Del

How I bought a gen Sub 16610

Del

I was asked if I could explain how I bought my genuine Rolex Submariner 16610 and ensured it was actually genuine, so here goes...

To be honest, there probably isn't a lot to say here but it started with deciding what I actually wanted - seems simple but there is so much choice out there that it's best to narrow your radar and focus on a specific watch/model/year. For me, I was specifically looking for a Submariner 16610 from 1991 and so I started looking at what was on offer on Chrono24 and various local ADs that also stock pre-owned Rolexes (and list them on their website).

I did my research online to try to understand the particular Submariner specification that was current in 1991, which threw up a couple of things to think about. The first being that in 1991 Rolex used tritium for lume on their watches and that after around 15 years it will not glow! However, some watches from this era will have had the original dial, hands or bezel replaced with Superluminova parts during servicing/refurbishment (which is fine) but I fancied the original parts so that became part of my search criteria (the original dial has "SWISS - T<25" at the bottom rather than "SWISS MADE" on the newer dials). Another factor was that I wanted the original box and papers as this gave some assurance of it being the genuine article as well as adding a bit of value (and feel-good factor).

As for where to buy from, I discounted eBay entirely. I find eBay annoying and potentially risky so I concentrated on sources that guaranteed authenticity, gave a warranty and had good feedback from other buyers. Chrono24 certainly had good options (and even there I narrowed the search to EU only as I didn't want to pay import duty, and discounted private sellers too) but there was also quite a lot of choice on UK-based ADs.  It was just a case of regularly checking for new stock and waiting for a good option to come along.

I spotted the one I eventually bought on the Chisholm Hunter website (a local AD high street chain) but there were very few details posted, other than it was from 1991, the price and that it had box and papers. I contacted the AD via online chat and they sent me a video, plus confirmed some details. It really ticked the boxes! While deliberating, I sent the video to two of my RWG friends and they kindly gave me some information, advice and opinion, for which I am very grateful. I also negotiated a modest discount to the price, but getting anything significant on a Submariner was unlikely so I was pleasantly surprised with what I got (I'm a multiple repeat customer with them so that might have helped), plus the price was pretty competitive already.

The AD was also giving me a 24-month warranty with the watch and was guaranteeing authenticity so, risk-wise, this wasn't too much of an issue.

From all the information I had, plus the advice of my RWG friends, I felt it was a good watch and met my requirements so I went ahead with the purchase - then had to wait two days for it to arrive (that was torture! :lol: ).

When it arrived, I thoroughly checked it over, including removing the bracelet to check that the stamped serial number matched the serial number stamped on the (very old looking!) chronometer certificate (which it did) and I also checked that the serial number was from 1991 (it has a "X" serial number so can only be from 1991 :) ).  It also appears to have the very faded but original green sticker on the the caseback, which suggests that perhaps it hasn't been worn for the full 29 years...?!

I also checked the codes on the bracelet, end links and clasp. They are all Submariner codes but the clasp is not from 1991 (it appears to be from 1994) so the clasp (at least) must have been replaced at some point. No biggie as this appears to be quite common, as is changing the hollow end links to SELs but mine still has the hollow (rattley!) end links.

All in all, I'm delighted with the watch and have no doubts about its authenticity due to the various points noted above, as well as where I bought it from giving assurances.

So, that's how I bought my Submariner. Not super-exciting but perhaps this will help others embarking on a similar quest! :thumbsup2: 

Some pics here:-

Edited by Del
Link to photos added.
  • Like 12

RussP

Thanks for sharing the experience with the forum, Del.

• Like 1

Theviking

Great write up Del, any pictures?

• Like 1

NCRich
38 minutes ago, Theviking said:

Great write up Del, any pictures?

In his picture thread.

• Like 1

maplebank

Great story and beautiful watch :Applause:

• Like 1

Moondustesp

Great write up. 16610ln is one of my favs

• Like 1

Nikosaldente

Awesome story mate!

A couple of questions;

How long did it take you to narrow it down?

Is 1991 your Birth Year?

• Like 1

BravoDelta

Interesting , there's quite a lot that goes into buying a vintage Rolex :Thinking:

• Like 1

hasel5

vqrgS.jpg

My pearls just fallen out of mine gutted and of course can't find it 

• Like 1

Waspy

Good post Del, so no eBay then, got it.

24 months warranty, and guarantee of authenticity is great.

So when I get mine (HaHa) it looks like Chrono24 and ADs is the way to go.

• Like 1

n18lld
1 hour ago, Nikosaldente said:

Awesome story mate!

A couple of questions;

Is 1991 your Birth Year?

:rofl:

• Like 1

Del
1 hour ago, Nikosaldente said:

Awesome story mate!

A couple of questions;

I’m not entirely sure exactly as I’ve been looking on and off since the turn of the year. I had a saved search on Chrono24 so they emailed me any new watches that appeared in the search, and I just periodically checked ADs websites. I guess nothing really grabbed me until this one popped up (I think I’d seen it before but hadn’t followed it up due to lack of info - don’t know what made me go back to it!).

1 hour ago, hasel5 said:

Oh, bummer! :sad:

10 minutes ago, n18lld said:

:rofl:

Cunt.

:p 

• Like 1

Jibuti
1 hour ago, hasel5 said:

you can always ask someone here to make one for you....

SCShrek

Thanks dude. This is similar to what I am doing on a birth year 1675. Haven’t found one that isn’t either too expensive or hasn’t been changed out with service parts yet so I’m still looking. 

• Like 1

tribefan
18 minutes ago, SCShrek said:

Thanks dude. This is similar to what I am doing on a birth year 1675. Haven’t found one that isn’t either too expensive or hasn’t been changed out with service parts yet so I’m still looking. 

1675? What is the typical lifespan of an Ogre?

SCShrek
2 hours ago, tribefan said:

1675? What is the typical lifespan of an Ogre?

You is so funny! ;)

Hopefully longer than 50 years as I was born in 1970. This is what I'm looking for but with box/papers and no service parts under $20k. That has proven fruitless so far.

https://www.chrono24.com/rolex/1970-vintage-gmt-master-mk1-dial-creamy-markers-pepsi--id11628995.htm

Theviking
5 hours ago, NCRich said:

In his picture thread.

I missed that, thanks Rich. Great pickup Del. Wear in best of health.

• Like 1

CollieWobbles

Thanks for  sharing your experience Del, beautiful watch :thumbsup2:

• Like 1

Mystery Shopper

While deliberating, I sent the video to two of my RWG friends and they kindly gave me some information, advice and opinion

Modesty prevents me from commenting  :rofl: 

I better check my PMs.......

• Like 1

Hublot28

Great write up!! Hope it brings you many happy years! 

• Like 1

FudgyDocker

@Del - I think that offivyPic above is suggesting that your 16610 is a substitution for something else? :lol: