Mbari

Hello all, sharing my first Rolex 1680 build (PIC HEAVY) -- EDITED [Video Added]

Mbari

Hi all,

Been a lurker here for a while, thought its time to introduce myself and contribute to this fantastic community.  I am from Texas, a strategy consultant by day and a horology noob by night. Like most here, I love reading about the nascent rep pieces and get inspired to mod/build one of my own.  Over time, I have collected several reps, some built by the experts here and hallowed pieces like a TCV6. Recently decided to dive deeper into this hobby, taking the Rolex  plunge by getting a Gen 16570 and 16013 AT THE SAME TIME!! Also own several micro brand pieces and vintages like Cartier Tank, Omega 1020 Geneve etc. 

Once Covid forced me to stay home instead of flying 200k miles per year, I had to find a hobby. What better hobby than dive into (pun intended) modding a vintage sub. Thanks to NCRICH, pbdad, yodog and several others I got 2 pieces (1680 and 1665) from Marvellous and went to work.  Before starting on the 1680, I got my feet wet by modding a Tiger Concept 1016, a C&R cheapo 6538. It turned out to be a slippery slope as I quickly started acquiring tools, parts and devouring tutorials.  What motivated me most was getting my TCV6 working again. Somewhere back in 2014, the crown snapped and I made it worse by opening the caseback to replace a shredded balance wheel. It quickly went wrong when the loaded mainspring spun out to shred the dial and hands.  Off to work I went in late April and so far have accomplished the following:

• 1. Reshaped stubby crown guards on a 5513, changed bezel assembly from Clarks
  • 2. Got my TCv6 reassembled using gen ETA parts (Keyless, Mainspring, Balance spring, refinish dial, new hands from WSO, train wheels)
  • 3. Mod a 1680 using all Cartel stuff mostly. Waiting on parts for a phase 2 run to improve this project. 

Enough rambling and onto the 1680 project along with some candy shots :) Thanks so much for the tutorials. I finally mustered up the strength to work on the JKF myself. This is my first build. Any feedback would be appreciated. 

What I did on the 1680:

• Reshaped crown guard
  • Aged case, bezel and crystal 
  • Athaya 702 crown/tube 
  • Reshaped the lugs
  • Finishline dry lubed the bracelet 
  • Relumed dial and threw on a bit of matte lacquer 
  • Rusted hands 
  • Aged insert: waiting on a new one from wso as I don't like how the cartel one ages. 
  • Trimmed the stem, over trimmed by accident. 

EDIT: I got a bit inspired with the responses and the conference calls were boring today. So I did this :

vGxNW.th.png

Youtube Short Video

Now onto the pictures of the TC, 5513, and 1680 

vCgwX.md.jpg
vCcYc.md.jpg
vCV3I.md.jpg
vCx74.md.jpg
vCbrj.md.jpg
vC0L1.md.jpg
vCGGv.md.jpg
vCFCK.md.jpg
vCfi8.md.png
vCNVR.md.jpg
vCEwL.md.jpg
vC7YQ.md.jpg
vCvzS.md.jpg
vCM8P.md.jpg

Edited by Mbari
  • Like 4

FoxWilde

Having trouble with the pics, but that may just be me. I gotta see this build!

i remember last year I passed on a 16570 Polar (2005, box, papers) for $5000. My biggest regret next to turning down a 1675 for 6K. 
enjoy those gens mate. If you’re ever in Houston I’ll buy you a drink!

Mbari
20 minutes ago, FoxWilde said:

Having trouble with the pics, but that may just be me. I gotta see this build!

i remember last year I passed on a 16570 Polar (2005, box, papers) for $5000. My biggest regret next to turning down a 1675 for 6K. 
enjoy those gens mate. If you’re ever in Houston I’ll buy you a drink!

Sorry my dimwitt self could not figure out image posting until now. Edited the thread to show pics :) Hopefully this COVID thing will be over soon and we'll grab that drink in Houston. Thanks for the reply, means A LOT  for Noobs like me 

Mbari

The Gens candy shots 

vPIrJ.md.jpg
vPiPD.md.jpg
vPmSk.md.jpg
vPamY.md.jpg
vPqeo.md.jpg
vPOEP.md.jpg
vP1yS.md.jpg
vPyHW.md.jpg

• Like 2

Ibanez

@Mbari - mega ! the 1680 looks ace, they all do to be fair and picking up the craft since April - pretty amazing. Great fots too. :thumbsup:  

• Like 1

Mbari
[mention=40811]Mbari[/mention] - mega ! the 1680 looks ace, they all do to be fair and picking up the craft since April - pretty amazing. Great fots too.   
Much appreciated kind sir.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ibanez

Still trying to buy up knackered watches to build up my ageing and weathering techniques, though I'm at a loss on the rusting techniques. The chemical acid process seems to have a different outcome on each time. Not sure if it's something to do with nickel plating on different watch hands

Anyway - nice work 

Edited by Ibanez
  • Like 1

Piccolo

Nice work..! Definitely picked it up quickly.

I love that 1016 advert you’ve done... :thumbsup: Brilliant ! 

• Like 1

Mbari
Still trying to buy up knackered watches to build up my ageing and weathering techniques, though I'm at a loss on the rusting techniques. The chemical acid process seems to have a different outcome on each time. Not sure if it's something to do with nickel plating on different watch hands

Anyway - nice work 
I have had decent success with adding salt and rusty drill bit to hot water. You kind of have to rough up the hands a bit with steel wool. Depending on the material, the time will vary. Most importantly, the hydrogen peroxide bath after soaking, ironically, gets the rust. After it's done, I usually scrape off any excess. All said, I'm still in pursuit for the perfect aged hands. So of you figure it out, share the secret

Nice work..! Definitely picked it up quickly.
I love that 1016 advert you’ve done...  Brilliant ! 
Much appreciated kind sir. Had a blast re-creating the ad.

Ibanez
3 minutes ago, Mbari said:

I have had decent success with adding salt and rusty drill bit to hot water. You kind of have to rough up the hands a bit with steel wool. Depending on the material, the time will vary. Most importantly, the hydrogen peroxide bath after soaking, ironically, gets the rust. After it's done, I usually scrape off any excess. All said, I'm still in pursuit for the perfect aged hands. So of you figure it out, share the secret emoji6.png

I've tried a few methods, I've always had to key down the sheen on the hands, but with all the different watches, think some have etched and some have plated hands (and maybe I roughed up a bit too harsh) buy nothing consistent enough to look like an aged patina...

Anyway - I think you've got a real presenter knack for projects, would be good to see you post a few more projects up! keep it up !

• Like 1

Mbari
I've tried a few methods, I've always had to key down the sheen on the hands, but with all the different watches, think some have etched and some have plated hands (and maybe I roughed up a bit too harsh) buy nothing consistent enough to look like an aged patina...

Anyway - I think you've got a real presenter knack for projects, would be good to see you post a few more projects up! keep it up !
Aye aye cap'n!

• Like 1

Waspy

Great post Mbari, love that 5513.

Did you say vintage 1016?

Here's mine:

1016-003.jpg

• Like 1

Mbari
Here's mine:
1016-003.jpg
Love it! I wanted to get a $60 piece of Tiger that's an homage at best to the 1016. Now that I feel a bit more capable, 1016 build is in the radar after the 1665 is complete. Thanks for sharing and a kind words. Love me the 5513 too but the case has much to be desired.

Theviking

Boink! A great post @Mbari. Photos, taste in watches, willingness to mod. I look forward to more!

• Like 1

Jibuti

nice mate. now we need your adress...

• Like 1

FunnyStarSystem

I enjoyed the whole thread but...

This shot is sublime!

vCM8P.md.jpg

headtube

Love the double red. Some great Lume work! 

• Like 1

Mbari
nice mate. now we need your adress...
PO Box ok? I'll let you ship your scrap watches so I can learn more
Jokes aside, thanks mate. Means a lot to hear from fellow horology fans.

Love the double red. Some great Lume work! 
Much appreciated kind sir! Lume work is my nemesis for now, just bought a bag of dials to practice on.

Mbari
I enjoyed the whole thread but...
This shot is sublime!
vCM8P.md.jpg
Hahah thanks mate for the kinds words. This was an accidental lume phenomenon while watching TV in bed. Glad I captured it.

• Like 2

headtube
3 hours ago, Waspy said:

Here's mine:

1016-003.jpg

JMB w/ Yuki Dial? 

8 minutes ago, Mbari said:

Hahah thanks mate for the kinds words. This was an accidental lume phenomenon while watching TV in bed. Glad I captured it.

The Hands look great. how did you age them? 

Edited by headtube
  • Like 1

Mbari
The Hands look great. how did you age them? 
Trial and error mostly but here is a template I follow:

1. Steel wool to rough them up a bit.
2. Soak in hot salt water, vinegar with a rusty drill bit for an hour or two
3. Drain out the salt water and add hydrogen peroxide, wait an hour.
4. Pick them out, and air dry, this induces a bit of rust
5. Clean out the hands, remove lume, and relume

Hoping for a simpler solution going fwd.

FoxWilde

Great builds man, just saw these pics! 

I’ve got a love for 5513s. Mine says hello!

216-C3714-16-FD-4-D44-8665-E9-AE858605-E

Mbari
Great builds man, just saw these pics! 

I’ve got a love for 5513s. Mine says hello!
216-C3714-16-FD-4-D44-8665-E9-AE858605-EE.jpg
Oh boy she's gorgeous, do share specs please.

FoxWilde
Oh boy she's gorgeous, do share specs please.

A JAW build. Phong case kit custom cut and serial numbered for year 1969. Phong custom non serif dial (1969-1970), custom aged insert. Gen Rolex 1520 movement
:)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

RussP
8 hours ago, Mbari said:

I have had decent success with adding salt and rusty drill bit to hot water. You kind of have to rough up the hands a bit with steel wool. Depending on the material, the time will vary. Most importantly, the hydrogen peroxide bath after soaking, ironically, gets the rust. After it's done, I usually scrape off any excess. All said, I'm still in pursuit for the perfect aged hands. So of you figure it out, share the secret emoji6.png

Much appreciated kind sir. Had a blast re-creating the ad.

Your counterfeiting skills are exemplary.

• Like 1