Mbari

Yet another newbie build in progress - JKF 1665 DRSD [Pic Heavy]

Mbari

You can probably see from my post count, I am a newbie. Have been lurking for a while here and recently caught the "build bug". Sharing this 1665 build journey as I progress through this build. Thanks to @NCRich for this tutorial and countless more by others I was able to build my first vintage , 1680 Red Sub:

E4sBX.md.jpg

Onto the topic at hand, got me a 1665 DRSD from Marvellous, fantastic guy btw. Took the cheaper route by going with the DG2813 because A) Slow beat B) Keyless on ETAs scare me 

E4gnD.md.png

Put some time finding the gens I want to build after:

Loved the whole look of this:

EMDsk.md.png

Took CG ideas from this:

EMzqJ.md.png

Loved the bezel on this:

EM3XP.md.png

Did all the work today so its fresh off the press. Not going to go into the details of disassembly because  this tutorial has it all. Thanks again NCRich!!

Step 1: Getting the retaining ring out was a pain! Ran into my first problem, the bezel insert in the JKF was trash. Aging it made it trashier but thats on me.  Waiting for a Yuki insert now but here is what I have now, it doesnt have the faded metallic sheen. Instead its more chalky. Need some cleaning up around the edges

E4dqj.md.jpg

Step 2: Went to town with my dremel to shape the CGs and installed Athaya 702 crown/tube after shaving and milling the countersink. The tube went right in but I used some loctite to secure it. Need to polish the case to a mirror finish. Any idea how to do it with a dremel? I seem to still see some hairline scratches instead of a mirror finish. Maybe use higher grit sand wheel before compound finish?

E4PMv.md.jpg

E47Kb.md.jpg

Step 3: The obligatory Finishline bath for the bracelet

E4E9p.md.jpg

Step 4: Next up, rusting the hands. Used steel wool to rough it up a bit, shaved off some rust from an old forgotten FATMAX into salt and vinegar, where the hands are taking a bath. Pulled them out to see progress and looks like its making progress 

E4fDF.md.jpg

E4Fqt.md.jpg

E4GX2.md.jpg

Step 5: Now onto the dial, not going Bonsey style heavy aging, just relume (yeah....daring) and matte coat. Kind of messed up with the lacquer by being a bit trigger happy. Im a newbie after all :)

Mid way through lume process, let is settle a bit and then I pressed down to make it even(ish). Love me some puffy patina lume. Came out much better than my last attempt. I still got ways to go here

E4XD1.md.jpg

Acceptable job, C+ grade work will have to do for now

E4uRi.md.jpg

Had both t39 versions from Clarks, checking out which one to use, superdome won of course. Looks like its all coming together 

Superdome:

E4xQ3.md.jpg

E4M5c.md.jpg

Regular: 

E4JRs.md.jpg

Next Steps:

• Lume the hands
  • Age Yuki bezel insert into a Clark Bezel
  • Oh and I cut the stem too short  so waiting on extenders to make it better 
  • Put it all back together and add one more to the collection. 

Is there any need for shaving the mid case? Appreciate any additional feedback/thoughts/advice

That's a wrap for the day! Thanks for reading/viewing. 

• Like 2

paccbet

Crown guards look great! Always hated the chunky CGs on the JKF but so far it looks like they've improved it a little bit. Great Job overall!

• Like 1

Mbari
Crown guards look great! Always hated the chunky CGs on the JKF but so far it looks like they've improved it a little bit. Great Job overall!
Thank you! CGs from factory are so chunky , they need their own zip codes, one for each cg. See first qc pic

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Mbari

Finished for now until other parts get here e40a9fcd9d21450d1feda9b92397ca46.jpg32c4b692ac435af7e0c0beeafd1671d0.jpga6a73d4c58034064eca77f52c535b24d.jpg

• Like 1

Mbari

Making progress! Had a Clark bezel and Yuki insert from my 5513, put it on and its looking like a finished product. Need to set the insert in a bit more for the recessed look. Any feedback? 9a5588abcd653d62fa82f1ff2fc59bfc.jpge12afa2cfed1a679118b47952f5b9182.jpg3fd94ea4a330c787cadc9e7f44d2f4df.jpgf28439fe37067a833cf869370178255b.jpg3ca61828d95259af8d68abb53c587378.jpg

• Like 1

edwinowl

Some good bits there. I’ve been there and done all that. Enjoy the ups and downs my friend. 

• Like 1

Nikosaldente

Great job mate!

Well done :clap:

• Like 1

Mbari

The dial and insert were bothering me ...latest update 106c11dc8b9abbaf690fcc09755b58a4.jpg

• Like 2

tribefan

Magazine photo there. Spectacular.

• Like 1

Mbari
Magazine photo there. Spectacular.
Much appreciated

Edeeot

Outstanding build and great pictures, I hope to one day get to build my own time piece.

• Like 1

NH_Vintage
The dial and insert were bothering me ...latest update 106c11dc8b9abbaf690fcc09755b58a4.jpg

I know I'm very very late to the party. Can I ask is both the Dial & Insert in this photo from Yuki?

Sent from my SM-A217F using Tapatalk