-pad

Just make sure you brush exactly in the same direction as the existing brush finish! Slow and steady is the way to do this.

Many thanks 

Steve36

On polished surfaces with cape cod, literally just brush over the surface very gently to take any hairlines out, the more pressure you use the deeper the polish etc, so the mirrored or chromed surfaces would be in a right mess in a matter of minutes. 
however on buckles or bracelet clasps that are Matt you can add pressure to literally rub the scratches out. 
I’ve  used it years and never really had any issues using it etc.  

just have a practice with an old watch link for eg Best to err on the side of caution the first few times using it. 

RussP

Just noticed this thread.

Please accept my belated wishes on the latest acquisition, Reuben.

I've been eyeing Oris too, but may have to settle for a vintage piece as the current range is too large for my tastes.

Thommo82
37 minutes ago, Steve36 said:

On polished surfaces with cape cod, literally just brush over the surface very gently to take any hairlines out, the more pressure you use the deeper the polish etc, so the mirrored or chromed surfaces would be in a right mess in a matter of minutes. 
however on buckles or bracelet clasps that are Matt you can add pressure to literally rub the scratches out. 
I’ve  used it years and never really had any issues using it etc.  

just have a practice with an old watch link for eg Best to err on the side of caution the first few times using it. 

Thanks for the advice mate. 
I have been successful in removing some small scratches, it’s brilliant stuff! Works wonders and does it quickly

28 minutes ago, RussP said:

Just noticed this thread.

Please accept my belated wishes on the latest acquisition, Reuben.

I've been eyeing Oris too, but may have to settle for a vintage piece as the current range is too large for my tastes.

Russ this particular model I purchased wears both bigger and smaller than its 41mm.

The case shape makes it sit so well on the wrist and it’s lines seem to shrink it. 
On the other hand, the slim fixed bezel makes way for a larger dial than on other 41mm watches I own, giving it more wrist presence but more importantly, better legibility. 
I think if anything, it may be the lug to lug distance of 49mm that may put you off. I’m guessing up to 46mm is more comfortable for you right?

When I bought this piece, I was also looking at the Oris 65 which the sales lady informed me comes in a 36mm, so maybe that’s worth checking out?

RussP
1 hour ago, Thommo82 said:

Thanks for the advice mate. 
I have been successful in removing some small scratches, it’s brilliant stuff! Works wonders and does it quickly

Russ this particular model I purchased wears both bigger and smaller than its 41mm.

The case shape makes it sit so well on the wrist and it’s lines seem to shrink it. 
On the other hand, the slim fixed bezel makes way for a larger dial than on other 41mm watches I own, giving it more wrist presence but more importantly, better legibility. 
I think if anything, it may be the lug to lug distance of 49mm that may put you off. I’m guessing up to 46mm is more comfortable for you right?

When I bought this piece, I was also looking at the Oris 65 which the sales lady informed me comes in a 36mm, so maybe that’s worth checking out?

Yes, the '65 range has smaller sized watches, but I'm more inclined to get a pointer-date variant as I really like them more.

Thommo82
25 minutes ago, RussP said:

Yes, the '65 range has smaller sized watches, but I'm more inclined to get a pointer-date variant as I really like them more.

Which ever watch you choose I’m sure it will be great and I look forward to seeing your wrist shots 

Chixisigma

Boom! Love this. Congrats lad

Cxs

Thommo82
8 minutes ago, Chixisigma said:

Boom! Love this. Congrats lad

Cxs

Thanks mate!

Shes definitely a keeper 

brang1
17 minutes ago, Thommo82 said:

Thanks mate!