NCRich

Tudor transitional 79190 - completed

NCRich

I've found that I really tend to like the Tudor subs better than the Rolex for a number of reasons.  Seem to have more character and the plus is that no one thinks they are fakes like they automatically do with Rolex.  I've built the older models but I acquired a good Rolex rep with a gen swiss movement and amazingly a regular ETA datewheel rather than a Rolex DWO.  So I thought it would be ideal for a 1990's model Tudor Prince Oysterdate.  The 1995 79190 is pretty ideal for this since it was a strange puppy in that they were changing from plexi to sapphire and trying to move away from Rolex.  So the dials were inconsistent in the printing, and you get this in the gen.

Tudor-79190.jpg

and this

tudor-79190-different-dial.jpg

I thought it would be a good change of pace.

I found a raffles dial which really is just painted, no lume

OD-dial.jpg

IMG-7632.jpg

its sort of a light yellow color on the indices, pretty basic cheap dial.  The funny thing is that the lume on the dial doesn't seem to match hand lume on most of the pics I can find.  So the real question is do I want the lume on the hands to match?  I was getting ready to strip and lume these hands and then I thought I'd put it together and see.  So I lumed those indices with white lume, which on top of those yellow plots gives you just a touch of cream in look.  The hands are factory white.  I then just lightly sprayed the dial matte to knock the cheap off it.  Lighting makes a difference in how it looks as you can see.

IMG-7740.jpg

IMG-7735.jpg

I'll finish this when I get the insert and caseback and post the finished product.

So I think I may leave it like this.  Any opinions?

OK so now to finish.

Tudor case back from Raffles, an insert from Cousins with a Athaya pearl.  Could fade the insert a tad, but I quite like it like this I think.

IMG-7910.jpg

IMG-7912.jpg

IMG-7915.jpg

IMG-7918.jpg

IMG-7922.jpg

IMG-7924.jpg

IMG-7925.jpg

IMG-7901.jpg

• Like 3

paccbet

Leave it like that

• Like 1

Howitzer

I think that looks excellent @NCRich, I'm a huge fan of this reference and almost all I've seen have some variance between hands and dial lume. .

Looking forward to seeing the final product :D 

• Like 1

Jasonbaylee
Leave it like that

+1

Wow wow
  • Like 1

MAJ75

I have a feeling this project is going to yield a beautiful result @NCRich...

As a pure coincidence I was lusting over the one below on the Bay this morning.....

s-l1600.jpg

• Like 4

Howitzer
38 minutes ago, MAJ75 said:

I have a feeling this project is going to yield a beautiful result @NCRich...

As a pure coincidence I was lusting over the one below on the Bay this morning.....

s-l1600.jpg

Same here! :rofl:

GingerApple

It's lovely, but maybe the lume is slightly too puffy? The Gen looks fairly flat to me, yours looks quite curvy. That's if you care about accuracy; it certainly looks nice regardless.

deju

Yet another great project. :clap: Can’t wait to see more progress pictures 

NCRich
1 hour ago, TheGingerFerret said:

It's lovely, but maybe the lume is slightly too puffy? The Gen looks fairly flat to me, yours looks quite curvy. That's if you care about accuracy; it certainly looks nice regardless.

I've found that it won't look that way in a watch.  That is a macro pic of the dial so every tiny thing is exaggerated.  An imperfection the size of a pin looks like a mountain.

Hold it 6 inches away under a sapphire crystal and you can't see it with a naked eye.  It will look barely rounded.

In any event I'm not gonna fuck with the lume now.  As an old boss of mine used to say, don't let perfection be the enemy of good. :lol:

• Like 1

tribefan

Love this thread!

1 hour ago, GenTLe said:

Just by curiosity I checked on Chrono24... YIKES!!!

These things cost nearly the same of a new subC!

https://www.chrono24.it/search/index.htm?query=Tudor+79190&dosearch=true&searchexplain=1&watchTypes=&accessoryTypes=&goal_suggest=1

Indeed. $9K for a 1997 with an ETA 2824. No box or papers. That is just screaming to be repped.

• Like 1

GingerApple
47 minutes ago, NCRich said:

As an old boss of mine used to say, don't let perfection be the enemy of good.

It is a very neat lume job :thumbsup2:

Mbari

Dude your lume work is getting stronger by the build ! Excellent

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

• Like 1

WhiteChocolateJr

Great work! Looks good so far. 

mclarendude

Love love love it.

Stufuse

That is lovely! I personally like the Tudor subs too. This reference is great.

I would darken the hands a little even if doesn’t match the lume just to take that edge of the white tint.

How much did it all set you back? if you don’t mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BM284

That’s a great result as always Rich :thumbsup2: you can send it over the pond to me for a test drive any time :) 

BadPickle

Looks great, shame they don’t do the blue dial or I would be on that, what lume/mix did you use? 

NCRich
20 minutes ago, pickledbeetroot said:

Looks great, shame they don’t do the blue dial or I would be on that, what lume/mix did you use? 

Thanks, I just used Watchlume with some white watercolor paint mixed in.  I find that works better on vintage stuff than the other types.

NCRich
1 hour ago, Stufuse said:

That is lovely! I personally like the Tudor subs too. This reference is great.

I would darken the hands a little even if doesn’t match the lume just to take that edge of the white tint.

How much did it all set you back? if you don’t mind.

Not much.  The dial is $30 and the case back is $25.  The original watch I got on M2M as a blue sub with a broken date change and really unknown movement.  Easy fix.

• Like 1

Stufuse
Not much.  The dial is $30 and the case back is $25.  The original watch I got on M2M as a blue sub with a broken date change and really unknown movement.  Easy fix.

I want one !