FunnyStarSystem

Accutron Spaceview 2020

FunnyStarSystem

Holla! This might just be the electronic watch to rule them all. Hodinkee has all the deets;

https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/accutron-spaceview-2020-and-accutron-dna-introducing-live-pics-and-pricing#&gid=1&pid=1

accutronnew086316by9.jpg?ixlib=rails-1.1

07-22-20200811.jpg?ixlib=rails-1.1.0&fm=

spaceview-exploded-073019.jpg?ixlib=rail

I just realized Citizen are removing Bulova from the name and launching Accutron as its own brand (a la Imperial, Lexus, Infinity, Acura, Genesis). I think it's a mistake, Bulova has built a lengthy history and without that name, it just sounds like a $19 watch from an internet ad. Only time will tell of course.

tribefan

Sweet watch. Not $4K nice, but pretty cool.

brang1

I agree, removing Bulova is not a good move, nice watch though

paccbet

• Like 2

Thommo82

$4000??

Serioisly? Fuck me.....

Lovely looking thing, but Bulova should most definitely be on the dial

• Like 1

Intresting

Omega and Zenith did this accutron thing decades ago.   Think it was just before the quartz revolution.  Cost thousands to send it back to Omega to fix now.   You can get vintage Omega accutron for far less money than that...

FunnyStarSystem
14 hours ago, Intresting said:

Omega and Zenith did this accutron thing decades ago.   Think it was just before the quartz revolution.  Cost thousands to send it back to Omega to fix now.   You can get vintage Omega accutron for far less money than that...

Omega, Zenith (with Movado) and others collectively tried and commercially failed with tuning fork and then quartz models, fearful of being left behind during the period of modernization, which is why their efforts aren't really considered terribly collectible: https://electric-watches.co.uk/makers/omega/omega-f300-tuning-fork/

Bulova, however, "invented" the successful electric tuning fork watch, which is why this is such a big deal. Same way anniversary and throwback Speedies are a big thing. Technically Hamilton was out with an earlier electric watch, but it was not successful and I don't believe used the tuning fork. So Bulova was the big man on campus for nearly a decade before Seiko stole their game with the quartz Astron.  Here's the Hammy just for comparo: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/the-amazing-made-in-america-hamilton-electric-the-worlds-first-battery-powered-watch

So this is nostalgia money, a collectors item etc. And given how ridiculously expensive a made-by-the-millions three hand Rolex is now, I don't see $4k as out of bounds. Hell a well used Breitling Aerospace Evo can be anywhere from $3k to $5k, I just don't understand how they expect to sell them without the Bulova name. I won't be buying one, but I'm sure a lot of older guys who started as engineers and maybe had an original would like to add one to the collection, but again, it should say Bulova. Of course there will be cheaper models, this is the flagship.

The concept debuted last year at Baselworld for the 60th anniversary: https://www.hodinkee.com/articles/citizen-electrostatic-accutron-concept-movement-introducing

I love the minutiae of watch making history, it's a lot more interesting than what is available today would lead you to believe. :)

Intresting
4 hours ago, FunnyStarSystem said:

I love the minutiae of watch making history, it's a lot more interesting than what is available today would lead you to believe. :)

Thanks for this tidy executive summary FSS!  :)   Its a real niche watch then.  All I remember is my watchsmith telling me the Omega Accutron parts are only from Omega and that there is an electronic part that breaks down regularly and will set you back many hundreds each time.    Yes, I don't understand why the Bulova name is dropped.  

ERROR404

I love the look of the  Accutron 114. This one doesn't do much for me. 

At $400 it would be a good buy.  At $4k... I think they missed the boat. 

trailboss99

At 4K it would want to have the Bulova name on it, have Citizen gone insane? 

darryldale

Love the looks but the price is a dealbreaker. No way I would drop 4K on that and there are several other watches more worthy of my money in that price range.

Hell I would even consider one of the original bulova spaceviews which are still floating around for 25% of that price......