dingle

dingle's first vintage build

dingle
This thread brings a whole new meaning to the phrase 'trailer park modding'

I love it! :facepalm:

:facepalm:

there....that felt better :lol:

dingle

As promised, here are a few pics. The hands were aged with sweet tea and acid flux with an accidental drop on a hot solder iron...I think they came out great :dingleberry-nemesis:

They are now installed on the movement and the movement is keeping perfect time. Take a look at the non existence canon pin. Does this look okay?

5908618374_f11338dc04_z.jpg

5908065197_1e2622b3ba_z.jpg

5908624422_6e7dc16f6e_z.jpg

5908068801_e7954343ab_z.jpg

5908632556_2bdc36216e_z.jpg

5908628348_079075e906_z.jpg

Now awaiting proper length stem and strap to arrive and all will be complete :(

KeNnY

you didn't shorten the stem by your self ? Why ? :dingleberry-nemesis:

dingle
you didn't shorten the stem by your self ? Why ? :dingleberry-nemesis:

the crown screws on and has a push feature as well. I tried a few test setting the stem in the epoxy, but it would not set straight. I had a hell of a time cleaning the mess it created and just ordered one as I did not want to damage the crown.

in short, I was scared :(

rsea

Hi Dingles

Looks like you've got your head around it now

Did you do the soldering job yourself? looks like a good job for a first timer

The trick with the stem is to screw it on, test, trim and repeat until it's the right length THEN glue it in place. Gluing is the simplest job of the lot. Just put a tiny dab on your thread and screw it in. Because you've already confirmed the length you'll be sweet

Sometimes you'll struggle to get that perfect length because the movement is able to shift in the case. Because you're using a molly you've probably got a perfect movement ring but if you have any play at all with the movement it should be shimmed. Otherwise you'll have headaches getting the stem length right

This is ABC stuff once you've done a few but probably mind boggling for your first time

dingle
Hi Dingles

The trick with the stem is to screw it on, test, trim and repeat until it's the right length THEN glue it in place. Gluing is the simplest job of the lot. Just put a tiny dab on your thread and screw it in. Because you've already confirmed the length you'll be sweet

Sometimes you'll struggle to get that perfect length because the movement is able to shift in the case. Because you're using a molly you've probably got a perfect movement ring but if you have any play at all with the movement it should be shimmed. Otherwise you'll have headaches getting the stem length right

This is ABC stuff once you've done a few but probably mind boggling for your first time

thanks for the tips mate.

Yes, I did the solder job myself. I have another little hobby that requires and vast amount of soldering. This solder job was a piece of cake :)

rsea

Nice to hear something went smoothly

BTW what's your other hobby? I might want to steal tips from you hahaha

dingle
BTW what's your other hobby? I might want to steal tips from you hahaha

............I have to keep that info under wraps :)

the key to a good solder job is acid flux and a nice iron set to the correct temp :P

KeNnY
in short, I was scared :)

ha ! lol :P

greg_r

Nice work, Ding - it's really looking the part.

By the way, that previous comment of mine was intended as admiration.... :lol:

ebzen02

Dingle.. trim a bit more off of the soldered lugs.. the crown/stem are looks fantastic.. Also, you might want to think of a square shape when visualizing the overall shape. What I mean is that you should take some metal off the sides toward the center.. just a little more..

ebzen02

BTW!!! Very proud of you Dingy!! Good job!! You now have a few more chest hairs!

dingle

thanks guys. A couple of questions

1. Every pic I see of this case has a different hand set. These hands seem to be on the 6152.....are mine correct for a 3646?

2. Every pic I see has a canon pin that can be seen. Mine is a black hole. Thoughts on this?

houndoggie
Hi Dingles

thanks for the tips mate.

Yes, I did the solder job myself. I have another little hobby that requires and vast amount of soldering. This solder job was a piece of cake :lol:

stained glass windows?

circuit board sweat shop?

Member X
thanks guys. A couple of questions

1. Every pic I see of this case has a different hand set. These hands seem to be on the 6152.....are mine correct for a 3646?

2. Every pic I see has a canon pin that can be seen. Mine is a black hole. Thoughts on this?

1. I wouldn't worry - there seems to be a million different combinations and 'one-offs' in existence, and when are you going to meet a vintage PAM WIS? Never :sarcasticclap: so just build something you think looks nice :kinkythegayviking: Pencil hands will be going in mine eventually! lol

2. You only notice it because you know it's there... :) Although you could find a pin or some thin wire that fits into the gap and glue it in place, then replace the hand on the stack?

sconehead

Ding, http://tinyurl.com/canon-pinion

...you're getting there mate...:kinkythegayviking:

SB56667

Hot damn! This looks outstanding, ding! Hats off! :)

dingle

The black hole is now gone. I manufactured a pin to fit in the hole. The hole was about 2MM deep......

This was very hard to do and the look is still a bit off if studied closely. How can I avoid this on future builds as this was by far the hardest part of the build?

Pics coming this weekend, hopefully with the strap :q5:

rsea

It's those hands you used. They're not necessary on a 3602 / 3603 build because you've already got H3

Next time buy regular molly hands from NW or River

Member X

High Cannon Pinions are on athaya's list of things to do... lol

dingle

disaster tonight.

I received the new stem, but the silix crown has stripped it's tube. No real force, just shit happens I suppose. I have contacted Silix to see what, if anything, where he can help.

The new stem also snapped in half. Again, not much force, I was just unscrewing the crown that came with the molly movement from the new stem, one wrong twist and bang (was trying this as the silix crown was now stripped)......thankfully rsea has a few extra he is sending me at cost.....

speaking of cost, this is starting to cost me a small fortune.....:D

rsea

Chill man

The first couple of builds are always the most painful. Just be patient and it'll all come together

houndoggie
disaster tonight.

I received the new stem, but the silix crown has stripped it's tube. No real force, just shit happens I suppose. I have contacted Silix to see what, if anything, where he can help.

The new stem also snapped in half. Again, not much force, I was just unscrewing the crown that came with the molly movement from the new stem, one wrong twist and bang (was trying this as the silix crown was now stripped)......thankfully rsea has a few extra he is sending me at cost.....

speaking of cost, this is starting to cost me a small fortune.....:D

Glue it all together and sell it as a VDB. $$$$!!!

rsea

Glue? A1 brother