k3l3k

1655 Explorer II Build Preparation

k3l3k

I have been following the rep forums for quite some time now in order to build up the courage to mod my Josh 1655 Exp II (DG3804B version)

I have some experience in watch modding but not enough to reshape the case, so, I will keep that for later. 

So far this is what I have got (or incoming)

• Josh 1655 base watch with a nice bracelet (and the DWO which I plan to use)
  • Clark Plexi 25-116 
  • A2836  (ANGZHOU HZ6460 GMT) movement
  • A serviced gen ETA 2983-2 movement
  • Tiger hands 

What I need some help with  

• A flat 4 bezel (with thin font). WSO  font is too thick, MQ charges too much. Any one have a spare?
  • 6mm gen crown and tube . What part number to look for?
  • I have never taken out a bezel or a plexi from a watch. Some guidance would be very useful, especially how to put them back (mainly alignment).
  •  Same goes for the crown and tube,  some pointers as to what not to do would be useful. Do I really need a stem vice to take the crown out?
  • Any better option than Clark Plexi 25-116?
  • Any better white DWO with open 6 & 9 but with dark thick font (ebay ones are thin & light font)?

I am itching to proceed with the 2893-2 but I am worried that the Josh case is not going to work (DG3804B is thicker than the 2893-2) ?

Are appropriate spacers available?

Also the date wheel overlay will need to go over or under (like here) the GMT gear (as explained here) which could be a challenge?

Thanks.

Edited by k3l3k
typo

k3l3k

Just realized why I am not getting any response on this. My post is in the wrong place (in reviews).  Mods please could you move the above post to where it belongs. Thanks.

J!m

What do you have for tools so we can help guide you. 

I work on gens, or gen construction, only these days and have amassed a bunch of specialized tools, as well as modified tools for certain jobs. You CAN get a crystal retainer out with a case back knife, but if you take it out of flat, the bezel will never rotate correctly. 

just today I placed a $200 order for supplies. The only “cool “ thing was a bezel ring that might work with my 16610 project...

If you want a gen crown, just find one. The smaller ones are easier and cheaper.  This will tell you which one you need for your case: https://blog.esslinger.com/generic-rolex-parts-crown-chart/

you will absolutely need to change the tube, so the old tube out, (perhaps) drill and then retap the case for the tube. Set with correct seals and correct grade of locktite. Aftermarket tubes are fine here; Star time, Otto Frei, WO990 all well good tubes. You’ll need the tube wrench if you don’t have it already. 

Yes, you will need a pin vice to get the stem from the rep crown, if you intend to Re-use it. If you are changing movement, you will be changing the stem too. Can you cut a stem properly? Do you have a die plate to straighten the threads after cutting? Do you have the correct locktite again to keep the stem from unscrewing?

youll need the other tube and crown gaskets. Even an nos crown will have dried out o rings. (Been there too)  New tube and case back gaskets too. The case back can be tricky with reps, as they don’t always use the gen diameter and cross section. (One of many reasons I avoid reps now). 

k3l3k
On 25/07/2020 at 01:00, J!m said:

What do you have for tools so we can help guide you. 
I work on gens, or gen construction, only these days and have amassed a bunch of specialized tools, as well as modified tools for certain jobs. You CAN get a crystal retainer out with a case back knife, but if you take it out of flat, the bezel will never rotate correctly. 
just today I placed a $200 order for supplies. The only “cool “ thing was a bezel ring that might work with my 16610 project...
If you want a gen crown, just find one. The smaller ones are easier and cheaper.  This will tell you which one you need for your case: https://blog.esslinger.com/generic-rolex-parts-crown-chart/

you will absolutely need to change the tube, so the old tube out, (perhaps) drill and then retap the case for the tube. Set with correct seals and correct grade of locktite. Aftermarket tubes are fine here; Star time, Otto Frei, WO990 all well good tubes. You’ll need the tube wrench if you don’t have it already. 

Yes, you will need a pin vice to get the stem from the rep crown, if you intend to Re-use it. If you are changing movement, you will be changing the stem too. Can you cut a stem properly? Do you have a die plate to straighten the threads after cutting? Do you have the correct locktite again to keep the stem from unscrewing?

youll need the other tube and crown gaskets. Even an nos crown will have dried out o rings. (Been there too)  New tube and case back gaskets too. The case back can be tricky with reps, as they don’t always use the gen diameter and cross section. (One of many reasons I avoid reps now). 

Thanks,  completely forgot about the lockite. What grade do I need for the crown tube and the stem?