Sign in to follow this  
SB56667

Review: IWC F.A. Jones skeleton

SB56667

This puppy came in the mail from Minorva today, a Chinese ebay seller who mostly sells rep models that are branded Minorva. I'd been in search of the model for a while...it apparently was in production a year or two ago and is still listed on the sites of the cartel sellers, but they told me they no longer had it.

Another RWG member pointed me in the direction of Minorva, having gotten one there himself -- Minorva apparently has a number of these and is auctioning them off one at a time. I got mine for $151, shipping to US included. (Not bad considering that the cartels had it for $138, shipping not included.)

Still, non-trusted dealer...I had my concerns. So here's what I got, very well packed, shipped in just over a week from China Post. (Strap is mine -- came with a plasticky black POS.)

IMG_2065.jpg

IMG_2061.jpg

IMG_2064.jpg

44mm, 22mm at the lugs, lovely decoration on the movement. Hands are nicely blued and actually surprisingly readable. The tiny second hand at 6 o'clock (gulp) is less visible.

Totally unbranded (Minorva didn't actually list it as an IWC), as is the gen. Here's a side-by-side comparison:

GEN:

IWC-FA-Jones-skelly-gen.jpg

REP:

IMG_2063.jpg

You can see that the decoration on the movement is more intricate on the gen, and there's also less empty space at 10 o'clock, giving the gen a more balanced look overall. Also, the rep has no decoration on a few of the pieces at 3 o'clock.

Still, I'm pleased with the purchase. It's an attention-grabber without being gaudy, and the balance wheel seems to be whirling in midair.

One question for the IWC experts out there: Is the second hand at 6 o'clock the kiss of death, as it seems to be on IWC Portugueses? How does the movement on this compare to the poorly modified ones used on the Portugueses?

mspangl
:lol:

jameo210369

Nice pick up SB, she will be a talking point when people see her.

powderfreak
:daffy:

Martin, that's not nice of you! Your mommy is angry now :lol:

Congrats to your new watch, sb.

SB56667
:Whistle:

?

Nice pick up SB, she will be a talking point when people see her.

Ha! Thanks!

theflyingdutchman

Great watch! Here the RG-version:

03.jpg

02.jpg

04.jpg

gB.

:)

Where did you get that one Dutchy...?

Luthier
:)

Every dealer has it.

This skeleton is $40 on Watch Market. Same as mine Breguet.

019-2.jpg

020-1.jpg

SB56667
This skeleton is $40 on Watch Market. Same as mine Breguet.

Right, I've got one of those too. So does that mean it's something more stable/reliable than the modded movements for the IWCs that Francisco and others have warned against?

theflyingdutchman
:lol:

Trusted dealers 3 years ago!

Kutio

Amazing some of these machine engraved rep movements and even more amazing how little they go for.

Thanks for the share.