lebostonien

Rolex 116613 Noob date issues

lebostonien

Hello Folks, 

I have owned a Rolex Submariner 116613 Noob for a bit over a year now and i love the watch. But i recently started having problem with the date, i can't change it since it's stuck (note that it was never very fluid to change to begin with). Did somebody ever had similar issue with his Rolex? Will changing the crown and date wheel with GEN help fix the issue for good? 

Thanks for the help. 

Edited by lebostonien

Rokerite

It would help if you stated which movement is in it mate.

Rx4Time

Movement, and your location to direct you to a watchsmith would be good. 

lebostonien

It's Asian Clone 2836-2, Automatic Movement 25J

lebostonien
4 hours ago, Rx4Time said:

Movement, and your location to direct you to a watchsmith would be good. 

It's Asian Clone 2836-2, Automatic Movement 25J. 

I leave in the Boston Massachusetts area. 

5 hours ago, Rokerite said:

It would help if you stated which movement is in it mate.

It's Asian Clone 2836-2, Automatic Movement 25J.

thatjakea

I’d put my money on that it’s a faulty date gear. A renowned issue on the 2836.

With this in mind, changing the crown or date wheel won’t help in the slightest.

How knowledgeable are you with movement basics?  If you can take the watch apart, i can probably guide you to fixing it ☺️

GenTLe
6 hours ago, lebostonien said:

Will changing the crown and date wheel with GEN help fix the issue for good? 

Not at all on a 2836. Gen date wheel doesn't even fit that movement at all. It probably just needs a service, I've seen one of these after 1.5 years of use and the dirt that gets below the DW is appealing...

lebostonien
21 minutes ago, thatjakea said:

I’d put my money on that it’s a faulty date gear. A renowned issue on the 2836.

With this in mind, changing the crown or date wheel won’t help in the slightest.

How knowledgeable are you with movement basics?  If you can take the watch apart, i can probably guide you to fixing it ☺️

I have zero knowledge when it comes to watch movements. I'm willing to learn though. 

lebostonien
29 minutes ago, GenTLe said:

Not at all on a 2836. Gen date wheel doesn't even fit that movement at all. It probably just needs a service, I've seen one of these after 1.5 years of use and the dirt that gets below the DW is appealing...

That means i probably just need a good watchsmith. Do you know if there is a movement that can replace 2836 that is more reliable?

Rx4Time
4 hours ago, lebostonien said:

That means i probably just need a good watchsmith. Do you know if there is a movement that can replace 2836 that is more reliable?

Just buy an ETA 2836 and have it swapped in.  Problem solved and you have a watch which will run for years (decades with periodic maintenance). As far as watchsmith, there's many within the US who can do this.  Take a look in the watchsmith section.  There's a much more extensive list of watchsmith over on the sister site rwi, but the us based one listed here, Katt, I have used before for a movement swap. 

GenTLe
15 hours ago, lebostonien said:

That *is* a reliable movement.

Mechanical movements are like cars: you need to do an oil/filter change every now and then... You reached that moment. Changing it for another 2836 will not spare you from that: you'll pay for the new movement AND you'll need to do a service before to install it as normally they are on the shelf from quite some time, and you don't want to install it as it is...

lebostonien
4 hours ago, GenTLe said:

That *is* a reliable movement.

Mechanical movements are like cars: you need to do an oil/filter change every now and then... You reached that moment. Changing it for another 2836 will not spare you from that: you'll pay for the new movement AND you'll need to do a service before to install it as normally they are on the shelf from quite some time, and you don't want to install it as it is...

Thanks for the advice. I'll simply get the watch serviced. 

lebostonien
14 hours ago, Rx4Time said:

Just buy an ETA 2836 and have it swapped in.  Problem solved and you have a watch which will run for years (decades with periodic maintenance). As far as watchsmith, there's many within the US who can do this.  Take a look in the watchsmith section.  There's a much more extensive list of watchsmith over on the sister site rwi, but the us based one listed here, Katt, I have used before for a movement swap. 

I thing I'll get in touch with Katt to get the watch serviced first to see how it goes. Thanks for the advice.

Rx4Time

I wouldn't bother with a service.   Service will cost around $150.  New ETA about $230 plus installation.  The ETA will still be more reliable so the preferred option if it's a keeper.  

• Like 1