AAH1483

Possible movement swap?????

AAH1483

I have a omega gmt good planet and wanted to know if it can be swapped? It's the gmt 43.5mm x 16.5. Its says 8500 movement to replicate the 8605. Can it be swapped for the ETA 2824 or 2836??

FudgyDocker

Depending who made it, it's possible. VSF used a 2824 base for their SMP diver clone movements, but god knows what you have. It could be anything. A picture of the movement might help someone.

:ttiwwop:

FudgyDocker

AAH1483

It is made by vsf .This is the best I can do with picture of movement. 

NozRD.jpg

FudgyDocker

Black balance wheel etc, could be a VSF. However, being a Good Planet, doesn't that mean it's a GMT? Neither a standard 2824 or 2836 are GMT movements, and I think whatever base is used for the clone is modified, so I don't really know what would replace that, I'm afraid. My knowledge is limited.

Flinnt

It’s a strange swap going to non GMT. 
It will all depend on whether stem height works or not. You’ll need to custom make your own movement ring and you may need new hands (and you’ll have to lose the GMT hand). 
Is there a problem with the movement? Have you considered trying to source another VSF movement? The 8500 this is based off has shown to be pretty reliable so far. 

AAH1483

The 1st day I got it checked it out and it was perfect but didn't wear it until a month later then shook it a little to get it going then the unthinkable happened, tried changing the date and the tube stripped. No winding. Got in touch with strodda and he said the tube is probably gone. Also the date wont change the normal way. I noticed in order to change the date you pull the crown out all the way to change the time but the hour hand only moves doing it. Its crazy :facepalm:

Edited by AAH1483
Word repeating

AAH1483

Do you guys know where I can possibly source a new tube and stem?

Flinnt

The 8500 and variants work this way in gen (and thus clone). There is no quick change date. Date is changed by a jumping hours hand which can go forwards and backwards to change the date. If you had the gen this is how it works. 
The rest of what you say is confusing to me. You say the tube stripped...fair enough. But it stripped whilst changing the date? The tube is not engaged with the crown when changing date. Nothing is touching the tube when changing date. Unless you were attacking your tube with an angle grinder whilst you were changing the date...then it just makes no sense. 
You say “no winding” which makes me think maybe by ‘tube’ you mean stem.  But then say Strodda says the tube must be stripped. But winding, date changing, everything you describe is independent and not related to tube. 
The tube is what the crown screws down onto. If you strip the tube you can still change date, still wind, still do everything except screw the crown down. 
If you can’t wind it has nothing to do with the tube. Having to jump hours to change date is normal. This jumping hours shouldn’t be with crown pulled all the way out as you describe, it should be in position 1. Position 2 (all the way out) should change the minute hand, and hour hand relative to the minutes. 
Can you check and better describe what you’re talking about? As I say, stripping a tube and not winding are unrelated unless I’m totally missing something. No quick change date is normal on this movement.